The original Halloween to be re-released in the cinema!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
Forum Member
✭✭
Excellent News!

I will be going. I was too young to see it on it's original release, so pleased I finally get to see it on the big screen!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a406015/halloween-to-return-to-cinemas-in-october.html

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Excellent News!

I will be going. I was too young to see it on it's original release, so pleased I finally get to see it on the big screen!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a406015/halloween-to-return-to-cinemas-in-october.html

At the moment it's US only unfortunately, and it's a "Limited" re-release at that, so the odds of it being re-released outside the US are fairly slim.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Shining is re-released too, in its extended cut (not seen in UK cinemas before).
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Real shame id love to see it at the cinema
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Saw it last year at a special screening at the showroom in Sheffield...if it gives you goosebumps watching it on DVD...just wait! It was awesome!
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first Halloween still gives me the creeps...that music and Michael Myers. :o
  • TheWildHeartTheWildHeart Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Great news. Big John Carpenter fan.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,857
    Forum Member
    I would much prefer to see the original The Fog on the big screen but I hope this re - release does well.

They need to do a well advertised campaign really in order for it to do well. A good way would be to "push" it in the trailers in cinema's from now on until itrs release. Having worked in cinema, I know that when a film is "pushed"/shown a lot in trailers and looks good, they often do do well.

If they just rely on the odd poster here and there, that appraoch does not work well on any film.
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    This is just a view and not criticism but why are they re-releasing all these films, have film makers run out of ideas, like all the 'reboots'.
    Forum Member
    Deccomajor wrote: »
    This is just a view and not criticism but why are they re-releasing all these films, have film makers run out of ideas, like all the 'reboots'.

I think they have largely run out of ideas or can't be bothered to put on "their thinking caps" and come up with good new ideas for films.

Given of a choice of really crappy remakes which imo there have been so many of, or re-release the brilliant originals, I would much prefer the latter. It gives those of us who never saw the originals on the big screen a chance to do so and even those who did see the films on the big screen the first time around, might wanna see them again in a Cinema etc etc.
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    Would love to see this and Elm Street on the big screen. Infact, Hollywood could have saved itself tens of millions remaking them when a re-release would have been more profitable and enjoyable for me.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Deccomajor wrote: »
    To be fair, none of these re-releases get anything like the same run/exposure of a major release. Even the 3D retrofits (Titanic, Phantom Menace etc) are done and dusted pretty quickly.

Yes, it is Hollywood shaking the piggy bank for the last remaining shekels, but some people do want to see them again on the big screen (especially those films that really benefit from a screening), and those new to them get to see them in their natural home too.

Done with tact, and an eye to what's wanted, the re-release market could catch on. Not in any major way, of course, but it could prove beneficial to many. It's only when they start to re-release any old dreck that we should worry.
    Forum Member
    I think it would be good if film distributors re-released films that where good/very good and popular in their general release but have not been "raved about ever since" like Star Wars or Jaws.

Films like Point Break, The Commitments, Goodfellas, The Running Man, Coming To America, Beverly Hills Cop and on and on I could go. Again they would need to be pushed good in the trailers in cinemas at the very least well before their release in order for them to do well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    I think it would be good if film distributors re-released films that where good/very good and popular in their general release but have not been "raved about ever since" like Star Wars or Jaws.

Films like Point Break, The Commitments, Goodfellas, The Running Man, Coming To America, Beverly Hills Cop and on and on I could go. Again they would need to be pushed good in the trailers in cinemas at the very least well before their release in order for them to do well.

