Options

11.3 million potential pedophiles in UK?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,469
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It seems to me that, once again, government is overreacting.

I have little problem in principal with checking up on adults who work closely with children, such as teachers, some social workers, scout leaders, school support staff and so on.

However, this new effort by the Govt seems ridiculously over the top.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8249020.stm

While it seems that £64 will not be charged to "volunteers", does anyone agree with me that:

1) This is just another tax
2) The main beneficiaries in all this will be the civil servants who wil be working on administering the scheme and certainly not kids who will lose out on going to clubs etc as a result.
3) It is a step towards a "denunciation" culture such as existed in Nazi Germany (report your local jew) or in Stalin's Soviet Union during the purges (report your local Trotskyite saboteur)

And what, I ask, is Cameron going to do about it if he is elected?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once again it's the Labour Governments approach of 'let's treat everyone like criminals until they can pay to prove otherwise'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.

Typical government kneejerk overkill that will probably bring few - if any - of its intended benefits (much like the post-Dunblane handgun ban - look how effective that was).

But like you say, it will if nothing else keep a lot of civil servants and bureaucrats in jobs.

I'm glad I'm not involved in supervising or looking after kids in any way, shape or form - these days it's almost like you've got one foot in jail before you even start.

Essentially, it seems to me that they're branding over 11 million people potential child molesters until they can prove that they aren't. Strikes me as something of a U-turn on Britain's centuries-old principle of "innocent until proven guilty".

- Eric
  • Options
    OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disgusting behaviour from Labour. Its as if we are sleep walking into becoming a paranoid society.

*looks around corner to check for evil terrorists*
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't a "new effort", it's clarification of the existing legislation. It does seem over the top, but it is conceivable that a paedophile could get access to children this way. If there was no check and a child was abused or murdered as a result the press would be up in arms "How was this allowed to take place?".

At least volunteers are exempt from the charge, and for the vast majority of people a CRB check will throw up absolutely nothing relevant. It won't stop unconvicted paedophiles of course, but nothing would do that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    It won't stop unconvicted paedophiles of course, but nothing would do that.

Spending the money for this on investigating unsolved cases may help to boost convictions?
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11.3 million people? What's that about half the adult population below retirement age?

Typical Labour - using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

OK it'll create a few jobs but the effectiveness of such a scheme is impossible to measure. I'd have thought the biggest potential risk of sicko's grooming kids was via the web. Should we all be CRB checked before being allowed to log on?

A complete waste of time in my opinion. The existing legislation is more than sufficient.
  • Options
    pje1979pje1979 Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    You've got to remember in the eyes of our glorious leaders we are all criminals. Some of us haven't offended yet, but we're all criminals that need to be watched and tracked in everything we do.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next stop: anyone without a hi-vis jacket and a nametag is a pervert.
  • Options
    Lucem FerreLucem Ferre Posts: 8,224
    Forum Member
    We now live in a country where convicted child abusers are handed unduly lenient sentences and then released early, whilst normal citizens have to prove they've never been convicted of child abuse before they're allowed to offer to help children.

We only have ourselves to blame.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Scuse me Sir, I've just watched you walk by that school, and I couldn't help noticing you glanced at the children in the playground'

'Er yes?'

'Well, could I see your CRB documentation?'

'I don't have any. I don't work with ch...'

'Get the van Gary, we've got a kiddy-fiddler on our hands. A right nonce'

Coming to your town soon.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this kind of thing carries on perfectly innocent people will probably end up becoming terrified of each other because they think that somebody 'might' be a criminal, or they 'might' become a criminal in the future, or everybody is a potential criminal.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Safety First and anyone that argues "could be evil" is one of the biggest problems of modern politics and there is always a money making scheme involved of some kind.

Prophecy Politics - I know you elected me to sort out crime and unemployment today - but Im far too busy saving you from what might not actually happen tomorrow -and by the way "We expect you to pay for it"
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said in the thread on this in General, it's Paedogheddon, complete with a Paedofinder General. :(
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't a "new effort", it's clarification of the existing legislation. It does seem over the top, but it is conceivable that a paedophile could get access to children this way.

Of course. All sorts of things are conceivable.

It's conceivable that because I have a car than can do 150mpg, I might do that down the High St this evening and slaughter a few pedestrians. So should it be confiscated?

This is classic nulabor nanny state overkill. I would bet there is no more child abuse now than there's ever been - we have a 24 hour media, that's the difference. The vast majority of the abuse is carried out by parents, girlfiends, boyfriends, relatives. What good will this idiotic legislation do those victims?

We have a society where kids think every adult is a threat and school teachers daredn't stick a plaster on a kid's arm.

No - the effect of this lunacy will be that many volunteers won't bother and just give up. There will be less kids' clubs. sports, activities and more of them hanging round on street corners. Which is precisely what we need.

I despair of these cretins, I really do.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't a "new effort", it's clarification of the existing legislation. It does seem over the top, but it is conceivable that a paedophile could get access to children this way. If there was no check and a child was abused or murdered as a result the press would be up in arms "How was this allowed to take place?".

At least volunteers are exempt from the charge, and for the vast majority of people a CRB check will throw up absolutely nothing relevant. It won't stop unconvicted paedophiles of course, but nothing would do that.

The operative phrase here is 'could get access'.

