Cilla, ITV, tngt, looking forward to this... But

Comments

• Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blueju wrote: »
    Was it "Scene At 6.30" ?

I think your right here in Yorkshire we had Granada TV uptill 1968 we watched it more than the BBC, When you think about it Granada was well placed to take in all that was going on at the time. Scene At 6.30 was good Chris Kelly, Michael Parkinson & Mike Scott when they had the Beatles on in 1963 Ken Dodd was on as well what a laugh. The Beatles were funny Ken Dodd asked what name could they suggest for him something earthy? George Harrison said what about Sod! Ken Dodd wasn't expecting that so funny.
  • HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Blueju wrote: »
    Was it "Scene At 6.30" ?

Yes, that's what I assumed it was anyway. It reveals another anachronism though, as the show was actually recorded in the afternoon for evening broadcast, so Cilla wouldn't have been coming out of the studio when it was dark!
  • greygrey Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    Born lippy wrote: »
    Yes we haven't heard her real voice though is probably quite pleasant! It's hard enough to talk in a different accent let alone sing..... Why didn't she just lipsync to the originals?

Sheriden was in "Who do you think you are?" she sang at her parent's local club.
    Very good she was too. I suppose that was her natural voice
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a great idea they got Sheridan Smith to do her own recordings. It isn't the first time this has been done. I think you respect the actor more for not just playing the person, but to inhabit the talent that made the person famous.

Diana ross did all her own recordings for the billie holiday film
    As did Kevin Spacey for the Bobby Darin one as well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Good find!
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Interesting to see Liverpool Cunard Building being used as New York and The Adelphi as 'The Grand' in Blackpool.

The steps up to the entrance of the Waldorf Astoria in New York, the lobby and view looking out all looked genuine to me, we stayed there once.
  • sominsomin Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In her Radio Times interview with Andrew Duncan she described herself in negative terms at times including "I was an absolute cow if I didn't get my own way".

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-09-15/cilla-black-i-love-it-when-people-talk-about-me

It was an enjoyable drama but Cilla makes herself sound pretty ghastly in that Radio Times interview! It sounds like she's more of a diva now than she ever was. A few choice quotes:

I can’t say I’m surprised I was successful.

Once when I was touring in Scotland a comic who was on the bill asked why I wasn’t travelling in first class. Not any more, though. I never turn right on a plane.

Today I’d be first in the queue for The X Factor and there’s no doubt whatsoever that I’d win.

You don’t become a Dame for doing what you enjoy, as I have, but if they want to give me one I wouldn’t turn it down.

:o
  • SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd then that Cilla never had a big hit anywhere after 1971 while those two were having global hits in the 80s..and in Cher's case into the 90s.
    It's because by then they'd turned her into a 'TV personality', and she basically stopped singing. I personally think this was a tragic error & a huge waste of talent. But it's her life! (She was always interested in money & fame.)
  • C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And STILL ITV continue to plug this programme as hard as they can! Half a dozen ads for it early this morning ... apparently, I can watch it on ITV Player now!!

Hmm ... better do that. I didn't realise it was on last night!
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    The steps up to the entrance of the Waldorf Astoria in New York, the lobby and view looking out all looked genuine to me, we stayed there once.

Looks like Liverpool Cunard Building to me. The Liverpool Cunard Building has arched windows whereas the Waldorf Astoria has rectangular windows. Also the Waldorf Astoria does not have steps up to the entrance.

Edit: Google Streetview proves its the Cunard Building
  • LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    somin wrote: »
    Today I’d be first in the queue for The X Factor and there’s no doubt whatsoever that I’d win.

Blimey! There's no doubt whatsoever that she has amazing self confidence!!

Mind you, at least she's honest, and she does appreciate she has flaws elsewhere. (Well, a few small ones, anyway....)
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Fantastic end to a brilliant biopic series. Sheridan as fabulous as ever

Such sadness on how Brian Epstein's life came to an end.

ITV should be proud of this series. All the actors have been superb. Just absolute quality.

Totally agree with you.

Cannot believe Cilla was so selfish that she stopped Bobby from having the fame and fortune that she had.

Plus the actor who play Bobby was fantastic.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    I assumed that the beatings were part of the process, maybe due to self hatred

A good summary IMO.
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that's what I assumed it was anyway. It reveals another anachronism though, as the show was actually recorded in the afternoon for evening broadcast, so Cilla wouldn't have been coming out of the studio when it was dark!

