Failed recordings... Box on its way out? or?

TGITCTGITC Posts: 2,765
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a samsung / sky hd box with 500gig drive in it. Its been fine for the last four years, but its starting to misbehave :(

The other day, all my recordings that were due to take place in the daytime failed, so I did a planner rebuild and it was fine again. A few days later, I realised that it should have been recording something but no red light was on. The program was actually on tv, but in the planner it still it was due to be recorded, as if it had not started yet (It had) So I performed another planner rebuild, and again, all was fine...

Woke up today, and looked at my planner, completely empty - Yet another planner rebuild - All due recordings and saved stuff back in place...

I'm assuming the harddrive is going, and will probably look at getting a new box (But thats another thread so to speak) so before I upgrade to a 2TB box, anything you can suggest? I don't want it to go down completely over Xmas, and be unable to get another box quickly, but dont want to upgrade if its a simple fix?

I'm running the R010.070.58.13P software if thats any help :)

So thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Comments

• timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since I got the new R010 software I've also been experiencing similar issues on my Sky DRX890. Could be a coincidence though and maybe my box is on its way out too.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On last 1tb box the recordings started braking up like there were signal problems.
    Though as we have had sky since before 2000 they gave me a free 2tb box.
    I find the boxs seem to last around 3 to 4 years and then brake.?
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On last 1tb box the recordings started braking up like there were signal problems.
    Though as we have had sky since before 2000 they gave me a free 2tb box.
    I find the boxs seem to last around 3 to 4 years and then brake.?

I got double that out of my first Sky+ box-got it in 2004 and it lasted till 2012. Article in the current Computeractive magazine says the average lifespan of a hard drive is six years-although obviously it depends on how much use you give it.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timo_w2s wrote: »
    Since I got the new R010 software I've also been experiencing similar issues on my Sky DRX890. Could be a coincidence though and maybe my box is on its way out too.

Ditto. Mine has become unresponsive and needs resetting every other day. Loathed to buy a new box as I'm out of contract
  • pierrevpierrev Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Ditto. Mine has become unresponsive and needs resetting every other day. Loathed to buy a new box as I'm out of contract

Similar here, pace box goes completely unresponsive every few days, whatever happens to be on continues to play whether it be a recording or live TV channel, but remote and buttons on box do absolutely nothing. Any recordings scheduled fail until I unplug and then reboot the box.

Noticeable also that it now takes up to 10 minutes for the box to boot up, its forever waiting for listings.

I upgraded the hard disk in mine to a 1tb 4 or 5 years ago, but as this can happen when nothing is recording, I don't think its the hard disk, only happened since the last software update.

I am thinking of putting a timer in place to reboot the box every day to see if that helps.
  • Renko31Renko31 Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    My brother mentioned he had something similar happen to his box recently.
    After searching on the web, the advice he found was that since the introduction of the Deleted section in the Planner, the box isn't always able to re-use the space that should be available form deleted items.
    The advice is to go into the Deleted section and Permanently Delete the items in there.
    That then seems to allow the box to use that space.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    My Sky+ HD box is doing the same since the R010 update It is a Amstrad 895 box and I have had 3 engineers out and they fitted a new box and LNB and still no joy. Think I may as well cancel with Sky as I am not paying for something I can't use.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had terrible issues over Christmas since the update, the box is now off and one of the boxes from the spare room is in. Visiting family are using Sky Go on iPads to get viewing done!