Options

Cameron reveals Silicon Valley vision for east London

Comments

• Options
    nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/it-strategy/2002/05/27/necs-scotland-pullout-threatens-450-jobs-2110924/

Wouldn't it be better to try & secure the jobs of these workers.These comments by Cameron are a load of bollocks.Unless he actually does something to actually reverse what is happening at the moment it will remain bollocks - he didn't actually make any commitments in this statement did he.

If you want it reversed you need to look toward Holyrood rather then Westminster, in this case anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "Conservative Party" should be penalised for false branding. There is nothing conservative about them.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    The only thing 'Silicone Valley' about Stratford are the breast implants all the Essex girls have.:D
  • Options
    TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The only thing 'Silicone Valley' about Stratford are the breast implants all the Essex girls have.:D

The big society?

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    We used to have a 'Silicon Fen'
    Very true, that's the closest we've got to Silicon Valley.. But most companies have struggled to take off because British investors are more interested in real estate than tech.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MGBCTV wrote: »
    Who will realistically obtain these jobs

Well, that is of course the downside. Those international firms are in for a shock as soon as they start interviewing the product of our appalling state education system...

It's no wonder they're looking for a relaxation of the immigration cap.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not really consistent with the massive cuts to IT funding for schools

On the plus side, it'll spare Facebook and Twitter the bandwidth...:D

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    RelugusRelugus Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Activision boss Bobby Kotick is not impressed:

Bobby Kotick, chief executive of Activision, the giant games company behind products such as Call of Duty – which has brought in than a billion dollars in sales – and Guitar Hero, recently said that without tax breaks it made no sense to invest in the UK: "It is ridiculously expensive to live in the UK, especially in London," he told Develop. "What dictates our expansion plans would be whether we can compensate our employees fairly and whether they can achieve the quality of life that they want."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/nov/04/video-games-developers-david-cameron

Those insanely high London house prices are working out well for us, aren't they?

Britain is falling behind in the biggest entertainment business in the world. I can see Sega, EA, Ubisoft, and Square Enix (who own what remains of Eidos) ditching the UK in favour of Canada.
    We are dependent on these foreign giants because, as has been stated by others on this thread, investors only seem to be interested in property.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I completely agree with you, Relegus.

This is something the government needs to address.

Sure, giving those pernicious, venal businessmen tax breaks may not meet with resounding electoral approval, but better some tax than no tax (and no jobs) at all!

And that scheme should be extended across all industries prepared to invest in the UK up and down the country.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Doesn't the UK already have an equivalent of Silicon Valley in Silicon Glen up in Scotland?
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    stripedcat wrote: »
    Doesn't the UK already have an equivalent of Silicon Valley in Silicon Glen up in Scotland?

Yes, but Scotland is even further away from London than the likes of Manchester or the West Midlands. Now I guess we know how the Americans felt before their war of independence. I can't say I blame them at all for wanting to be rid of rule from London.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TimCypher wrote: »
    I completely agree with you, Relegus.

This is something the government needs to address.

Sure, giving those pernicious, venal businessmen tax breaks may not meet with resounding electoral approval, but better some tax than no tax (and no jobs) at all!

And that scheme should be extended across all industries prepared to invest in the UK up and down the country.

Regards,

Cypher
    Yep I feel the same way, people get arsey over it and complain but it still generates tax and creates jobs and more investment.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relugus wrote: »

Bobby Kotick, chief executive of Activision (and all round twatface) - yes I added that last bit in :D

If it's upsetting ol Bob then it can only be a good thing. He says it's expensive living in London, heh has anyone seen his pay the last few years not to mention bonuses, investments etc.

Bobby Kotick himself is one a one man mission to destroy the gaming industry so if it's pee'ing him off then it can only be a good thing in my eyes.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Very true, that's the closest we've got to Silicon Valley.. But most companies have struggled to take off because British investors are more interested in real estate than tech.
    Indeed, the processors in most of the world's mobile phones and portable devices were originally designed there. But it's certainly stagnated in recent years over there.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent news!

