WHAT was so hard to understand....AMAZING EPISODE

Tillymint82Tillymint82 Posts: 946
Forum Member
✭✭
SERIOUSLY hwta were people not getting about the episode

The doctor follows a signal to the planet trenzalore where he finds that the signal is from the Timelords on gallifrey that has been sent through the crack in time.

The signal sent through is a saftey measure by the timelords to ensure they arent being lured into a trap. They trust the doctor and the doctor alone after he saved them in DOTD. to make sure its really him they ask the question DOCTOR WHO.

the PAPAL MAINFRAME is scared the timewar will begin a new has half the universe waiting ready to attack should Gallifrey return. To ensure this doesnt happen Tasha lem reorders the mainframe and calls it the Chgurch of the Silence. And in order to prevent the 2nd time war 'Silence will fall'

The doctor decides to stay on Trenzalore and ward off the Church and help keep the link with Gallifrey and save the people of the planet.

The Timelords give him a new set of regenerations as a thank you and also to ensure that they will one day return from the netherworld

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

It was a wonderful beautiful send off for 11 and i have hated his incarnation since he arrived but i was so pleased with this episode.

Epic and amazing and the AMY POND cameo just made it.

If you didnt enjoy tonight then i think you need to find a new show because this was certainly a return to form for a lifelong fan like me.

Comments

• TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

The doctor follows a signal to the planet trenzalore where he finds that the signal is from the Timelords on gallifrey that has been sent through the crack in time.

The signal sent through is a saftey measure by the timelords to ensure they arent being lured into a trap. They trust the doctor and the doctor alone after he saved them in DOTD. to make sure its really him they ask the question DOCTOR WHO.

the PAPAL MAINFRAME is scared the timewar will begin a new has half the universe waiting ready to attack should Gallifrey return. To ensure this doesnt happen Tasha lem reorders the mainframe and calls it the Chgurch of the Silence. And in order to prevent the 2nd time war 'Silence will fall'

The doctor decides to stay on Trenzalore and ward off the Church and help keep the link with Gallifrey and save the people of the planet.

The Timelords give him a new set of regenerations as a thank you and also to ensure that they will one day return from the netherworld

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

It was a wonderful beautiful send off for 11 and i have hated his incarnation since he arrived but i was so pleased with this episode.

If you didnt enjoy tonight then i think you need to find a new show because this was certainly a return to form for a lifelong fan like me.

agreed, it really was epic, loved the regeneration scenes
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why so people assume that if you didn't enjoy it you didn't understand it. I understood it perfectly well. Just didn't enjoy it.

I hoped he'd have a more explosive ending. A doctor dying of old age is IMHO boring to watch. Yes we get why he did it etc but besides the last ten minutes I was bored,

I loved Matt once I got over the fact he wasn't 'my doctor' David Tennant. But even now I far far far prefer RTD's who to Moffats.
  • CaptainRobboCaptainRobbo Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great summary and we'll put!

Best Christmas special ever!
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I understood it, or the gist of it, and I've not really followed Dr Who since Eccleston left. It was good, and sad at the end, but I have to say I did find it whimsical, and those not already initiated into the cult might have wondered whether it was worth staying with. I thought it was one for the fans, but as there are an awful lot of those these days, that was probably just fine.
  • CylinderCylinder Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I understand, but to me this is nonsense built upon nonsense.
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

I understood it too, but it didn't stop it being crap :(
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

You find it very hard to imagine anyone having a different opinion to you.

But believe it or not, many fans of the show didn't enjoy tonight.

That's just the way of things. Stop prescribing your likes and preferences onto other people.

I found it a clever resolution of different loose ends, but emotionally very unsatisfactory.
  • Series_ArcSeries_Arc Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Wasn't a huge fan aside from the last 5 minutes. For me, i dont like all the 'Star Wars' buzzy about scenes, and I found Matt's final speech about being 'different people' a bit like a drunk ranting at a half eaten kebab.

Furthermore;

Did it ever explain how the Doctor got Clara out of his own grave and his own timeline on future Trenzalore?

But i must say i loved the touch with Pond, and the loss of the bow tie.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's always at least one thread where the OP assumes that their opinion and only their opinion is valid and everyone else must be thick....

