Peggy and The Albert

cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,063
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If Peggy ever came back full time and the Carters were still going strong in The Vic do you think she would work as the manager of The Albert?

Personally I think Peggy works best when she is behind a bar. I know some people may think she's a bit old for The Albert but what do you think?

And BTW this is not a thread about whether you like the character or not. :)

Comments

• Heathyheath_Heathyheath_ Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally think that Peggy would be great as the owner of the Albert. I'd imagine that ultimately she could be given the Queen Vic if Barbara agreed to return but it wouldn't be necessary with the Albert already there so this is a great idea. I genuinely think like her or hate her that Peggy could definitely enhance the show with a full time return and her in charge of one drinking den and the Carters in charge of the other could make great television. Whether Peggy would be able to compromise without her beloved Queen Vic would be another question though
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Peggy ever came back full time and the Carters were still going strong in The Vic do you think she would work as the manager of The Albert?

Personally I think Peggy works best when she is behind a bar. I know some people may think she's a bit old for The Albert but what do you think?

If I was EP and Peggy came back, the Carter's would be shown the door,
    I'm afraid.

Or... Peggy could buy a share in the vic or something, and be made manager (well at least that would satisfy Carter fans:D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally think that Peggy would be great as the owner of the Albert. I'd imagine that ultimately she could be given the Queen Vic if Barbara agreed to return but it wouldn't be necessary with the Albert already there so this is a great idea. I genuinely think like her or hate her that Peggy could definitely enhance the show with a full time return and her in charge of one drinking den and the Carters in charge of the other could make great television. Whether Peggy would be able to compromise without her beloved Queen Vic would be another question though

She would probably work without the vic, if there was a strong Mitchell storyline for them all... However, there are many ways she could be at the vic! I'd LOVE to see the Mitchell's behind the bar, once again.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's in her late 70's, she isn't going to be managing anything again.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waiting for the inevitable Albert fire and the start of "let it burrrrn" all over again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    As long as Mick and Linda are in the show the Vic is there's - they've been publicans for a long long time and if they're out of the vic they're out of the show.

Nevertheless I miss Peggy so much the Mitchells have not been the same without here and I loved her cameo last night. Running the Albert could be an option but like has been said with age, maybe it's better to just have retired Peggy running the Mitchells from behind the scenes.

Barbara Windsor seems to only want short returns, so maybe it would work to have her in an Aunt Sal-type role, coming in for a couple of episodes here and there a few times a year?
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's too small and modern for Peggy, I don't think it would suit her at all.
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,498
    Forum Member
    I don't see why not? But Peggy is getting a bit old to be manager now? I don't think Peggy will take over The Albert as long as Sharon is still there.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Albert is quite literally too small for her ego.
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barbara Windsor is never going to return full time. I am enjoying Peggys brief appearances however and hope they continue. She's never going to be landlady of the Vic again though or the Albert.

Peggy has never actually lived on the square for long and not owned the Vic. When she lost the pub to Sharon in 2001 and to Archie in 2009 it wasn't long before she was back behind the bar. I do wonder what they had planned for Peggy when they installed Alfie in the Vic in 2002. Peggy hired Alfie as the bar manager and moved into number 32 however very soon after in real life Barbara got sick and had to be written out for 2 years. I wonder what they would have done with Peggy had she stuck around with her living away from the pub.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do wonder what they had planned for Peggy when they installed Alfie in the Vic in 2002. Peggy hired Alfie as the bar manager and moved into number 32 however very soon after in real life Barbara got sick and had to be written out for 2 years. I wonder what they would have done with Peggy had she stuck around with her living away from the pub.

I remember reading several years ago that they were planning an affair between Peggy and Dennis Rickman :o but it was dropped due to Barbara's exit from the show.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    I think the Albert is quite literally too small for her ego.

That's a no to the Launderette Job then?
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    If I was EP and Peggy came back, the Carter's would be shown the door,
    I'm afraid.

Or... Peggy could buy a share in the vic or something, and be made manager (well at least that would satisfy Carter fans:D)

I'd want the Mitchells back behind the bar and the Carters in The Albert or something. I'd also have Alfie and Kat working there part time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A huge NO to Peggy being brought back to front the Vic, her time there is done.
  • BringBackZsaZsaBringBackZsaZsa Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Peggy marries Stan and moves in The Vic?
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see Babs returning full time.

I think the Vic may one day be Sharon's again.
  • ESC RossESC Ross Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely not. As much as I love the Carters, if I was producer I would turf them out, and give Peggy The Vic again. Peggy's home will always be the Vic, I just couldn't imagine her living anywhere else on the Square, Although the Carters have also managed/owned pubs for years, I could imagine them living in a house on the Square. They have a great dynamic as a family, whereas I think Peggy would be a bit lost without the Vic.

It would have been nice to Sharon back at the Vic though. ;-)
  • KNs47KNs47 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    If BW ever did return full time I could she a condition on her return being her character did get back the Vic, but I assume a compromise would be worked out whereby the Carters fell on hard times and Peggy got a controlling interest again in the pub and would then be seen to lord it over the pub.
  • ESC RossESC Ross Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KNs47 wrote: »
    If BW ever did return full time I could she a condition on her return being her character did get back the Vic, but I assume a compromise would be worked out whereby the Carters fell on hard times and Peggy got a controlling interest again in the pub and would then be seen to lord it over the pub.

This is what I thought. This would be the only way to get the Carters out the Vic, if Babs did return full time.
  • Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    One of my favourite Peggy stints was in 2005 when she didn't have the Vic. She came back and lived with Pat. It worked so well, Peggy being on the outskirts of the Square.

When Peggy is in the Vic, the writers don't write for her because she is there anyway. But when she wasn't in the vic they had to write for her to give her screen time and she got involved in lots of different things and it was exciting.

My point is Peggy and the Vic is over, and she clearly has retired anyway so why would she come out of retirement?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    I'd want the Mitchells back behind the bar and the Carters in The Albert or something. I'd also have Alfie and Kat working there part time.

I'd have Phil or Peggy as landlord/landlady

Ronnie and Roxy living there too

Kat/Alfie managing the bar

Stacey and Shirley as barmaids :)
  • KNs47KNs47 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    ESC Ross wrote: »
    This is what I thought. This would be the only way to get the Carters out the Vic, if Babs did return full time.

No, you've missunderstood what I meant. I reckon the Carters would remain in the pub running it, but Peggy would effectively own it. She'd stomp about saying lines like 'My pub....', keeping in character, but the Carters would still mostly continue as normal.
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give me Peggy and the Mitchells over the Carters in the Vic any day. Wish she would come back.
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And grant can take over R&R :p
  • cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Dot can stay in the laundrette as long a she has maybe Peggy can takeover there though "Get outta my laundrette" doesn't quite have the same ring to it