Options

Lets kill all the Parrots

2»

Comments

• Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    spookyLX wrote: »
    seagulls & pigeons are bigger pest s yet seagulls are a protected species :(

Seagulls are protected for a good reason. They are generally in decline nationwide.

All species of seagull are on the RSPBs red or amber list.

Without looking it up, I don't know the status of various species of pigeon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spookyLX wrote: »
    seagulls & pigeons are bigger pest s yet seagulls are a protected species :(

Seagulls in the main are only pests because we as a species are messy and leave food remains around, so seagulls have cottoned on to the fact it is beneficial for them to be around humans for easy availability of food and location of their nesting sites. If we weren't such mucky creatures dropping our crap (i.e. food) everywhere, then seagulls being a nuisance near humans wouldn't be an issue.

Same applies to pigeons in urban areas. Foxes, badgers, as well.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    green woodpeckers are bright and noisy flockers and behave like that.

definitely not woodpeckers........I've seen them in the park as well but these were different
  • Options
    Forum Member
    green woodpeckers are bright and noisy flockers and behave like that.

Green woodpeckers don't generally go around in flocks.

You'll be lucky to see more than a couple at any one time.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/g/greenwoodpecker/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_green_woodpecker
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Green woodpeckers don't go around in flocks.

tell that to the flocks i encounter at least three times a week in the village, they don`t appear aware of it.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    For some reason the thread title reminded me of the "Did Jesus kill 2000 pigs?" thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Green woodpeckers don't generally go around in flocks.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/g/greenwoodpecker/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_green_woodpecker

i just read your links, i may have missed it but nowhere could i see any reference to flocking, negative or positive.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    Except these parrots haven't adversely affected native species.

There are flocks of them where I live. They always brighten the place up.

Not yet because they haven't yet gone nationwide, as for flocks brightening the place up you wouldn't be saying that if fruit growing was your business - a flock wouldn't take long to demolish crops.

Get rid of them,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i just read your links, i may have missed it but nowhere could i see any reference to flocking, negative or positive.
    That's because they don't flock so why did you say that they do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's because they don't flock so why did you say that they do?

as i said, they`re flocking in the cemetery i go to several times a week, there`s generally at least half a dozen, usually more, in a group that fly up [noisily] from the ground and into a tree when i approach the gate, that`s a flock to me.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Heartache wrote: »
    What is with this country, if the invasion is human it's a marvellous thing, wonderful and diversity is brilliant.

If it's non human lets annihilate it, kill it all, it's a bad thing. Nature will adapt, the parrots have been here for a very long time, and a dammed sight longer than telephone masts.

LEAVE THEM ALONE.

Abso f'in lutely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tell that to the flocks i encounter at least three times a week in the village, they don`t appear aware of it.

You're a good photographer, right? Take some photos and post them. I'll apologize if I'm wrong. No worries about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    as i said, they`re flocking in the cemetery i go to several times a week, there`s generally at least half a dozen, usually more, in a group that fly up [noisily] from the ground and into a tree when i approach the gate, that`s a flock to me.

Well it ain't really, that's just a gathering.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    Look up introducing a non native species like the cane toad in Australia and see what has happened there.

It seems there could be, finally a silver lining for that:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2760438/Cane-toad-venom-used-fight-prostate-cancer-researchers-attacks-cancer-cells-spares-healthy-cells.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're a good photographer, right? Take some photos and post them. I'll apologize if I'm wrong. No worries about that.

i`ve tried, they`re way too quick off the mark, there are a lot of green woodpeckers here, i`m very familiar with what they look and sound like and they`re distinctive, that`s definitely what they are.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What's the difference?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    flock

noun
    a number of birds of one kind feeding, resting, or travelling together.

:confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Seagulls are protected for a good reason. They are generally in decline nationwide.

All species of seagull are on the RSPBs red or amber list.

Without looking it up, I don't know the status of various species of pigeon.

The woodpigeon population has increased by 80% over the past 25 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :confused::confused::confused:

A few birds hopping up and down from a tree and noshing together is hardly what's known as travelling together in a flock.

Obviously you want to see it that way now to save face but it ain't what's commonly known as a flock ie a large gathering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A few birds hopping up and down from a tree and noshing together is hardly what's known as travelling together as in a flock.

Obviously you want to see it that way to save face but it ain't what's commonly known as a flock ie a large gathering.

no, i`m just saying what i observe regularly. i mentioned nothing about them travelling at all, just what i have seen at the cemetery which is what i would call a flock feeding on the ground, they appear to live there.

i`m not a bird watcher, i don`t know the technical terms, i do know the definition of the word "flock".

edit: i almost missed it, so they DO feed in a group then but the correct term is a gathering.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    Are they native to the UK?

ETA:

A spokesman for the Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency, a DEFRA agency, said the majority of the birds captured had been taken to private aviaries.

He said since 2011, 40 birds had been removed from the wild. Of those, 12 had died and 28 were re-homed.

So not as bad as the headline suggests.

I do think it's wrong of them to hype up the story that way.

There is actually a good argument to look at non-native species on a case by case basis and to see if there are genuine threats to native species, to human health or safety or to necessary infrastructure. Some, such as mink and Japanese knotweed, have already proven their destructive nature whereas other introductions have had a less damaging record such as buddleia (the butterfly bush), little owl and Mandarin duck (see https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mandarin+duck&biw=1024&bih=647&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=m-kmVIfNKe6u7AaCpYDYBw&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ)