Why don't sky have a +1 section?

marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm fed up trawling through the channel trying to find the +1 channel I want. It would be so much easier if next to the HD section we had a + section.

Comments

• jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it really should be a BRANCHED setup, with their nominal channels first, then branch off for their +1/2/24, then the remaining channel ie SD on HD boxes or HD on SD boxes!

sky's so called reshuffle barely did anything
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    sky's so called reshuffle barely did anything

the reshuffle abided by current rules that dictate what sky can and can't do with regards to EPG slots.

the slots are owned by the channels, not sky, so any channel move can only be done if the channel itself decides it wants to accept any such move.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marieukxx wrote: »
    I'm fed up trawling through the channel trying to find the +1 channel I want. It would be so much easier if next to the HD section we had a + section.

Well I'm sure I mentioned this in another thread so you aren't the only one that thinks this.
    I would have to say though, as has already been posted about each broadcaster owning the epg numbers, sky could only create an epg section as they have done with the 3D and HD channels, but keep the channels on the same numbers so they don't breach the epg rules.
    Basically when you select the +1 section you would see all the +1 channels only at the EPG numbers you normally find them on.
    This shouldn't be beyond possibility for sky to implement, especially as they have just removed a section (lifestyle).
    Although I suppose it would only get onto the newer boxes, unless they managed to rename what was the lifestyle section on the old boxes, as I have heard that they couldn't remove the name from them?
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Well I'm sure I mentioned this in another thread so you aren't the only one that thinks this.
    I would have to say though, as has already been posted about each broadcaster owning the epg numbers, sky could only create an epg section as they have done with the 3D and HD channels, but keep the channels on the same numbers so they don't breach the epg rules.
    Basically when you select the +1 section you would see all the +1 channels only at the EPG numbers you normally find them on.
    This shouldn't be beyond possibility for sky to implement, especially as they have just removed a section (lifestyle).
    Although I suppose it would only get onto the newer boxes, unless they managed to rename what was the lifestyle section on the old boxes, as I have heard that they couldn't remove the name from them?

What's the need when they are already listed in Entertainment or wherever?
    Unless you are suggesting they are removed from there for there own sectiom, which I'm sure the broadcasters wouldn't be too happy about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Unless you are suggesting they are removed from there for there own sectiom, which I'm sure the broadcasters wouldn't be too happy about.

If your going to be that pedantic you could say that the 3D and HD section isn't needed as they are listed elsewhere also, but sky thought there was a need for that.
    It would be a quick way to find the +1's rather than having to trawl though loads of channels looking, also as people use the +1's less, less people will remember the numbers they are on.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your going to be that pedantic you could say that the 3D and HD section isn't needed as they are listed elsewhere also, but sky thought there was a need for that..

that's because sky market the HD&3D as an improved service.
    +1 clearly doesn't fall into that bracket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    that's because sky market the HD&3D as an improved service.
    +1 clearly doesn't fall into that bracket.

I suppose that's true regarding the HD&3D section, and yes +1 doesn't work like that for Sky, but it would still be good feature.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    +1's should be scrapped altogether, this is what On Demand is for! :)
  • Paul W. HPaul W. H Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    hollerz wrote: »
    +1's should be scrapped altogether, this is what On Demand is for! :)

In theory you are correct but, in real world not everyone has access to the Internet or if they do a very slow connection.
  • StueyStuey Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your going to be that pedantic you could say that the 3D and HD section isn't needed as they are listed elsewhere also, but sky thought there was a need for that.
    It would be a quick way to find the +1's rather than having to trawl though loads of channels looking, also as people use the +1's less, less people will remember the numbers they are on.

This is a really good idea. Off by heart I only know the channel number for ITV+1 (131). Everything else takes me a short while to find, so a separate timeshift section would be a welcome addition.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Good idea, especially as they can't seem to manage having the +1 channels actually next to the original channel, hard to remember where GOLD+1, Dave Ja Vu, Watch+1 etc are now as they've gone right down the guide!

Any discussion about +1 channels always invites responses to the tune of "what do you need them for, there's on demand etc" But actually there's a different psychology involved when watching live TV, when you have to choose your programmes, eg Netflix and IPlayer, you pick your absolute favourities and often don't bother with anything a bit unfamiliar or that requires effort to watch or seems a bit unappealing for whatever reason, live TV viewing is more casual in that you tend to watch things because they are just on or get drawn in to a programme by what's happening on screen immediately in front of you rather than the more vague sounding show descriptionof an on demand screen, as a result you sometimes get to see things that you perhaps wouldn't have bothered to even look at if they were only on demand. This is why I think BBC THREE is going to be rather doomed if content goes online only.

+1 channels are still useful as well in an age of PVR's, Sky+ etc, because you can be casually flicking channels and see something interesting that's half way through or something, and if it's on the original channel you can watch or record it on the +1 when it starts, so they could be here to stay because of these sorts of factors. They also when browsing live TV give you two programmes at any one time to choose between from channels that have them, if they have on demand for that channel as well that's even more, so why argue for less of something. Eventually they might even offer them on more HD channels, Channel 4 +1 HD and 4Seven HD the shuffle channel are already on Freeview.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good idea, especially as they can't seem to manage having the +1 channels actually next to the original channel, hard to remember where GOLD+1, Dave Ja Vu, Watch+1 etc are now as they've gone right down the guide!

This is not Sky's fault, they have to follow guidelines set out by OFCOM with regards to the EPG (which was done so they couldn't take all the top numbers for themselves), everyone gets the next available number, and you own that slot.

If Sky WERE allowed to move things where they wanted, everyone (who hates Sky anyway) would moan that Sky have all the best numbers, so they can't win either way.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Stick all +1 channels in Favorite's if not in use......
  • missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    This is not Sky's fault, they have to follow guidelines set out by OFCOM with regards to the EPG (which was done so they couldn't take all the top numbers for themselves), everyone gets the next available number, and you own that slot.

If Sky WERE allowed to move things where they wanted, everyone (who hates Sky anyway) would moan that Sky have all the best numbers, so they can't win either way.

that's why freesat believe in better, every thing where people want to watch it and no sky getting in the way.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that's why freesat believe in better, every thing where people want to watch it and no sky getting in the way.

So Sky should go against OFCOM and do what they want?
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »

Entertainment just lists all the entertainment channels, meaning the +1 are equally as hard to find.

It would be fine if main and +1 are together, but being as they aren't (and can't be) then a separate tab is the best option.

I only really use +1 on recording clashes, so never remember the channel numbers and whether or not the +1 even exists for a particular channel.

Use of favourites is a reasonable idea, but I use my favourites as "section markers" and it would break that :)
  • ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul W. H wrote: »
    In theory you are correct but, in real world not everyone has access to the Internet or if they do a very slow connection.

I am amazed the amount of people who have BB above 4MB or so, seem to think everyone has a good speed, or everyone has a smart tv to access on demand etc !
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they increased the 50 channel limit on the favourites list you could fit them in. 50 is no where near enough these days. At least then you'd only have to look through a handful of pages instead of loads just to find the likes of ch4+1.
    Forum Member
    So Sky should go against OFCOM and do what they want?[/QUOT

why not as OFCOM is like a dog with no bite it would take years and lots of court battles to make a judgment anyway
    Forum Member
    pumazooma wrote: »
    If they increased the 50 channel limit on the favourites list you could fit them in. 50 is no where near enough these days. At least then you'd only have to look through a handful of pages instead of loads just to find the likes of ch4+1.

yes I agree that would be a good addition to the guide
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And far fewer channels. You pays your money, you takes your choice.