Redwood warns business to stay out of EU debate

Comments

• northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    As a Conservative I take a dim view of Redwood on this. I want to hear the views of business and any other stakeholders in our country.

But my dear Wallster Mr Redwood is only saying what a big chunk of the membership and a not insignificant number of MPs are thinking- they only want to hear from big business when it agrees with their eurosceptic hardline views.
    Isn't it time you became an ex-Conservative? They aren't really you anymore are they? :(
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    We must have been a disaster for food and medicine safety pre EU.

Do you really believe that to be a true ?
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We must have been a disaster for food and medicine safety pre EU.

I know, it's a wonder we all managed to live past 30:p
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do I get the feeling that Redwood's comments will only apply to those businesses who come out in favour of remaining in the EU, and not those who come out in favour of withdrawal?
  • iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redwood is the epitome of everything that is wrong with the Conservative Party and the people that support them. An arrogant, ignorant narrow-minded fool of a man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're basically saying we're incapable of setting our own standards and we need the EU to do it for us.

The UK can set their own standards.

At the moment, the UK works with the other EU member states in acheiving standards across the EU. For instance, the UK has worked with other EU member states to provide energy efficiency standards in domestic appliances. So consumers across the EU see a standard energy rating label on the electrical goods which they buy.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    The UK can set their own standards.

At the moment, the UK works with the other EU member states in acheiving standards across the EU. For instance, the UK has worked with other EU member states to provide energy efficiency standards in domestic appliances. So consumers across the EU see a standard energy rating label on the electrical goods which they buy.

Yes and that has been a terrific success - if you had told me last year that the EU could generate panic buying of vacuum cleaners then I simply wouldnt have believed you :D
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    Yes and that has been a terrific success - if you had told me last year that the EU could generate panic buying of vacuum cleaners then I simply wouldnt have believed you :D

Yes but it was good for the retail sector, and will be again when the new regs come in of 900 watt motors think that is 2017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and that has been a terrific success

For once, we agreed.

For instance, the CE Mark on children's toys sold across the EU showing they meet safety requirements - eg toddler swollows part of the toy.

Data protection - you need to give consent for information to be passed onto third parties. There is no equivalent in the US.

Distance selling directive (and its successor) - give consumers protection across the EU when buying goods online.

Airline ticket policy - An EU regulation bans price differences based on the purchaser’s place of residence or nationality and ensures all prices quoted are all-inclusive. So no more of those irritating budget airline hidden extras.

Protected food status - give some producers food labelling protection. Then we know that the food is authentic and not some second rate pass-off.

The EU blue flag status on beaches which meet standards of cleaniness.

I wouldn't quite agree with you that it's been a "terrific success". But would certainly say that it's been mostly successful.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For once, we agreed.

For instance, the CE Mark on children's toys sold across the EU showing they meet safety requirements - eg toddler swollows part of the toy.

Data protection - you need to give consent for information to be passed onto third parties. There is no equivalent in the US.

Distance selling directive (and its successor) - give consumers protection across the EU when buying goods online.

Airline ticket policy - An EU regulation bans price differences based on the purchaser’s place of residence or nationality and ensures all prices quoted are all-inclusive. So no more of those irritating budget airline hidden extras.

Protected food status - give some producers food labelling protection. Then we know that the food is authentic and not some second rate pass-off.

I wouldn't quite agree with you that it's been a "terrific success". But would certainly say that it's been mostly successful.

"We'll keep the blue and stars flag flying here" :D
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The idiots panic bought when there was no need, the EU just brought in sensible legislation that our own government would have been too lily livered to deliver. That's one reason why I favour staying in the EU as their laws often make more sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For once, we agreed.

Indeed - we now wait for panic buying of hairdryers and lawnmowers - an incredibly sensible way to run an economy.. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From your list can you point out the items that a country outside of the EU cannot implement?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    For once, we agreed.

Now think of the crap we have to put up with to enjoy these tidbits.

It is hardly worth it.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From your list can you point out the items that a country outside of the EU cannot implement?

More to the point which ones would they implement? The EU just seem to have "better" laws than would be introduced in the UK by itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    More to the point which ones would they implement?

So no other countries in the world have rules such as these?

The EU just seem to have "better" laws than would be introduced in the UK by itself.

strange thing to say when other posters are insisting that membership does not involve devolving power to a foreign institution.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    It is hardly worth it.

I come up with work that EU does and you dismiss it.

How can we have a sensible debate when you dismiss what I say ? Your approach is little more than "whatever".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    "We'll keep the blue and stars flag flying here" :D

I provide a list of EU work. And your response is a dismissive blusterous jibe.

I provide points for debate. You provide silly derision.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,789
    Forum Member
    Ahhh, what's the matter Redwood? Businesses are going to contradict what you stand for and will influence too many people into voting to stay in The EU IF a referendum is given?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All of those points can be delivered in countries outside the EU. But that's not the point. And in any case, as you saw from the list, EU data protection laws provide more consumer protection than for consumers in the US.

The EU provide standards of consumer protection across the 28 member states.

Now instead of responding with dismissive or derisive comments, why not engage in the debate and find instances where consumer protection elsewhere exceeds those in the EU. Then we can have a proper debate instead of me saying something and you responding with little more than "whatever".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of those points can be delivered in countries outside the EU. But that's not the point.

Sorry but that is precisely the point. Your argument is that we need to be in the EU to benefit from regulations such as those stated - now we have established that that is untrue.

Now instead of responding with dismissive or derisive comments, why not engage in the debate and find instances where consumer protection elsewhere exceeds those in the EU. Then we can have a proper debate instead of me saying something and you responding with little more than "whatever".

Well the debate may be a bit more 'proper' if you stopped insinuating that only the EU can implement regulations :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but that is precisely the point. Your argument is that we need to be in the EU to benefit from regulations such as those stated - now we have established that that is untrue

I was listing the work that EU has done and how it benefits for consumers. Whether we need to stay in the EU to take advantage of those benefits is another matter.

If we leave the EU, will a future UK government decide to keep those benefits ?And if it does, what was the point of leaving the EU ?

And if we had never joined the EU, would we have copied those benefits ? We will never know for sure. And if we had copied those benefits, would it not be better to be in the EU and been part of the process of establishing those benefits ?

There are many unanswered questions on the subject.
    Well the debate may be a bit more 'proper' if you stopped insinuating that only the EU can implement regulations :(

I listed the work that the EU has done.

Other countries and supranational organisations can introduce consumer standards and regulations of their own. B ut have they ? That will be for the EU sessionists to find out.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you really believe that to be a true ?

Do you really believe, I believe it to be true?
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So no other countries in the world have rules such as these?

strange thing to say when other posters are insisting that membership does not involve devolving power to a foreign institution.

Don't forget Majlis the EU is the only effective way to implement anything in these hardline Europhiles on here's eyes.
  • Angels_babyAngels_baby Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this any different to Jim Sillars and his 'day of reckoning' statement post referendum? Though Jim Sillars was talking about consumer power, what was John Redwood referring to?