c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have been for a while - but only if you are in a direct fibre (FTTP) area.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed, I was looking at what BT offers in my area. Currently on VM cable. No issues with them but my work are willing to subsidise a BT connection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT FTTP is better than VM Cable, as it doesn't traffic manage nearly as aggressively.
  • Options
    MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus wept. I can't even get 38mb BT Infinity and now they are rolling out 300mb Infinity? BT really p*** me off!
  • Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    Great news for all those Torrent users and home hosts.

Meanwhile in the real world.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madsocks wrote: »
    Jesus wept. I can't even get 38mb BT Infinity and now they are rolling out 300mb Infinity? BT really p*** me off!

Yeah they are rolling out FTTP in a few areas in the UK - Penzance for example. Usually where they have been given some incentive (eg BDUK funding) to do so.

Are you in a non-infinity area, or are you one of the poor souls who are directly cabled to the exchange?
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    I read recently that Openreach FTTP on new builds will start to be more common from now on. So that's a good thing.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    de525ma wrote: »
    Yeah they are rolling out FTTP in a few areas in the UK - Penzance for example. Usually where they have been given some incentive (eg BDUK funding) to do so.

Are you in a non-infinity area, or are you one of the poor souls who are directly cabled to the exchange?

The coverage is extremely spotty. Penzance almost certainly won't have more than one or two streets with it.

I live in a village In Cornwall which is listed as "FTTC / P", the FTTP coverage in reality is a single road, maybe 20 houses. I don't know why, the design of the network is the same as the rest of the village and it isn't a new build estate. The nearby town is the same. I have been in a third town in Cornwall where half of the road has FTTP and then it inexplicably stops and is replaced with FTTC.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »

It's not on their main broadband packages page though. This will only be offered to the few areas that are lucky enough to have access to FTTP. What's in your link has been there for weeks now. I thought that BT were starting to get to work on installing FTTP across Britain from the title of this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT FTTP is better than VM Cable, as it doesn't traffic manage nearly as aggressively.

They haven't bothered about my heavy downloading. Saying this though, I highly doubt I'll get anywhere near the 800GBs mark that some are claiming to have downloaded in a month. I might get to about the 400-500GBs mark on a really heavy download month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madsocks wrote: »
    I don't think BT have finished rolling out fibre. I might be wrong on that though.
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Will speeds like this ever be possible with FTTC?
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Cant wait my area is finally been done this year and its fttp :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Cant wait my area is finally been done this year and its fttp :)

Do you have confirmation that BT have said that your street will be FTTP? (preferably someone from Openreach, not someone from BT retail as they'll just lie like any other big internet provider)

They might say that the exchange is "FTTP" but that's been proven to mean nothing, they'll do one street, give everyone else fibre to the cabinet and the list will say "FTTP" or "FTTC/P".

You might get very lucky but I'd be prepared to be disappointed.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Do you have confirmation that BT have said that your street will be FTTP? (preferably someone from Openreach, not someone from BT retail as they'll just lie like any other big internet provider)

They might say that the exchange is "FTTP" but that's been proven to mean nothing, they'll do one street, give everyone else fibre to the cabinet and the list will say "FTTP" or "FTTC/P".

You might get very lucky but I'd be prepared to be disappointed.

Yeah open reach guys working on our new estate :) been waiting so long. Now just a new router instead of bts rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    Will speeds like this ever be possible with FTTC?
    I'm guessing that once the FTTC speeds are close to the 300Mbits mark, BT might switch people on FTTC to FTTP. 300Mbits might be when people on FTTC get put on FTTP.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'm guessing that once the FTTC speeds are close to the 300Mbits mark, BT might switch people on FTTC to FTTP. 300Mbits might be when people on FTTC get put on FTTP.

There's no way the current technology can do 300Mb using FTTC. Maybe Fibre to the Distribution Point but not FTTC.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Icaraa wrote: »
    There's no way the current technology can do 300Mb using FTTC. Maybe Fibre to the Distribution Point but not FTTC.

Really? Vectoring and a new developing standard G.Fast beg to differ on that one.....

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/07/future-1gbps-fttc-broadband-g-fast-technology-passes-first-stage-approval.html
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member

True, not at the moment, but my FTTC upload speeds are better than ever these days, have just uploaded a 1 Gbyte video file to Youtube at an average 19.2Mbps (it always used to be about 17). I don't think FTTP as currently offered is going to better that, at least not on most FTTP packages and VM comes nowhere near.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Really? Vectoring and a new developing standard G.Fast beg to differ on that one.....

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/07/future-1gbps-fttc-broadband-g-fast-technology-passes-first-stage-approval.html

G.fast requires yet more equipment on the street, e.g. at poles. If BT decides to go down that route they really need their head examined, if they're going to run fibre to or near every pole, why on earth would they then plop some expensive mini-DSLAM on the top and still use crappy copper when they could finish the job for good and do the final stretch as fibre too?
  • Options
    countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not much use to me, which is a shame as I would like to see competition for Virgin here. I live in the suburbs of a city of 125,000, and the BT checker tells me I'd get only 8Mbs if I switched to them from Virgin. So no sign of Infinity here, and I will stay with what is an excellent Virgin broadband service now giving 50Mbs.....but Virgin do need competition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And what proof do you have for that statement?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    True, not at the moment, but my FTTC upload speeds are better than ever these days, have just uploaded a 1 Gbyte video file to Youtube at an average 19.2Mbps (it always used to be about 17). I don't think FTTP as currently offered is going to better that, at least not on most FTTP packages and VM comes nowhere near.

From what I've read, FTTP from BT offers an upload speed of 30Mbits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    From what I've read, FTTP from BT offers an upload speed of 30Mbits.

I'll check when I'm down in PZ again, the house there has FTTP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll check when I'm down in PZ again, the house there has FTTP.

Well, it does say 'up to' 30Mbits upload in the link below. I can't understand why there should be an 'up to' with a pure fibre connection. Unless the sending speed depends on how fast your hardware is.

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Products/Broadband/Fibre_to_the_Premises/index.htm