Which is your favourite Hitchcock movie?

Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
Forum Member
✭✭
As the new Hitchcock movie has just came out what is your favourite movie of his?
Mine is Psycho with Janet Lee and Anthony Perkins. I have loved this movie since the first time I saw it decades ago.

Comments

• intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    The Man Who Knew Too Much, 1956 version. Just love everything about this one - the humour, the singing, the suspense, the plot, Jimmy Stewart, THAT ending :)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    North by Northwest
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    intruder2k wrote: »
    The Man Who Knew Too Much, 1956 version. Just love everything about this one - the humour, the singing, the suspense, the plot, Jimmy Stewart, THAT ending :)

I like that one and by coincidence this site I've bookmarked posted these the other day http://blushots.weebly.com/the-man-who-knew-too-much-1956.html

My favourite would Psycho or Frenzy for its 70s Britishness
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I loved the lady vanishes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rebecca is great but a little long
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebecca is probably my favourite, wonderful cast and the plot twists are brilliantly conceived. The only thing that forever niggles with me is that it needed another few minutes at the end before the credits roll, but otherwise it's pretty much flawless.

Honourable mentions: North by Northwest is thrilling, The Birds is terrifying,
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm trying to think of a favourite as there's so many good ones.
    I haven't even seen them all either.

But from the top of my head a few that are right up there at the top for me are...

Strangers on a Train
    Shadow of a Doubt
    Rear Window

So many good films. Even a Hitchcock film that may not be his best is probably going to be very good indeed by normal standards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Rebecca is probably my favourite, wonderful cast and the plot twists are brilliantly conceived. The only thing that forever niggles with me is that it needed another few minutes at the end before the credits roll, but otherwise it's pretty much flawless.

Honourable mentions: North by Northwest is thrilling, The Birds is terrifying,

I know what you mean but that's what films did back then - tell the story then credits roll.

Nowadays you have to have explanations via three different endings all dragging it out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    Nowadays you have to have explanations via three different endings all dragging it out.

ha, i wouldn't go that far, but it just jars that it ends so quickly, i'd argue that a little more time given to the end chapter would have made it less so.

I agree it is the nature of films at that time though, to a degree.
  • wodder18wodder18 Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    So many brilliant films to choose from but Dial M for Murder just edges it for me.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rear Window.

Psycho is on ITV at about 3 am tonight btw.
  • monrosemonrose Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen any Hitchcock movies but I am interested in seeing Psycho
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    monrose wrote: »
    I've never seen any Hitchcock movies but I am interested in seeing Psycho

You don't know what you are missing.

I would have to say for suspense Rear Window with Vertigo, very close. I would say for dramatic narrative Rebecca and Notorious are very good.
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    Frenzy, Rope and Marnie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    You don't know what you are missing.

I would have to say for suspense Rear Window with Vertigo, very close. I would say for dramatic narrative Rebecca and Notorious are very good.

Notorious is another favourite of mine, bit slow to start, but the sense of building intensity in the second half of the film is outstanding.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Rear window
  • Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer his early English films to the better known, American ones so it's The Lady Vanishes for me.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    My top 5 in order of preference :-

1. Psycho - the game changer. The Grandaddy of the 'Slasher Movie'. So many iconic scenes.

2. The Lady Vanishes - Has the best comic interplay of any of Hitch's films. A very clever MacGuffin as well.

3. The 39 Steps - Hitch's best 'man on the run chase movie'. Donat and Carroll's chemistry was amazing.

4. Rear Window - Interesting take on media voyeurism and human relationships in a thriller film.

5. Shadow of a Doubt - Interesting tale of evil coming to small town America.

Honourable mentions to North by Northwest(classic chase sequences) and Frenzy(for making a 1970s comeback for Hitch and covering a graphic subject).

There are a few others as well(e.g. Rebecca and Notorious). Generally Hitch had quite a high output, but he needed a good script, without he turned out a turkey(e.g. Topaz!).
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with striped cat on his first four picks. 'Psycho' is the only one I've bought on Blu-ray, and is my favourite. 'The Lady Vanishes' is my second favourite. The only others I really like are 'Strangers On A Train', 'The 39 Steps', and 'Rear Window'.

Quite a few of them that I don't like, though. 'Rope', for instance. What a load of rubbish that film is.
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dial M for Murder, although I haven't saw all of his films so when i finally get around to watching them my favourite will probably change.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psycho
    North By Northwest
    Frenzy
    Dial M For Murder
    Shadow Of A Doubt
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Birds. Watched it AGAIN last night on ITV. :D
  • monrosemonrose Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna38 wrote: »
    Dial M for Murder, although I haven't saw all of his films so when i finally get around to watching them my favourite will probably change.

Was Dial M For Murder remade in 1998 as A Perfect Muder (starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Michael Douglas) or are those two separate films?
  • spearmintspearmint Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow Of A Doubt, Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window, North By Northwest and Rebecca.
  • MissySmithMissySmith Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Rear Window
    Rebecca