Any one removed tax disc

Comments

• lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Someone I know got done just a week ago as the tax disc had the wrong reg on it - a 9 where it should've been a 1. Got £260ish fine and clamped until it was sorted out. I think a traffic warden reported it as it was parked on the street. Only two weeks short of being safe!;-)

Well, if it had the wrong reg on it, it was also invalid on the database, hence the fine - they had a car on the road without valid tax.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I'm keeping mine on until it runs out because you never know it might still be an offence not to display a valid tax disc and mine is.

The DVLA are cunning swines.

Edit to add.

Not only that it was the first time I've ever taxed a car for twelve months so I'm going to get my money's worth of displaying it and that will be until end of June 2015 :D
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Well, if it had the wrong reg on it, it was also invalid on the database, hence the fine - they had a car on the road without valid tax.

Thinking about it, this points up a problem with getting rid of tax discs. He should've checked the reg on the disc and seen it had been entered wrongly. But from hereon in how are we to know that the tax has been entered against the right registration?
  • Tom_BasilTom_Basil Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope because my car is quite new so didn't have one anyway.

I do have the tax disk in my house somewhere, but I have been driving around without it displayed for about 3 weeks.

It is taxed though so it doesn't really matter anyway.
  • aberboyaberboy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to remove mine in the morning as my tax expired today.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Thinking about it, this points up a problem with getting rid of tax discs. He should've checked the reg on the disc and seen it had been entered wrongly. But from hereon in how are we to know that the tax has been entered against the right registration?
    Because when you pay, you will get a confirmation of what you have paid for.
    Hopefully you will notice an error (or when you start the process). Enter abc123 and you get a blue fiesta when you have a red Nissan.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    There was a guy on the street where I used to live who never taxed his car, for years he was driving around with no tax. Just about everyone on the street reported him to DVLA at some point, yet nothing ever happened. My theory is they got rid of the paper discs because they were so sick of people reporting cars with no tax. There are a lot of cars from eastern europe driving around without tax or MOT now because, even though they are supposed to be taxed and MOTd if they've been in the country for more than 6 months, the goverment doesn't keep records of vehicles entering the country so this isn't enforced. If people keep reporting all these untaxed cars to DVLA they'd be snowed under with complaints they can't do anything about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its only traffic wardens who were checking them anyway .

You have more chance of winning the Lotto then getting pulled around here

I could name 10 people who drink and drive regularly but no one cares .

Least of all the cops
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    I haven't removed one for 6 years won't be starting now I have a nice little collection

So I'm not the only person that does that.

Lucky we don't need them anymore. The last one was a very tight fit :)
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _ben wrote: »
    There was a guy on the street where I used to live who never taxed his car, for years he was driving around with no tax. Just about everyone on the street reported him to DVLA at some point, yet nothing ever happened. My theory is they got rid of the paper discs because they were so sick of people reporting cars with no tax. There are a lot of cars from eastern europe driving around without tax or MOT now because, even though they are supposed to be taxed and MOTd if they've been in the country for more than 6 months, the goverment doesn't keep records of vehicles entering the country so this isn't enforced. If people keep reporting all these untaxed cars to DVLA they'd be snowed under with complaints they can't do anything about.

Oh no, it won't stop me. I've made a list of all the car registration numbers for my street, and will be checking the tax status of them daily on that website as part of my morning routine.

Sooner or later one of them will slip up, and I will have the book thrown at them.

Maybe I will expand it to all the cars I see in the work car park too :D
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are people mithering to remove their disc if it's still valid? :confused:

Mine is valid till March 2015 so it can stop on the screen till then.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm slightly miffed as I forked out for a nice stainless steel one for my bike now it's an ornament for in the garage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    I'm slightly miffed as I forked out for a nice stainless steel one for my bike now it's an ornament for in the garage.
    Stick it on eBay where it will get snapped up by some vintage biker who wants to add that 'finishing touch'. Probably get more than you paid for it too.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

Mine is valid till the end of Sep 15 .So i'll leave it there.On my other car it ran out today.That too will remain on the vehicle.
    We must have order.Without order there is chaos!.:D
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing about tax is it's always seemed to be so poorly enforced some of the paranoid replies in this thread are quite funny :D

I've always been taxed but drove around without displaying a tax disc for about a month a while ago. Clearly it was never noticed.

I certainly wont miss the things, it's was only ever just one more inconvenient thing to remember, and to panic about if the disc got lost in the post.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its going to be highly unlikely that a lot of people will be stopped for not having tax. They won't increase police patrols so people will just be unlucky if they are caught.

And how are public minded citizens supposed to report untaxed cars now?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Print out a little disc that says "Tax Disc Went Here"
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

Because it's needlessly cluttering up the windscreen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    Mine is valid till the end of Sep 15 .So i'll leave it there.On my other car it ran out today.That too will remain on the vehicle.
    We must have order.Without order there is chaos!.:D
    Is this another imaginary 'law' dreamt up by the loopy lot and the barmy banners?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Print out a little disc that says "Tax Disc Went Here"

Good idea, it's an old bike so I might print out a 1976 one and leave it on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    I think its going to be highly unlikely that a lot of people will be stopped for not having tax. They won't increase police patrols so people will just be unlucky if they are caught.

And how are public minded citizens supposed to report untaxed cars now?

It seems it's all going to be done by camera enforcement now.Police ANPR etc.
    The DVLA are having a running argument with the RAC about lost revenue.The RAC say it'll cost millions in lost revenue with dodgers.The DVLA say quite the opposite.
    My new tax disc arrived and I had to cut it out of the paper myself,no perforations.Seems it was a cost saving exercise which will make it a collectors item in 100 years.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Because it's needlessly cluttering up the windscreen.
    Your car must have a very tiny windscreen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good idea, it's an old bike so I might print out a 1976 one and leave it on.
    Cancel out my ebay suggestion in that case. An absolute must have accessory for any old bike!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cancel out my ebay suggestion in that case. An absolute must have accessory for any old bike!

Yeh it's beginning to dawn on me that it'll look better with one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this another imaginary 'law' dreamt up by the loopy lot and the barmy banners?

No but I think Hitler used to say it.He had a point.:p