Options

BBC News

leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I find it disgusting that BBC News has chosen to break away from a report on scotland to go live to a press conference in missouri. It isnt just the BBC who have done it. It is no doubt keeping more important news off the news agenda over here. Scotland is more important than a shooting miles away

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless of content, a filmed report can always be shown later (as indeed it probably will be anyway seeing as it was on the News channel). A live news conference won't wait.

Live events will generally take precedence over recorded events on news channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Regardless of content, a filmed report can always be shown later (as indeed it probably will be anyway seeing as it was on the News channel). A live news conference won't wait.

Live events will generally take precedence over recorded events on news channels.
    I flip the question back and ask would US broadcasters break in to a news report and cover a live news conference here in the UK. There are more important news happening closer to home and the BBC and Sky have chosen to cover a news story in america. It is time we had a news channel that put news of importance to this country first. Just my opinion
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that`s what is sorely lacking on all news channels - More about the bloody Scottish Referendum.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    This is utterly scraping the barrel now, a news channel is going to prioritise a LIVE news conference over a pre-recorded piece they can show again later.

Get a grip, OP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Yes, that`s what is sorely lacking on all news channels - More about the bloody Scottish Referendum.
    That and news closer to home is more important than a news story in north america in my opinion. It is disgusting that no other news matters to the BBC
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    I flip the question back and ask would US broadcasters break in to a news report and cover a live news conference here in the UK. There are more important news happening closer to home and the BBC and Sky have chosen to cover a news story in america. It is time we had a news channel that put news of importance to this country first. Just my opinion

Ok, you have chosen not to discuss the points made in my reply .......

Nonetheless, the US networks generally have a reputation for being insular and ignoring events that don't directly or indirectly affect the US. The day that those networks are held up as paragons of virtue would be a very bad day indeed.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this had happened on the European mainland they wouldn't have gone over live (even if it was in English). For some reason events in the US always get more coverage than they really warrant from a UK perspective. Too many journalists here have a crush on the US.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That and news closer to home is more important than a news story in north america in my opinion. It is disgusting that no other news matters to the BBC

So something which happens in one months time is more important to something happening right now ?

Sorry but i agree with the others, and judging by the lack of support you are getting, i am not alone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In OP Land, the BBC News Channel should continue to show a piece about a cat in Stourbridge giving birth to 20 kittens, rather than show, ooh I dunno, the Empire State Building having a plane flown into it.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In OP Land, the BBC News Channel should continue to show a piece about a cat in Stourbridge giving birth to 20 kittens, rather than show, ooh I dunno, the Empire State Building having a plane flown into it.
    Don't think BBC News TV was around when that happened though?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-25_Empire_State_Building_crash

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course, I was being theoretical :D
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is utterly scraping the barrel now, a news channel is going to prioritise a LIVE news conference over a pre-recorded piece they can show again later.

Get a grip, OP.
    But why would anyone in the UK care whether a news item in a third-world (american) state was shown live or delayed a few minutes until the currently covered story was concluded? I'm sure it will be shown again and again throughout the day - even though most people watching couldn't point to Missouri - even if only the states beginning with M were shown :o
    A shooting in america is NOT news in the UK unless it was a brit who was shot or did the shooting. Hell, they kill tens of thousands of their own citizens every year. Just because they make a big fuss about this one is no reason for other countries to report it.

It turns out that the Botswana police also shot a man, this week. Was that reported? or do the UK media only cover stories that come from the USA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    But why would anyone in the UK care whether a news item in a third-world (american) state was shown live or recorded? I'm sure it will be shown again and again throughout the day - even though most people watching couldn't point to Missouri - even if only the states beginning with M were shown :o
    A shooting in america is NOT news in the UK unless it was a brit who was shot or did the shooting. Hell, they kill tens of thousands of their own citizens every year. Just because they make a big fuss about this one is no reason for other countries to report it.

That is a very ignorant view of the world. I, me, yes ME, cares about what happens in the world and when a police officer shoots an unarmed surrendering man which caused widespread rioting, i want to find out the latest developments. Call me weird if you like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a very ignorant view of the world. I, me, yes ME, cares about what happens in the world and when a police officer shoots an unarmed surrendering man which caused widespread rioting, i want to find out the latest developments. Call me weird if you like.

