1959 Music While You Work now online

13»

Comments

• Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone is interested, I have just added an edition of 'Bright and Early' from 1958, played by the Billy Mayerl Rhythm Ensemble. Also, an edition of 'Melody on the Move' by the BBC Northern Ireland Light Orchestra. Both of these can be found under their respective programme titles.

Happy Listening!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further to the above, I have now put two more 'fifties 'Music While You Work' broadcasts on my website http://mastersofmelody.co.uk/
    These are Victor Silvester and his Ballroom Orchestra (1958) - on the MWYW page and Primo Scala and his Accordion Band (1956), which is on the specific page devoted to this band.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be adding a Christmas broadcast by Jack White and his band later this month. So watch this space!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be adding a Christmas broadcast by Jack White and his band later this month. So watch this space!

I have now put this Christmas Special on my website for all to hear. It was in 1948 that Jack White first introduced what was effectively a sequence of community songs presented in a singalong style - in which the band sometimes joined in by shouting and singing (well,of a sort!). It went down so well that the BBC invited him to do it every year - which he did for the next 19 years.

The concept is unashamedly corny, but that's the fun of it. I always make a point of listening to it every Christmas, and it never fails to cheer me up, whatever the weather. So please give it a listen. I mentioned it on another website and somebody came back saying "Absolutely loved it - why can't we have such simple pleasures these days?"

http://www.mastersofmelody.co.uk/

Just click on the Jack White article on the front page and then onto the radio logo accompanying the programme listing for this 1963 broadcast.