Options

How long will Scotland blame England for there problems?

2»

Comments

• Options
    delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I take it you mean from now on?

Certain Scots have been doing it all of my life, and it's a trend that's been off and on for hundreds of years.

It's no coincidence that support for Independence got a substantial boost when Braveheart was released.

nonsense

Braveheart released 1995

1992 election, SNP got 22.1%
    1997 election SNP got 22.1%
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if there is a YES How long will Scotland blame England for there problems?

1 year, 5 years, Forever?

Im going for FOREVER

The vast majority of Scotland is prosperous and relatively problem free, that's a fact, very low crime rates, very low unemployment, better performance in education than England etc. its Glasgow that's the problem, Glasgow has simply never been able to look past Mrs Thatcher and trust me that's every bit as annoying to someone in Inverness as it is to someone in Iver.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Because we are still beholding to Westminster for the money to run the thing for starters And another thing Why is it that Scotland is the only country in the history of the world to discover oil and become POORER?
    For me Turk it is simple We want to shape our own destiny and stand or fall by the choices we make

Utter utter pish. Scotland has the second highest GDP per capita in the UK, only London is ahead of us. Yet another deluded nationalist lie.

The industry is located in the NE of Scotland, which has an unemployment rate of 0.9% and is one of the wealthiest regions in Europe, Glasgow's problems is that average Glaswegian would rather sit on the dole and moan about food banks than travel 140 miles every two weeks to work in the oil industry. Simple as.
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    Because we are still beholding to Westminster for the money to run the thing for starters And another thing Why is it that Scotland is the only country in the history of the world to discover oil and become POORER?
    For me Turk it is simple We want to shape our own destiny and stand or fall by the choices we make
    That's fair enough. You make a good argument and If you're going to have more power I'd rather you did it by full independence than by going for devo-max which would aggravate me and other English people (as well as Welsh and N.Irish) even more.
    For the record I'm not one of those who thinks an independent Scotland couldn't survive on its own, especially as you do have oil. I don't think you'll always find life easy but you'll be fine overall.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,595
    Forum Member
    The Turk wrote: »
    That's fair enough. You make a good argument and If you're going to have more power I'd rather you did it by full independence than by going for devo-max which would aggravate me and other English people (as well as Welsh and N.Irish) even more.
    For the record I'm not one of those who thinks an independent Scotland couldn't survive on its own, especially as you do have oil. I don't think you'll always find life easy but you'll be fine overall.

Cheers Turk Whatever happens Yes or No things are going to change on this small island and I hope that they change for the better for everyone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure Plaid Cymru would disagree with you on that one.
    You're right about Plaid Cymru but in general I don't get the feeling the Welsh demanded devolution with the same force the Scots did and when their referendum came along, though the majority of those who voted had voted in favour of independence, the majority of the Welsh population didn't bother voting at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    14th highest GDP in the world, no house of Lords, no Trident, simpler tax system.

we'll be fine

every other country manages its own finances, we invented economics, ffs
    Do you mean to say you'd have no upper chamber? Has Alex Salmond talked about what he thinks on this issue?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at least 20 yrs. i bet maggie is smiling up there on her cloud. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheers Turk Whatever happens Yes or No things are going to change on this small island and I hope that they change for the better for everyone
    I think you're right. I hope that change will result in devolution for England which I've wanted for years. On Newsnight tonight I saw a discussion on that very subject which has been so rare to see. John Redwood and Peter Hain were in the studio to discuss with the interviewer about what kind of devolution they wanted for England. Redwood is in favour of an English parliament while Hain prefers assemblies for each English region. I don't care what kind of devolution we go for as long as it covers the whole of England. I'm just glad we're finally talking about this issue properly so I think you're right, this referendum is going to change the UK a lot and I too hope it'll be for the better, for Scotland and the rest of the UK.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nonsense

Braveheart released 1995

1992 election, SNP got 22.1%
    1997 election SNP got 22.1%

simple and effective.. great post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Utter utter pish. Scotland has the second highest GDP per capita in the UK, only London is ahead of us. Yet another deluded nationalist lie.

The industry is located in the NE of Scotland, which has an unemployment rate of 0.9% and is one of the wealthiest regions in Europe, Glasgow's problems is that average Glaswegian would rather sit on the dole and moan about food banks than travel 140 miles every two weeks to work in the oil industry. Simple as.

harsh!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    The vast majority of Scotland is prosperous and relatively problem free, that's a fact, very low crime rates, very low unemployment, better performance in education than England etc. its Glasgow that's the problem, Glasgow has simply never been able to look past Mrs Thatcher and trust me that's every bit as annoying to someone in Inverness as it is to someone in Iver.
    and don't forget free prescriptions and tuition fees.