Newsflash for you: people can have different opinions about the episode.

I understood it perfectly, in fact I thought it was one of the least complicated episodes Moffat's ever written, but I thought that was to its detriment - it seemed terribly anticlimactic, a bit cliched and just generally a bit sub-par, though I thought Matt and Jenna were great.

Its central theme of the Doctor's determination to save those people and Clara perfectly fitted Matt's Doctor, and the flashback to Amelia and Amy was wonderful (in fact the tie-ins to the rest of the 11th Doctor's tenure were the best things about the episode), but the speech at the end was a little overblown, it just seemed a little bit flat overall, and Peter Capaldi's lines at the end were frankly just bizarre.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's always at least one thread where the OP assumes that their opinion and only their opinion is valid and everyone else must be thick....

I understood it perfectly, in fact I thought it was one of the least complicated episodes Moffat's ever written, but I thought that was to its detriment - it seemed terribly anticlimactic, a bit cliched and just generally a bit sub-par, though I thought Matt and Jenna were great.

Its central theme of the Doctor's determination to save those people and Clara perfectly fitted Matt's Doctor, and the flashback to Amelia and Amy was wonderful (in fact the tie-ins to the rest of the 11th Doctor's tenure were the best things about the episode), but the speech at the end was a little overblown, it just seemed a little bit flat overall, and Peter Capaldi's lines at the end were frankly just bizarre.

I think this thread is largely directed at the people who were commenting about how confusing it was on the main thread. Some were moaning about not following or understanding the programme during the programme. And they don't see the irony.
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mostly this, but I could have done without Amy being in it.

Agree re. Jenna's jubblies though.
  • kaob82kaob82 Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    I get all that happened but I'm still confused! His grave was on Trenzlone so does that mean that didn't happen? Was it another reset? Why did river have a gravestone before but not pop up? Was expecting her to due to the stone.

Why wasn't papel mainframe mentioned before or have I totally missed that? It felt like a lot was just shoe horned in tonight's episode and was bit underwhelming instead of ah yeah I get that. Loved Mat's performance and will miss him as the Doctor he kept me watching even when I was lost! I was never going to 100% love tonight's episode as we had to say goodbye to Mat who has been a joy to watch.
  • anteroantero Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    99% of it was Moffat at his best since he took over IMO, very few writers can wrap up so many storylines as effectively! But the Timelords "sending a whisp of new regeneration energy through the crack" was one of the weakest moments in Who.
  • sparks812sparks812 Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Who had trouble understanding? It was a too simple story. Staying awake may have been more trouble. IMO Christmas episodes have mostly been slow and weak. Unfortunately for MS his "death" comes on a Christmas episode. The story had a funny and then informative start by tying up some loose ends. A boring, useless middle and a nice end for MS. That kinda sums it up. I liked Amy showing up, I thought it was a nice touch and comfort for The Doctor before he changed. Wouldn't you want to see your favorite person in the world if only for a second before you die? I realize that he had already shot the flames out to save the planet but I didn't care for how "poof" he was PC.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, and understood it. Even at my great age! One thing I was surprised about was the speed at which the new Doctor appeared!
  • indomitableindomitable Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it but watched it with a Not We (the bf who's seen all the recent series) who was totally baffled and bored by it. TBH I thought it felt more like an episode of Star Trek The Next Generation which was fine in the 80s but I'm hoping for more story than timey wimey when it returns with the amazing Peter Capaldi.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE

Quite! I thought it was amazeballs too and yes, the story was pretty straight forward.
  • Daemon666Daemon666 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    antero wrote: »
    99% of it was Moffat at his best since he took over IMO, very few writers can wrap up so many storylines as effectively! But the Timelords "sending a whisp of new regeneration energy through the crack" was one of the weakest moments in Who.

And this is what was missing. There was a whole arc on the other side of the crack to be explored which would have leant some kind of emotional impact to what they decided to do and why. They could have included Rasilon, the Master, Romana etc and boosted the episode up to 90 minutes. They could even have had the first Doctor there and closed the circle because it's never been clear what actually started his journey and this could have been woven in if he'd actually started there.

