ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take it to HR.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was probably just a poorly worded way of saying you sound too camp on the phone, rather than an attack on your sexuality.

Of course campness doesn't necessarily mean one is gay, although it is a general stereotype of it.

As you are an actor, adopting a different demeanour shouldn't be too difficult for you?
  • Options
    MrsCloumboMrsCloumbo Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish the mods would so something about these "brand new" posters who've obviously come here with the sole intention to troll and nothing else. I know I'm not the only poster who's getting fed up of it, they're spoiling the entire forum>:(

Who on earth are you moaning about?
    Are ALL posters under th 20,000 post thresh hold considered 'outsiders' or 'trolls' .. another dismissive expression loved here
    Prejudice and elitism sure seem to exist even on a thread where non 'brand new' but 'good old' posters are just doing their best to help ... as only they are qualified to...
    Get over yourself
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    It was probably just a poorly worded way of saying you sound too camp on the phone, rather than an attack on your sexuality.

Of course campness doesn't necessarily mean one is gay, although it is a general stereotype of it.

As you are an actor, adopting a different demeanour shouldn't be too difficult for you?

But how on earth does "campness" make someone a bad sales person though? :confused:

The boss clearly has something against homosexuals and that should not be tolerated in 2014.

Thinking about it.... Every "camp" sales person I've ever encountered has been a great at selling.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can your sexuality have any bearing on your work performance in sales? Unless your job is to sell directly to cavemen only I can't see the problem.

Nobody will choose not to buy something based on the sexuality of the salesperson. They either find the deal attractive or not.

Your books was being homophobic and shouldn't be allowed to get away with this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    Don't pursue this too much, OP. He already thinks you're 'sensitive' as it is. just brush it off and get on with your job. Don't give him more reasons to have a problem with you.

Bloody hell... :o

Don't listen to this sort of thing OP. Make an official complaint.
  • Options
    Tom_BasilTom_Basil Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sound gay too and once did sales.

I sold a lot, but then my boss didn't ever say what yours did to you.

My colleague did once say I sounded feminine on the phone though.
  • Options
    ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    Bloody hell... :o

Don't listen to this sort of thing OP. Make an official complaint.

I thought it was a pretty reasonable comment. If he starts getting arsey, it's just gonna turn his boss off of him faster. Just keep your head down and get on with your job. Employers don't like difficult employees, and if you want to keep your job, it's best to just drop your complaint and keep working.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too think this was a homophobic remark. I can't think of any circumstance where I would be unlikely to purchase something from someone that sounded gay (I assume he really means effeminate since homosexuality is a sexual orientation not a descriptor of someone's voice)

I would tell him that you found the comment offensive and that you would like him to explain what difference being gay or sounding effeminate could possibly make.
  • Options
    thebtmanthebtman Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a meeting with my boss yesterday talking about why I hadnt made more money for the company and myself (I work in sales) and he said that he thought it was because I sounded 'too gay on the phone'.

I said that all my life people had judged me on my sexuality and that I didn't need it in the workplace nor was it particularly helpful.

The more I think about the comment the more it's bothering me, am I being over sensitive or has he stepped over a line?

An unacceptable comment imo. However, I suspect he would deny saying it you took matters further.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why does the OP think that he isn't making higher sales? Has he done selling before? Perhaps he is not very good at it?

The owner may know his customers better than the OP does, and thinks that they are put off by the voice: they might also be put off if someone sounded too posh?

The owner may be homophobic or may not. If the OP has had other references made to his sexuality this would be a better indication of whether there is any action that could be taken. In a larger company a complaint could be made to HR, but I suspect that if a fuss is made in this case a new job will have to be found.

After all, the owner may have correctly identified why sales are lower than expected. Alternatively, perhaps the OP needs some training in selling?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a meeting with my boss yesterday talking about why I hadnt made more money for the company and myself (I work in sales) and he said that he thought it was because I sounded 'too gay on the phone'.

I said that all my life people had judged me on my sexuality and that I didn't need it in the workplace nor was it particularly helpful.

The more I think about the comment the more it's bothering me, am I being over sensitive or has he stepped over a line?

What did your boss actually say to that comment?
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member

You are probably being over sensitive, yes. Clearly the real problem is that for some reason your sales performance is disappointing at the moment. Figuring out why is something that only you and your boss can do. You haven't said what you're selling, and who to; nor how you yourself perceive your 'technique'. Its therefore impossible for us to know quite what your boss meant, but I suspect that you do know. I shouldn't think he gives a damn whether you're straight or gay, and has inadvertently upset you.

Concentrate on what he really meant, and on improving your technique.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »
    So why does the OP think that he isn't making higher sales? Has he done selling before? Perhaps he is not very good at it?

The owner may know his customers better than the OP does, and thinks that they are put off by the voice: they might also be put off if someone sounded too posh?

