Options

The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Didnt really get that decision ? Two poor bakers so no one goes ?

Mary & Paul clearly decided it wouldn't be fair to send one home when they were both as poor as each other, and if there really was nothing between them it was either both Richard and Kate go or neither of them.

They could hardly send 2 home this week - there's another 4 episodes to go, so with Diana having to leave early they had the chance to keep both bakers and give them another bite at the cherry, to prove to Mary & Paul who should stay in the process.

Totally understandable and fair decision, imo.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mary & Paul clearly decided it wouldn't be fair to send one home when they were both as poor as each other, and if there really was nothing between them it was either both Richard and Kate go or neither of them.

They could hardly send 2 home this week - there's another 4 episodes to go, so with Diana having to leave early they had the chance to keep both bakers and give them another bite at the cherry, to prove to Mary & Paul who should stay in the process.

Fair enough .I didnt realise one had left I missed last week .
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EllieG wrote: »
    :D right decision imo - I'd like to see the arguing though, maybe Jo will have it for Friday's show :D

Errm surely just a joke to justify the reason why no one was going home when in reality it's because the series would have ended a week early.Do you think they would have done it otherwise?

That's tv folks
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From being a lot of people's early tip, and after winning two star baker titles, Richard has had a right couple of shocking weeks.

I think he really needs a flawless week next week to save his skin.

P.S. - Luis and his perfection is starting to annoy my wife. ^_^
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Luis started his caramel monument I thought it looked more like the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur. Then he got building
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    Errm surely just a joke to justify the reason why no one was going home when in reality it's because the series would have ended a week early.Do you think they would have done it otherwise?

That's tv folks

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure they've done it before, even though that meant an extra baker the following week. To rectify it, they'd send home 2 bakers in a future week, so they'd always end up with 3 finalists.

(they may have done it the other way round too - send home 2 bakers earlyish in the process, and then not send anyone home one week later on)
  • Options
    babybutchbabybutch Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    That was a good result.They were equally 'not so good' this week .
    I thought Kate seemed very stressed tonight , so I'm glad she got another chance . Yes, rather a fair decision in the end .
  • Options
    DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad they both stayed, they've both shown they're capable of doing amazing bakes (having both won star baker)

I want Kate to win, hope she can pull it back next week.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it resembled MasterChef. We don't want to lose a potential winner, so we will give you both another go. Not playing by your own rules makes a mockery of the whole show. I recorded the last couple of shows, but I won't be bothering any more.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Some people seem surprised. Well Diana and Ian left the same week, the former due to being taken ill and the latter was disqualified for not submitting anything in one of the tasks.

Therefore the competition was one person down, causing Mary and Paul to contrive a 'disagreement' whereby no-one goes.

Quite clear. It's a numbers game.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it resembled MasterChef. We don't want to lose a potential winner, so we will give you both another go. Not playing by your own rules makes a mockery of the whole show. I recorded the last couple of shows, but I won't be bothering any more.

I am very cynical about the decision to keep everyone this week. Although it was bound to happen sooner or later because Diana left. Having said all that, I'm glad no-one left!
  • Options
    ScenciaScencia Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I agree with those saying it was an understandable decision considering the scheduling length of the series and with Diana having to drop out suddenly it left them with episode short.

However I don't agree with those saying it was a fair decision.
    For all the light heartedness of presentation and feel good factor element of the show, it is still ultimately a competition where the premis of the show is that each contestant is judged each week on their ability across the 3 bakes and the one deemed the weakest by the judges across that 3 bakes is eliminated. That's what the judges are there for and need to make tough calls and ultimately have to come to an agreed decision regardless of their differing opinions.

I would have rather they were just simply honest about it and say that the decision was made to carry them both through to next week as they had an extra episode in hand due to the early departure of Diana rather than make out it was impossible to choose one over the other (not great drama or suspense I appreciate but at least it would have more honesty about it)

Across all previous series I am sure they must have had other instances where they have found it difficult to agree on the eliminated baker but had to somehow come to a joint decision as they did not have the luxury of an extra week bye due to scheduling.
    Having rooted for Richard since episode 1 and grown to really like Kate over the last few weeks, I was gutted that it looked like it was going to be one or the other. However I now feel sorry for the other 4 if next week any one of them is eliminated above Richard or Kate when they, in competition terms, defeated them both this week (where will their chance of another bite of the cherry be if they have a bad bake ?) and now have to go up against them both again this week.

I hate to say this about 2 favourites of mine but I can only hope that one of them do a bad bake next week and are eliminated and I can feel less cheated for the remaining 4 that progressed fair and square through this weeks round.
    For the integrity of the show (and I never thought I would be saying this) I hope neither Kate or Richard go on to win the series as I would feel, if not quite completely cheated then at the very least deflated and a little disheartened as a viewer and also disappointment on behalf of the other 4 remaining bakers.

