Options

More housing woes

Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well, after I found out I was nearly being evicted and which was all sorted out, another problem rears its head, and I know how helpful you all were last time.

The beginning of last year I claimed housing benefit as I was the only one working, and then when my husband started working, I still claimed as I thought that because of our combined income, we would still be eligible.

I now owe £855 due to overpayment of housing benefit, and I don't have the money to pay.

I want to pay, but have no spare income to even pay the £50 a month which I thought I would be able to.

Myself and my husband both work part time, and even though he has 2 jobs, one is soon to end.

This is why I thought I could affor the £50 per month.

My husband has said that we should offer them 320 per month and if they don't like it, they can take it further, but I don't want to go to court, if it comes to that.

I don't receive any benefits, and the lady I spoke to at the council said that if people are on benefits they expect them to pay £46 per month, so how will they take my £20 per month when I am working?

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    go to the citizens advice bureau, they`ll often ring on your behalf and negotiate for you and more successfully.
  • Options
    Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    go to the citizens advice bureau, they`ll often ring on your behalf and negotiate for you and more successfully.

Didn't think of them, thanks.

I will write a letter to the council also outlining my repayment request, just so I cover my back.
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citizen's Advice will look into it and see what you have to pay, any reductions etc and then they'll negotiate between you and the council for an affordable repayment schedule. Don't worry CAB are very good.