The owner may be homophobic or may not. If the OP has had other references made to his sexuality this would be a better indication of whether there is any action that could be taken. In a larger company a complaint could be made to HR, but I suspect that if a fuss is made in this case a new job will have to be found.

After all, the owner may have correctly identified why sales are lower than expected. Alternatively, perhaps the OP needs some training in selling?

All good points.
    Added to which: this is clearly a commission only, or partial commission based, job. So its not a case of being discriminated against or denied opportunities. So nothing that any HR department can practically assist with. The OP is master of his own earnings potential.
  • Options
    thebtmanthebtman Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »

Seriously?! You are justifying a rather homophobic comment.

Yes we all know that some people can sound gay, but that shouldnt be an issue surely?

Its acceptable to speak to someone for not reaching sales targets...but that wasnt quite what he did was it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would find out where you stand legally, has this happened to someone else and what did they do? You could then print out similar cases and put them on his desk and say something like, I am sure that you did not intend to use homophobic language, and another worker may have taken further action, but I am williang to overlook it this once and see what happens. Keep and emails and make a note of any conversations etc though in case he sacks you and you then go to a tribunal.
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    Don't let him get away with it, saying something like that is totally unacceptable. Report him, your company should have some sort of formal grievance process to follow.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ave you considered leaving and then taking him to an employment tribunal for constructive dismissal or discrimination on the grounds of sexuality? https://www.gov.uk/dismissal/unfair-and-constructive-dismissal

If you are going to take this route, you will need to act quickly, ie not keep working there after he's made the comment. Get some legal advice on where you stand though. http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/work_s/work_work_comes_to_an_end_s/dismissal.htm
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Armi wrote: »
    Take it to HR.

This. I wouldn't stand for it and would feel discriminated against, which is a violation of most workplaces policies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be really pissed off. That's out of line!
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    OP, I have had the exact same problem as you vocally in sounding effeminate on the phone and often get mistaken for a woman (I've had people repeatedly ask me on the phone for my name because they don't believe me even when I pass security) and it upsets me a lot when this sort of stuff happens. So if this happened to me I would hit the roof, it's outrageously unprofessional and you can't change your voice so its stuck. I would certainty file a complaint, I know you said that HR is non-existent but its useful to have stuff on file in case it happens again. At the end of the day you were hired for your skills to do the job, your voice shouldn't ever affect that, Its annoying and upsetting I know but I'd try not to let it bother you too much as people can be insensitive idiots
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's illegal for your employer to bring up your sexuality, even if they 'believe' it's related to your performance. It's fine for your employer to say you're not meeting targets and that you need to work harder but they can't bring up your sexuality any more than they can bring up the colour of your skin.

Phone sales is a high pressure job anyway and personally, I wouldn't work in phone sales unless I desperately needed the money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChipPaper wrote: »
    I thought it was a pretty reasonable comment. If he starts getting arsey, it's just gonna turn his boss off of him faster. Just keep your head down and get on with your job. Employers don't like difficult employees, and if you want to keep your job, it's best to just drop your complaint and keep working.

Sorry but I think that is terrible advice. The OP has no reason to be fearful about losing his job, he is quite obviously in the right. Making an official complaint will make things difficult for his boss, not him!! Of course it will get a little awkward but so what??

OP don't let posters like ChipPaper put you off. If your boss is stupid enough to make your life difficult after you complain that will only give your complaint more weight. Do it through the proper channels though, find out what the grievance procedure is ect. Good luck!
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thebtman wrote: »
    Seriously?! You are justifying a rather homophobic comment.

Yes we all know that some people can sound gay, but that shouldnt be an issue surely?

Its acceptable to speak to someone for not reaching sales targets...but that wasnt quite what he did was it?
    Seriously you are talking rubbish...

If someone is involved in telephone sales then quite obviously the way they sound can affect their efficiency.
    ave you considered leaving and then taking him to an employment tribunal for constructive dismissal or discrimination on the grounds of sexuality? https://www.gov.uk/dismissal/unfair-and-constructive-dismissal

If you are going to take this route, you will need to act quickly, ie not keep working there after he's made the comment. Get some legal advice on where you stand though. http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/work_s/work_work_comes_to_an_end_s/dismissal.htm
    Oh do get real...

They commented on the way the original poster sounded on the phone, not their sexuality.
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    At the end of the day you were hired for your skills to do the job, your voice shouldn't ever affect that, Its annoying and upsetting I know but I'd try not to let it bother you too much as people can be insensitive idiots
    They are clearly employed to sell over the telephone, if their voice is off putting to customers then it very much does matter...
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    unacceptable.

is he old or a bit thick? perhaps both?
    It is unlawful to discriminate against, or to harass workers, because they are believed to be lesbian, gay, bisexual or heterosexual, whether or not they are actually lesbian, gay, bisexual or heterosexual.