There was also a lack of anything happening on Trenzalore. Most of the episode seemed to be aimed at moving Matt Smith towards the exit rather than the natural conclusion of the story being a regeneration and the Time Lords stepping in to ensure it wasn't the last one.

To me, this seemed far too much like Moffat desperately wanting to resolve the 'last regeneration' question himself before being moved on to other duties rather than leave it to the next show runner. Seemed rather selfish to me.
  • BoinngBoinng Posts: 5,752
    Forum Member
    It was poor, and made no sense. I don't mean that I didn't understand it, I just mean that I understand it was nonsense.

The timelords were asking the question through the crack in order to know they'd found the right universe and to come back through. The doctor then defended the planet (mainly from people only interested in him anyway) for several hundred years rather than think of ANYTHING better to do, and without confirming his name to the timelords.

Eventually Clara tells them the doctor is there and they believe her enough to send through some pixie dust to solve the regeneration problem in a wink of an eye, but they still don't come through, and then seemingly give up on the whole idea. I'm sorry, what??!
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Great summary and we'll put!

Best Christmas special ever!

Which really isn't saying much as the specials are abysmal.
    I really wish they would do away with them !
  • vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member
    Just because you understand something does not mean it makes sense, maybe you just don't see the blatant flaws in the internal logic. So the time lords want to get the doctor and only the doctor, so they broadcast a message through the whole of time and space thereby attracting all their enemies. They then wait for an answer for hundreds of years and when Clara gives them confirmation they decide not to come back after all. The reason the doctor won't give them an answer is because he doesn't want another war, so we end up with hundreds of years of war on trezalore instead. And the big threat to the time lords is the daleks, who get wiped out in a few seconds thanks to a bit if regen energy. In the few seconds after sending the regen energy and the destruction of the daleks, which makes it safe for gallifrey to return, the time lords decide to close the crack, despite waiting for hundreds of years. During the centuries on trezalore the doctor ages for some reason, and can't think of any way out, despite him being, well, the doctor.

None of this makes sense. Its easy to understand, and providing you don't think too much it may even be satisfying, but ultimately it was nonsense.

But that wasn't all that was wrong with the episode. The silly Christmas theme served no purpose, the Christmas dinner at Clara's, the fact that most of the action was narrated not seen, the relegation of the doctors worst enemies to little more than plot devices which are wiped out in a few seconds, the regent limit when the doctor had already met 13.

However the worst part was the attempt to tie up loose ends. All the way through moffats tenure there has been a big bad behind the biggest threats, the explosion of the tardis, river song etc. And now we have the reveal and its a couple of throwaway lines about some breakaway sect which we don't even get to see, let alone see defeated by the doctor. Just incredibly bad storytelling.

But some people will ignore all of this while giving themselves a big slap on the back for understanding it
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series_Arc wrote: »
    Did it ever explain how the Doctor got Clara out of his own grave and his own timeline on future Trenzalore?

The implication in the episode always seemed to be that he knew exactly how to get out and it wasn't difficult but he simply refused to leave without Clara. He tells her once he's in there that his timeline is collapsing around him because he's in it and she tells him 'get out then', he says 'not without you'. So he knew the consequences of going in, could have left at any time but he stays to save her. How he subsequently gets out isn't apparently important. Day of the Doctor seems to take place some time after this considering Clara's change in life circumstances (the fact she's also apparently not at all affected by being split across 1000s of lives which she clearly carries some memories of is unfortunately another example of Moffat dropping the emotional ball).
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,096
    Forum Member
    Complicated? No. Convoluted. Definitely.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. The OP'S comments are typical of what is wrong with this forum recently. Just because one person likes it, they seem to think everyone else should like it as well. Disliking an episode seems like blasphemy punishable by death at the moment!

I watched this episode while half drunk and it still made sense. I found it better than the 50th but it wasn't perfect by any means.

Unlike the OP, I don't expect everyone to agree with me and anyone who does won't be sought, located and exterminated!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair to the OP, I think it was a response to the first 1-4 pages of the TOTD thread, where DS users seemed to be dropping in just to shit on Dr Who.

That said, the rather harsh vibe of the forum is killing my xmas buzz :o