Options

Why should England be given devolved powers?

Angels_babyAngels_baby Posts: 1,471
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Since Friday there has been a protest against Scotland receiving more devolved powers without some powers for England. Now devolution in Scotland and Wales was achieved after many years of campaigning and a referendum (in Scotland's case 2 - 1979 and 1997).

So on the back of that why should England just be handed extra powers just because it has sulked and moaned about what everyone else has. Shouldn't they also be made to hold a referendum to establish if this is really what they want before any extra powers are given?

Comments

• Options
    hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since Friday there has been a protest against Scotland receiving more devolved powers without some powers for England. Now devolution in Scotland and Wales was achieved after many years of campaigning and a referendum (in Scotland's case 2 - 1979 and 1997).

So on the back of that why should England just be handed extra powers just because it has sulked and moaned about what everyone else has. Shouldn't they also be made to hold a referendum to establish if this is really what they want before any extra powers are given?

That is really amusing. You sound like a sorer loser than Salmond.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its simple. Devolved powers to Scotland, Wales and NI has meant that the English voters have less representation in parliament due to Scots, Welsh and NI MPs voting on English only matters. Devolved powers to England would address these issues
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

England has been asking for some kind of devolution for decades. We have always been denied it. Labour granted Scotland and Wales a devolution referendum in 1997 because Labour had a huge majority in the UK including Scotland and Wales. They did not grant England devolution referendums in 1997 because it wouldn't benefit them - it benefitted them greatly in 1997 for Scotland and Wales because of the amount of Labour MP's that get elected in those nations. If SNP had been a bigger force in 1997 then no way would the devolution referendum have taken place.

England are not sulking. This week our MP's are starting to stick up for us after we watched Scotland throw its toys out of its pram and make even more demands. The Scots already get £1,500 per head more than anyone else in the UK. England have never been considered by our Government in any devolution policy. So, we English feel enough is enough. It's not sulking it's about being treated respectfully and as the largest nation with the largest UK population, I'd say it's about time. Scotland has far too much at the expense of others for far too long. If it causes you grief that the English are now starting to find their voice, tough!
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member

I can't believe I'm reading this. Are you actually trying to wind us up?! US English sulking and moaning? If any nation of the UK has sulked and moaned for the last decade or so its been Scotland. The English have, if anything, been far too tolerant of the lop-sided devolution which gave the rest of the UK a greater say than England over their own affairs. We have every right to complain about this so it was about ****ing time the PM, other politicians and the media were finally talking about re-dressing the balance for England as they'd all previously stayed silent on the issue for far too long. How dare you accuse us of all people of being the ones who threw our toys out of the pram?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you think it's possible that some of the Scottish Nationalist are now trying to rile up the English?

It's definitely looking that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And did those feet in ancient time
    Walk upon England's mountains green:
    And was the holy Lamb of God,
    On England's pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
    Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
    And was Jerusalem builded here,
    Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
    Bring me my Arrows of desire:
    Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
    Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
    Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
    Till we have built Jerusalem,
    In England's green & pleasant Land

(Written by William Blake)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think it's possible that some of the Scottish Nationalist are now trying to rile up the English?

The vow was made by Gordon Brown, I don't think he is English but he is wily. When he joked about the deal for the referendum, he had his fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But why should the extra powers be given without the people of England having a referendum to see if that is what their wishes are like Scotland and Wales had to do?
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member

The point is if Wales and Scotland are going to have devolved powers then surely you can't just have England left out can you? You are being incredibly silly here as im sure you are aware Englands population is by far the biggest in Britain so how can you expect the majority to be treated unequal? It is better for all countries concerned to get the same treatment as it will hopefully stop resentment festering between the countries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Turk wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm reading this. Are you actually trying to wind us up?! US English sulking and moaning? If any nation of the UK has sulked and moaned for the last decade or so its been Scotland. The English have, if anything, been far too tolerant of the lop-sided devolution which gave the rest of the UK a greater say than England over their own affairs. We have every right to complain about this so it was about ****ing time the PM, other politicians and the media were finally talking about re-dressing the balance for England as they'd all previously stayed silent on the issue for far too long. How dare you accuse us of all people of being the ones who threw our toys out of the pram?!

Then why have you done nothing about it? The last time devolution was talked about for England the idea was abandoned as there was very little appetite for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But why should the extra powers be given without the people of England having a referendum to see if that is what their wishes are like Scotland and Wales had to do?

Just for a laugh, if it wound you up, it would be good enough reason alone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

When you buy one of your kids an ice cream, then you generally have to give one to the other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No just wondering why Scotland and Wales had to battle and campaign for years just to achieve a referendum on whether they should have devolution but now England will receive these powers without having been asked if they want them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then why have you done nothing about it? The last time devolution was talked about for England the idea was abandoned as there was very little appetite for it.

Because a couple of cities were offered glorified councils. That was not devolution, it was a tube of smarties to stop us crying. We didn't want that. We wanted devolution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No just wondering why Scotland and Wales had to battle and campaign for years just to achieve a referendum on whether they should have devolution but now England will receive these powers without having been asked if they want them.

How do you know we won't get a referendum?
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I'd like to be given a vote on whether we should eject Rangers fans from the Union
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zelda fan wrote: »
    The point is if Wales and Scotland are going to have devolved powers then surely you can't just have England left out can you? You are being incredibly silly here as im sure you are aware Englands population is by far the biggest in Britain so how can you expect the majority to be treated unequal? It is better for all countries concerned to get the same treatment as it will hopefully stop resentment festering between the countries.

And if they wish to be treated the same then they should have a referendum first to see if they want these powers like Scotland and Wales had to.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We don't want extra powers, we just don't want countries with devolution voting on our legislation. Why is that so hard for people to understand?

It has to be all sorted out in one go or it will be us that get betrayed by Miliband.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you buy one of your kids an ice cream, then you generally have to give one to the other.

But don't you usually ask both your kids first if they both want an ice cream?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't want extra powers, we just don't want countries with devolution voting on our legislation. Why is that so hard for people to understand?

It has to be all sorted out in one go or it will be us that get betrayed by Miliband.

But it's ok for Scotland to be betrayed instead as 'The Vow' that was sold pre referendum didn't mention that it would be tied in to powers for England too.
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    And if they wish to be treated the same then they should have a referendum first to see if they want these powers like Scotland and Wales had to.

I think you're right that there should be a referendum.

The debate has started: an English Parliament, regional assemblies, or the status quo.

If we are a democratic nation the question should be put to the electorate and decided by referendum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    How do you know we won't get a referendum?

I hope that you do and it ignites the population as politically as it has in Scotland.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    But don't you usually ask both your kids first if they both want an ice cream?

Sometimes, but if one is stomping, screaming and shouting for one then you don't always get chance.
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Wow. It's another fire reference from Scotland.

Feet to the fire (Salmond)
    Fuel to the fire (one contributor)
    Ignite (another contributor)

I'm keeping a book on them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes, but if one is stomping, screaming and shouting for one then you don't always get chance.

Then how is that democracy?