I'll join you in your "weirdness" if I may.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call me weird if you like.
    Consider yourself called.
    Just out of interest, do you have any connection with St. Louis - anything at all. Visited it once, friends / relatives there, even the slightest knowledge of anything or anyone there. Or is this merely vicarious thrill-seeking and feeling involved in someone else's crisis and personal tragedy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll join you in your "weirdness" if I may.

Freak :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Consider yourself called.
    Just out of interest, do you have any connection with St. Louis - anything at all. Visited it once, friends / relatives there, even the slightest knowledge of anything or anyone there. Or is this merely vicarious thrill-seeking and feeling involved in someone else's crisis and personal tragedy?

I have never been to Mars but when man lands on it i want to know that too.

Thrill seeking at somebodys death ? Of course not and that is very stupid of you to suggest that. I am interested in the world i live in. I know you find that hard to understand
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Is there a problem with recording a press conference and replaying it a few minutes later?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you find that hard to understand
    On the contrary. I find morbid curiousity very easy to understand. Especially when it;s fed by graphic images and "live" coverage.
    However that understanding doesn't stop me feeling repelled by it,
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have relatives in Missouri.

People have relatives and friends all over the world.

We don't live in just Britain anymore you know we live in a global world with issues that affect us.

In case you had forgotten we had a little riot a few years ago involving a policeman shooting someone in Tottenham.

Isis are a threat to the world, Israel/Gaza angers lots of people in this country.

Russia/Ukraine is volatile.

Scotland voting in a month's time should only be top if it has new information plus a lot of people outside Scotland may ask why this would lead the news when we are not involved.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, you have chosen not to discuss the points made in my reply .......

Nonetheless, the US networks generally have a reputation for being insular and ignoring events that don't directly or indirectly affect the US. The day that those networks are held up as paragons of virtue would be a very bad day indeed.

To a viewer in New York something that happens in Chicago is foreign news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The US News channels are very inward looking and rarely give news outside their borders the time of day.I cant see them breaking into a news story to cover a live news conference over here in britain

I agree that the UK News channels seem to fall over themselves when it comes to america. I was pointing out that there is more important news affecting this country. Iraq and ukraine to name two. And a story that is being ignored by the news channels(MH17). Have all the 298 been found a month after the crash. And have all the ten UK victims been accounted for and repatriated back from Ukraine.

Btw i was not implying that the news should have fluffy news stories like cats. BBC News should cover hard news that affects this country. JUST MY OPINION
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The US News channels are very inward looking and rarely give news outside their borders the time of day.I cant see them breaking into a news story to cover a live news conference over here in britain

I agree that the UK News channels seem to fall over themselves when it comes to america. I was pointing out that there is more important news affecting this country. Iraq and ukraine to name two. And a story that is being ignored by the news channels(MH17). Have all the 298 been found a month after the crash. And have all the ten UK victims been accounted for and repatriated back from Ukraine.

Btw i was not implying that the news should have fluffy news stories like cats. BBC News should cover hard news that affects this country. JUST MY OPINION

Which country ? England or Scotland ?

Your whole argument is based on, the nearer to where you live the more coverage a story should get regardless of its importance

Let us put these stories in context. One was a live press conference regards a huge riot which is spiralling out of control. The other was Gavin Esler based in Scotland because today is one calendar month to the Scottish referendum. One was news and one was a feature but you want actual news to take a backstep on a news channel because its a bunch of foreigners and not your neighbours ?

I think you are very xenophobic. JUST MY OPINION.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the contrary. I find morbid curiousity very easy to understand. Especially when it;s fed by graphic images and "live" coverage.
    However that understanding doesn't stop me feeling repelled by it,

You are bordering on insulting. I have absolutely no morbid curiosity and I have no idea where you come up with that ludicrous suggestion I do. Given a choice I would rather Michael Brown be still alive and well. But I am curious as to what is happening to stop it happening again.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They fall over themselves because it is so easy to get coverage out of the States with the networks and all their affiliates (by comparison say with getting coverage out of Iraq). You can hardly blame the UK news channels as breaking news is their business and of course sometimes they get it wrong. As far as the US nets not covering foreign stories

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9BEFfErJpU