This is precisely what the government should be doing - let's bring in the big companies - let's get in that external investment (who cares if it costs a tax break?) and create jobs for our fellow countrymen.

I hope they have similar schemes in mind for the North of England - Manchester would be a good start.

Regards,

Cypher

Like the Sheffield Steel works they declined a loan, even though Vince Cable admitted to the select commitee the proposal had met all the Goverments "good investment" criteria?
  • Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Scotland's silicon glen was to be the miracle cure for the industrial blight she suffered under the Tories.

'Tis funny that miracle cures are only efficacious in the SE though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Like the Sheffield Steel works they declined a loan, even though Vince Cable admitted to the select commitee the proposal had met all the Goverments "good investment" criteria?

I don't agree with government acting as a sub-prime lending facility, so I don't care what criteria they met.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Anything that creates jobs has to be good, not sure why it should be in London when employment is worse in the north though.
    Still if it is a success maybe the government intends to extend it to those places were unemployment is at it's lowest ?

There is already a center for software centered currently in the Old Street area.

The swathe that was described in the article (Hackney) is one of the poorest borough's in the country - despite it's proximity to the city
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with government acting as a sub-prime lending facility, so I don't care what criteria they met.

I have nothing against the government acting as a lender of last resort in companies in the National interest (what is the National Interest is is another argument) - however I'm not convinced the government should be investing in companies who are quite able to attract commercial investment but that has been declined by the owners for personal financial reasons (as in the Sheffield case)
  • Options
    slapmattslapmatt Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relugus wrote: »

Bobby Kotick, chief executive of Activision, the giant games company behind products such as Call of Duty – which has brought in than a billion dollars in sales – and Guitar Hero, recently said that without tax breaks it made no sense to invest in the UK: "It is ridiculously expensive to live in the UK, especially in London," he told Develop. "What dictates our expansion plans would be whether we can compensate our employees fairly and whether they can achieve the quality of life that they want."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/nov/04/video-games-developers-david-cameron

Those insanely high London house prices are working out well for us, aren't they?

Britain is falling behind in the biggest entertainment business in the world. I can see Sega, EA, Ubisoft, and Square Enix (who own what remains of Eidos) ditching the UK in favour of Canada.
    We are dependent on these foreign giants because, as has been stated by others on this thread, investors only seem to be interested in property.

How many people are employed in the games development industry, compared to financial/HR/payroll and other "boring" software industries?

Games are cool and trendy, but they are no more than a very small niche industry.
  • Options
    slapmattslapmatt Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/it-strategy/2002/05/27/necs-scotland-pullout-threatens-450-jobs-2110924/

Wouldn't it be better to try & secure the jobs of these workers.These comments by Cameron are a load of bollocks.Unless he actually does something to actually reverse what is happening at the moment it will remain bollocks - he didn't actually make any commitments in this statement did he.

Some people have a strange idea of what a "hi tech" job is. Soldering PCBs and screwing together PCs is not hi tech. It is little more than a modern day production line.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    slapmatt wrote: »
    How many people are employed in the games development industry, compared to financial/HR/payroll and other "boring" software industries?

Games are cool and trendy, but they are no more than a very small niche industry.

The computer games industry is actually bigger than Hollywood. (see http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2009/sep/27/videogames-hollywood)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people have a strange idea of what a "hi tech" job is. Soldering PCBs and screwing together PCs is not hi tech. It is little more than a modern day production line.

And?

These are the kind of jobs we need in the UK. Jobs where we produce things and then sell them abroad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As has been mentioned the Games industry is now bigger than Hollywood and the UK has produced many of the biggest selling titles.

Anything that creates jobs that pay more than the minimum wage should be ecouraged, It all adds to the wider economy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Regards,

Cypher

Sub prime? Steel is a sub prime industry now. Jesus the Tories are a thick bunch.

But tax breaks are ok? :rolleyes: