Options

Brits spend "£122 million a week on take-away coffees"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
Forum Member
So apparently Brits are spending "£122 million a week on take-away coffees" - an average of £393 a year for big coffee fans:

http://www.watchmywallet.co.uk/news/2013/january/uk-spends-on-coffee-save-money-coffee-orsaveit/

Do you think we are becoming more Americanised - with the increase in home coffee machines etc? Losing our tea-loving roots?

It would be interesting to know if tea drinking is still in decline - the only info I could find on it was in this article but that was from 2005 so a bit old (and about the increase in herbal tea)...Anyone know any new figures on it?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/may/18/foodanddrink

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do love a good cup of coffee. If I pass a costa or starbucks I just can't resist :o

At home in the evening though there is nothing better than a good cup of tea. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    Just have a cup of nescaff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _drak wrote: »
    Just have a cup of nescaff.

But I want a double tall, sprinkled,half and half mocha lite cappucino espresso with marshmallows :(
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    I do love a good cup of coffee. If I pass a costa or starbucks I just can't resist :o

At home in the evening though there is nothing better than a good cup of tea. :)
    I'm the same with Costa, but I don't like Starbucks coffee at al..

I still drink tea though,it's particularly good for anti oxidants
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NXV839 wrote: »
    So apparently Brits are spending "£122 million a week on take-away coffees" - an average of £393 a year for big coffee fans:

http://www.watchmywallet.co.uk/news/2013/january/uk-spends-on-coffee-save-money-coffee-orsaveit/

Do you think we are becoming more Americanised - with the increase in home coffee machines etc? Losing our tea-loving roots?

It would be interesting to know if tea drinking is still in decline - the only info I could find on it was in this article but that was from 2005 so a bit old (and about the increase in herbal tea)...Anyone know any new figures on it?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/may/18/foodanddrink
    BIB......I wouldn't say 'Americanised', more European if anything!

Considering 'brits' have been taking holidays in European countries regularly now since the 60s/70s, it's taken a long time for decent coffee to 'catch on' here in the UK. Even now it's not uncommon to get served up a mug (yes some brits still sneer at those tiny cups!) full of boiled black water.

Making a good coffee is an art form in itself and proper coffee machines (domestic) don't come cheap. Industrial machines cost thousands. The first thing you have to know about is what kind of water you are pumping through the machine. If hard it will need filtering otherwise the machine pipes will scale up and block within a few weeks.

I'm not that surprised at the figures quoted......more surprised it's taken so long! Worth noting though that Coffee drinking here is hellishly expensive and way OTT. In Bulgaria I was paying 40pence for a double espresso.....and that included waitress service too! Here in the UK a double espresso costs a staggering £1.85.....collect at the counter!
  • Options
    this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NXV839 wrote: »

My share of that is £0 per year.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best coffee is served in Europe though, not America.

A good strong cup of black coffee can be found easily in Italy, Scandinavia and even Germany and the Netherlands.

Starbucks coffee is revolting, Costa and Nero are okay as places go
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    The best coffee is served in Europe though, not America.

A good strong cup of black coffee can be found easily in Italy, Scandinavia and even Germany and the Netherlands.

Starbucks coffee is revolting, Costa and Nero are okay as places go

I agree with you about Europe.......the coffee in Italy is especially good!

Starbucks is an insult to coffee .......revolting stuff:(
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

I'm not that surprised at the figures quoted......more surprised it's taken so long! Worth noting though that Coffee drinking here is hellishly expensive and way OTT. In Bulgaria I was paying 40pence for a double espresso.....and that included waitress service too! Here in the UK a double espresso costs a staggering £1.85.....collect at the counter!

I think that's more to do with Bulgaria's lower cost of living. I hate to think how much even a simple espresso would cost in say Rome or Paris these days :eek:
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got dragged into one of there establishments about ten years ago, A thimble full of muck for a fiver :eek:

I was like do I keep the cup! :D
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The smell of coffee makes me vomit. It also keeps me in bed for a week if I accidently ingest some.

I don't know many who go to coffee shops as most people I know do not drink tea or coffee.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never take away coffees. Think most people takeaway coffees if they are on their lunch break, on their way to work or scheduled for a "busy" meeting. Maybe the younger generation going to college/university. I do love a good coffee/latte/frappe/whatever really from a lovely coffee shop. The gingerbread latte from Costa is the sex <3
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I think that's more to do with Bulgaria's lower cost of living. I hate to think how much even a simple espresso would cost in say Rome or Paris these days :eek:
    In France you go to the nearest Auchan Hypermarket where there is nearly always a 'Flunch' restaurant. A Coffee from there costs very little.

Then do a shop around Auchan and (assuming you have your own machine), buy a few kilos of Auchans own brand coffee beans. Way cheaper than UK prices.

You will pay top money in any city. I never went into Sofia when I was in Bulgaria but i'd expect to pay around 80pence for a double if i was in the City centre, but pop down some side street and you'd pay half that.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    Its amazing just how much coffee shops have exploded in popularity over the last ten years. I remember a friend taking me to the first ever (and then only) Starbucks in the UK on Kings road in Chelsea, must have been around 1999.

Most of the coffee sold by the big chains isn't that great quality wise. People should support the quality independents who often do better coffee for less price. Plus their cakes are often made locally and fresh, rather than in some far off factory and pumped full of e numbers.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    What's with the continual criticism for stuff we don't "need"?

Are we to assume that because you don't ride everywhere on a fair-trade bicycle made of hemp, wear George clothing and survive on a diet of lentils and tap-water you simply MUST be living an extravagant, decadent, hedonistic lifestyle?

Anybody care to guess what the hair-styling industry, or the manicure/pedicure industry in the UK is worth?
    How about the cosmetics industy or even (if you can bear to think about it) the entertainment industry?
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only spent £73 million.
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the question should be "How much do we spend on beer in comparison?"

If anything, now that political correctness has killed off the 'lunchtime pint' that market share has been taken by takeaway coffee.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the question should be "How much do we spend on beer in comparison?"

If anything, now that political correctness has killed off the 'lunchtime pint' that market share has been taken by takeaway coffee.

Consumer expenditure on alcoholic drinks is about £40.7 billion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    What's with the continual criticism for stuff we don't "need"?

Are we to assume that because you don't ride everywhere on a fair-trade bicycle made of hemp, wear George clothing and survive on a diet of lentils and tap-water you simply MUST be living an extravagant, decadent, hedonistic lifestyle?

Anybody care to guess what the hair-styling industry, or the manicure/pedicure industry in the UK is worth?
    How about the cosmetics industy or even (if you can bear to think about it) the entertainment industry?

The point of contention with coffee shops is that you can make a similar cup of coffee at home for a fraction of the cost.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    BIB......I wouldn't say 'Americanised', more European if anything!
    <snip>

I dunno. Where in Europe do you find "massimo" lattes in paper cups? :p

I agree that coffee making can be an art though. David Schomer's book on professional techniques is a must read for any enthusiast, imo.
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Consumer expenditure on alcoholic drinks is about £40.7 billion.

So the coffee market is piddlingly small in comparison then, as I suspected.

More bs and hyperbole from journos desperately trying to turn sweet FA into "News" about "seismic cultural shifts".
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    The point of contention with coffee shops is that you can make a similar cup of coffee at home for a fraction of the cost.

Even if that were true, why is a point of contention? Do you ever go out to restaurants to eat even though you could probably cook yourself dinner for a fraction of the cost?
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Can you?

Even if you can, that doesn't really help if you're not at home, does it?

Are we to assume that the entire restaurant/cafe industry is equally frivolous cos people can make their own food at home too?
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully, I don't like coffee, so probably saved myself a fortune. :p
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well I certainly can't make a drink like the ones I buy at Costa.

I'm not a big coffee drinker (actually don't like the stuff by itself at all), but I love a hazelnut or caramel latte from Costa when I get the chance. I'm a bit fed up of hearing people moan about what a waste of money it is to spend £3 on a drink or sneer at the fact it's not 'proper' coffee. I happen to just enjoy drinking the flavoured lattes that Costa make and I can afford to do so.

So, leave me alone coffee snobs! :p