How do you know it was recorded in the afternoon?
  • GrolsGrols Posts: 299,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheridan can probably sing but just isn't great at imitating Cilla. Honestly try it

I thought she was great and even Cilla said she did well to sing at all with the false teeth she had to wear. If Sheridan brought out a cd of the songs I would buy it. :D

Edited after watching Cilla on you tube singing Alfie and Your my world. Very unique.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    That was an absolutely fantastic series. I can't remember when I have enjoyed a series so much. Sheridan Smith is a marvel; all the actors were fantastic; the cinematography was sensational; the sets, the costumes, the music. The scenes were set so perfectly to capture the time. Well done to all concerned, I can't praise it enough.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    G3rol wrote: »
    I thought she was great and even Cilla said she did well to sing at all with the false teeth she had to wear. If Sheridan brought out a cd of the songs I would buy it. :D

Edited after watching Cilla on you tube singing Alfie and Your my world. Very unique.

I listened to the Cher version for the first time last night - it was pretty pedestrian. I think Cilla's Alfie, without doubt was the best ever version.
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone see any sort of Cilla CD advertised on TV last night? I had two people ask me at work today and they said it was due out today, which I thought was a bit odd since new releases are monday not tuesday. Anyway, a quick google only brings up the Best of Cilla which was out last October... not one with Sheridan Smith singing (as the customers believed).
  • fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Suppose it's subjective. Personally I never shed a tear at anything Cilla ever sung, much as I loved the songs, but I filled up at Sheridan's Anyone Who Had a Heart and Don't Answer Me, because I thought she injected so much more raw emotion into them than Cilla ever did.

I am so behind on this thread as I've only just watched the second one, but I shed a tear at the 'Anyone who had a Heart' bit too :blush: her singing combined with the montage of her parents and friends listening to the song on the radio, and the bit of Bobby swinging her around with the Liverpool skyline in the background...<sniff>

Shame that IRL it seems Cilla is a 24 carat cowbag, if rumours are to be believed.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Sheridan can probably sing but just isn't great at imitating Cilla.
    As has been mentioned just yesterday, she wasn't trying to.
    Odd then that Cilla never had a big hit anywhere after 1971 while those two were having global hits in the 80s..and in Cher's case into the 90s.
    Because by then she was concentrating on her TV career, I assume. (Which was how the drama ended.)
    tennisman wrote: »
    The Butler was interviewed in the documentary I've put the link for above.
    And the guy who played the butler is an old acquaintance of mine. Just saying :)
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    somin wrote: »
    It was an enjoyable drama but Cilla makes herself sound pretty ghastly in that Radio Times interview! It sounds like she's more of a diva now than she ever was. A few choice quotes:

I can’t say I’m surprised I was successful.

Once when I was touring in Scotland a comic who was on the bill asked why I wasn’t travelling in first class. Not any more, though. I never turn right on a plane.

You don’t become a Dame for doing what you enjoy, as I have, but if they want to give me one I wouldn’t turn it down.

:o
    I m not excusing her denial of Bobby's chance or her alleged treatment of "staff"but you dont get a fifty year career without beng both selfconfident and a bit selfish at times
  • manderleymanderley Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to the Cher version for the first time last night - it was pretty pedestrian. I think Cilla's Alfie, without doubt was the best ever version.

Have you heard this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXlC4RxOG-0
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's because by then they'd turned her into a 'TV personality', and she basically stopped singing. I personally think this was a tragic error & a huge waste of talent. But it's her life! (She was always interested in money & fame.)

Stopped singing? Her discography says otherwise...she released loads of singles and albums through the 70s and beyond ... all of which flopped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cilla_Black_discography

Lulu was also made into a TV celebrity at the same time as Cilla was...but she carried on having hits into the Noughties. At the end of the day people just didn't want Cilla Black's singing offerings.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Didnt realise Cher did the Us version. Cilla's version knocks spots off it. She made some really good records Cilla. Used to love the tv shows. Dont know how she learned comic timing for the sketches.
    She came across as cold and uncaring to Bobby in the early years. Anyone else would have left her to it i think. Surprised she didnt have any other men at the time.
    Must say i like most of her songs. They all seemed to suit her. Prefered her to Dionne Warwick, never thought she put any emotion into her songs, just sounded nasally. I guess Cilla was even more nasally but i prefer her anyway!!
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    manderley wrote: »
    Have you heard this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXlC4RxOG-0

Nice - but pedestrian. No passion at all (lots of arm movements - but no passion).

Cilla's version is definitely the best I've ever heard.