Still enjoying the series (despite my initial reservations on moving to primetime BBC1) and good luck to all those remaining (and thank you to them all for producing some wonderful looking bakes) but I will now be rooting for either Nancy, Martha, Chetna or Luis for the win,
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made up for Chetna getting star baker but honestly thought Nancy would have got it this week. Her princess cake looked lovely. I was also surprised Chetna pulled it out of the hat with that one.

Also glad Kate stayed and she's probably my favourite. I said as soon as it came on that they wouldn't send anyone home this week. And I'm glad they didn't. But I do think its a little unfair on the other bakers. As above. If they have a bad week next week they don't have the option of a second chance. So as much as I like Kate and Richard I now find myself hoping one of them hoes next week.

I think they're all pretty even. There doesn't seem to be any obvious weakest link left.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Some people seem surprised. Well Diana and Ian left the same week, the former due to being taken ill and the latter was disqualified for not submitting anything in one of the tasks.

Therefore the competition was one person down, causing Mary and Paul to contrive a 'disagreement' whereby no-one goes.

Lucky bakers being given a second chance to refine their offerings. If they stay on again next week and someone else goes Mary and Paul have mixed the perfect bake this week.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    P.S. - Luis and his perfection is starting to annoy my wife. ^_^

There is something about him that I find very irritating, can't think of anyone in previous series that has got the same reaction.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not sure that 'contrived'. It has probably been discussed with the production team that they can skip an elimination one week but that it has to be done this week or next week. Or something like that.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Chetna smiles, she reminds me a lot of Ally Sheedy*.

I knew both would go through, but I'm not sure if I agreed with the whole "oh, it was so difficult, we were at loggerheads" angle. Seemed so contrived.

It just made me wonder why didn't they just chuck both out if they couldn't decide. Surely it's better to say "I know we chucked Norman off last week, but we've decided to keep Kate and Richard in because we're not ready to let them go just yet"?

Nothing in this episode made me go "That looks gorgeous/yummy. Gimme!", though. Well, there's always the next episode.

*She's probably best known for her roles in The Breakfast Club, Short Circuit, WarGames and St. Elmo's Fire.
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Nancy would have had Star Baker had her first cake not been over proved. Whilst it tasted nice Chetna seemed to be more consistent over all, was really impressed with how she didn't completely panic when her Princess Cake went slightly wrong. She just knuckled down and pulled something out of the bag, she's got guts that's for sure!

I had a feeling once it came down to Richard and Kate to go home that they'd put them both through. Now I really like Kate but I think she was extremely lucky not to be sent home to be honest. Her Princess Cake was a disaster and the last cake barely had any caramel on it so she didn't really fulfill the brief. She will have to be on top of her game next week to get through.

I still can't work out who is going to win this season. My money had been on Richard but he seems to be struggling a little bit now. If I had to pick I think Luis might sneak it and I think Martha will get to the final. It's nice this series because now we're down to the final 6 I actually like them all so don't really mind who wins.
  • Options
    Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's probably unlikely given the competition but I really want Martha to win. Partly because she is a good baker, but mainly because I think she's such a sweetheart. I'm not looking forward to her elimination week. :(
  • Options
    ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Boss of the house is becoming rather fed up and irritated with Luis and his perfection all the time..

Would have liked Martha to get Star Baker, but fear she is always going to be the bridesmaid...lol..not looking forward to her elimination week...

Best decision this week in keeping both Kate and Richard in..
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Reminded me of the John Sergeant fiasco in Strictly. He left mid-way through the show, so that meant they would have only had two dancers left in the final instead of the usual three. So what did the BBC do ? Fix the scoring at the end to leave a tied place, so Tom Chambers was left in to make the third placement for the final three ! I'm glad no-one went home tonight though, as I like them both.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so predictable, all Mary's carp at the end to make out they couldn't choose between the two just say we don't have enough contestants for the rest of the competition so no one goes today
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    There is something about him that I find very irritating, can't think of anyone in previous series that has got the same reaction.

I also find him irritating and I don't really know why. Anyhow, I don't really care if the we can't agree so we're not going to let anyone go was contrived or not. I would like Martha to win but I don't think she will so I hope Chetna does. The way she pulled a success out of a failure was fantastic.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Camino wrote: »
    so predictable, all Mary's carp at the end to make out they couldn't choose between the two just say we don't have enough contestants for the rest of the competition so no one goes today
    But they have a CHOICE of which week to do this! AFAIR they even said explicitly last week (when Norman went) that, with Dianne leaving they had the option not to choose anyone then - but they did!

They had to use this option SOME week. It did not have to be last night.