Bad things 'could' happen all the time. They just do and always have.
    But how far do people want to go?

You 'could' walk out of the house one day and somebody 'could' just go berserk and kill you.

So would it be acceptable to some if a curfew was imposed on the public for certain hours because a crime 'could' happen?
    What if for the optimum safety of all the public people have to remain indoors unless they obtain a special license to leave their house because a bad thing 'could' potentially happen?
    Obviously that was an exaggeration. But you have to understand that some of what is happening today would be seen as an exaggeration only a few short years ago.

If everybody's lives were so limited by caution and legislation that they were encouraged to not leave their house because of what 'could' happen, then at what cost would that be?
    Surely there's a tipping point where people's standards of living are so affected by bureaucracy that they end up leading such a miserable existence that being 'safe' is literally a living nightmare.

There must eventually be a tipping point where the cost to people's lives is their own freedom itself.
    What would the point of being alive be if people aren't allowed to simply live?
    When you get people defending this kind of political control saying 'You have nothing to fear if you've got nothing to hide', I disagree...THIS is what there is to fear. The restrictions placed on your own life. You don't have to be guilty of a single thing to fear this.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My motto where children are concerned has always been
    " Better to be safe than sorry" so personally I see nothing wrong with this and I most definitely agree with this comment made by Barnardo's chief executive Martin Narey who you would imagine knows what he is talking about.
    Barnardo's chief executive Martin Narey, former director general of the Prison Service, said: "If the vetting and barring scheme stops just one child ending up a victim of a paedophile then it will be worth it."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/new-checks-unveiled-for-childrens-club-drivers-1785536.htm

If it were my child I would want to know that everything possible was being done to protect him/her and if it was myself being vetted/ checked up on it wouldn't bother me in the least.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We now live in a country where convicted child abusers are handed unduly lenient sentences and then released early, whilst normal citizens have to prove they've never been convicted of child abuse before they're allowed to offer to help children.

We only have ourselves to blame.

Very good point. We cannot even look after and contain the convicted paedophiles without someone wanting to let them out to roam the streets and recommit their filthy crimes.

Just another way Labour can get come more money from the public as a back door tax.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it were my child I would want to know that everything possible was being done to protect him/her and if it was myself being vetted/ checked up on it wouldn't bother me in the least.

In which case very close relatives are where to start, not strangers, along with the shambles of various agencies as in the baby P case.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ED Balls and Gordon Brown always seem to be having photo opportunity's in school classrooms.

If they do more than three a month does that mean they have to apply for clearance as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gummy mummy,

Your quote is typical of the one used by all people who seek to control us with more and more surveillance and legislation. Like the ones who would have us drive at no speed because no deaths are acceptable on the roads. The only surprise is that he couldn't think of some more original way of expressing it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about if they just kept convicted peadophiles in prison, rather than actually releasing them to reoffend. The re-offending rate of peadophiles is generally accepted to be around 90%, so surely that's enough ammunition to suggest that they shouldn't really be allowed to enter normal society again anyway?

If you want EVERYTHING possible to be done to protect your child, then it would be far better for convicted peadophiles to be kept in prison, rather than to have a scheme of trying to look into their criminal record?

Neither scheme would stop unconvicted peadophiles from having access to your children, but keeping convicted ones in prison would guarantee that NO convicted peadophile would ever have access to your children.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    In which case very close relatives are where to start, not strangers, along with the shambles of various agencies in the baby P case.

I will agree with what you say and at the same time point out that from the way this report is worded it is about 'parents' being vetted not strangers.
    Parents who regularly drive children for sports or social clubs will have to be vetted or face fines of up to £5,000 under new rules.

Along with parents who host foreign exchange students, they will fall under the scope of the Vetting and Barring Scheme, the Home Office has confirmed.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ED Balls and Gordon Brown always seem to be having photo opportunity's in school classrooms.

If they do more than three a month does that mean they have to apply for clearance as well.

I do not think that would apply to them they are completely innocent.

Why they are always seen with children is that is the mental age they are best at home talking to. Both Brown and Balls live in Telly Tubbies land and the kiddies understand that language perfectly.

"Look Mummy those funny men (Balls and Brown) look like Tinky Winky and Po.:D
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    jbeavon wrote: »
    How about if they just kept convicted peadophiles in prison, rather than actually releasing them to reoffend. The re-offending rate of peadophiles is generally accepted to be around 90%, so surely that's enough ammunition to suggest that they shouldn't really be allowed to enter normal society again anyway?

If you want EVERYTHING possible to be done to protect your child, then it would be far better for convicted peadophiles to be kept in prison, rather than to have a scheme of trying to look into their criminal record?

Neither scheme would stop unconvicted peadophiles from having access to your children, but keeping convicted ones in prison would guarantee that NO convicted peadophile would ever have access to your children.

Behave yourself - keeping scum in prison costs money - making ordinary people pay/apply for certificates of innocence makes money ..LOL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    Behave yourself - keeping scum in prison costs money - making ordinary people pay/apply for certificates of innocence makes money ..LOL
    Oh no...it would appear you've stumbled upon the secret the government don't want us to know! Prepare to be exterminated............

Of course, they'll now know exactly who you are, and where you are, and what you've been doing in the last however many days due to the amount of CCTV installed to monitor us! :(