I can't see many of the films you list there being particularly popular if they were given a re-release, even if they gave them a massive push (i could maybe see Goodfellas being the exception). The whole point of them re-releasing films like Jaws and Star Wars is precisely because they've been "raved about ever since", the distributors know that people will go and watch them in large enough numbers to justify the cost of re-releasing it. The same goes for the recent IMAX re-release of Raiders of the Lost Ark (which i saw last weekend and was fantastic to see on the big screen). As much as i like Point Break, i really doubt that it would pull in much of a re-release audience.
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I can't see many of the films you list there being particularly popular if they were given a re-release, even if they gave them a massive push (i could maybe see Goodfellas being the exception). The whole point of them re-releasing films like Jaws and Star Wars is precisely because they've been "raved about ever since", the distributors know that people will go and watch them in large enough numbers to justify the cost of re-releasing it. The same goes for the recent IMAX re-release of Raiders of the Lost Ark (which i saw last weekend and was fantastic to see on the big screen). As much as i like Point Break, i really doubt that it would pull in much of a re-release audience.

The difference with the always raved about films is that people in a lot of cases may have seen them to many times to be bothered to go and see it on a re-release where awesome films like Point Break may not have that factor and could attract lots of people coming to watch it if it was pushed enough. Really they need to be advertised on TV/radio too and film distributors may get put off by the cost but its bound to be cheaper doing that than re make the films and badly too.

I'm not sure if it would work all in all but as a lover of great films I would love to see those films I mentioned on the big screen and wish I was old enough to have seen them on the big screen the first time around.

Maybe in the meantime I should save up for as big as I can get/fit into my flat a flat screen TV huh? :)
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    The sort of film I'd prefer re-released are the sort that have built up a reputation but only after a while from their original release, or weren't given much of a release to begin with. The sort of high-ranker that the majority have probably only seen via DVD etc. I'm thinking Mulholland Drive, Requiem for a Dream and so forth. I know these sorts do turn up at indie cinemas, festivals and have other sorts of screenings etc, but I think a wider, more co-ordinated re-release would be much appreciated.

Never caught Magnolia when it was first around and would love to see that in a cinema. There's loads I could name, thinking about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    It's official!! Halloween is getting a limited re-release here in the UK :D Read below for the selected Showcase Cinemas it's playing at:

NOTTINGHAM
    Showcase Cinemas
    Clifton Blvd (A52)
    Redfield Way
    Lenton, Nottingham, NG72UW
    Phone: 0871-220-1000

READING
    Showcase Cinemas
    Loddon Bridge
    Reading Road
    Winnersh, Wokingham, RG415EH

PETERBOROUGH
    Showcase Cinemas
    Mallory Rd and Boongate
    Cambridgeshire, PP15AH

LEEDS
    Showcase Cinemas
    Gelderd Road
    Birstall
    Leeds, West Yorkshire, WF17 9TB

PAISLEY
    Showcase Cinemas
    Griffin Avenue
    Phoenix Business Park
    Paisley, PA12BH

TEESSIDE
    Showcase Cinemas
    Aintree Oval
    Teeside Leisure Park
    Stockton-On-Tees, TS177BU

CARDIFF
    Showcase Cinemas
    Heol-Yr-Odyn, Parc Natgarw
    Treforest Industrial Estate
    Natgarw, CF157QX

WALSALL
    Showcase Cinemas
    Bentley Mill Way
    Walsall, Darlston
    West Midlands, WS20LE

COVENTRY
    Showcase Cinemas
    Gielgud Way
    Coventry, CV255Z

BLUEWATER
    Showcase Cinemas
    Water Circus Bluewater
    Kent (county)
    Greenhithe, DA99SG

LEICESTER, S/C DE LUX
    Showcase Cinemas
    7 Highcross Lane
    Highcross Centre
    Leicester, LE14SD

DERBY, SHOWCASE DE LUX
    Showcase Cinemas
    Level 3 West Mall
    Westfield Centre
    Derby, DE12PQ

BRISTOL, SHOWCASE DE LUX
    Showcare Cinemas
    Bristol, Broadmead
    Lower Castle Street
    Bristol, BS13AG

Just booked my tickets, so excited to witness this masterpiece of the big screen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Here's my feature with Justin Beahm who is writing a book on the Halloween series -

http://lovehorror.co.uk/michael-myers-this-is-your-life

Just off to watch Halloween at the cinema myself!