The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the debate about ITVs Sunday night woes. This really started when they inexplicably dumped popular long running shows that skewed old. Presumably chasing ad profiles.

Heartbeat et al were a staple and anchored a good audience with the channel. The BBC exploited the decision and basically stole that audience and the rest is history.

A 5 million rating Heartbeat would still be better than any of the ITV ideas that have bombed ever since. If you wonder why some shows like Silent Witness or New Tricks stick around the reason is you don't just presume you can replicate even less good ratings for shows that have a regular audience. New is often far from better.

The nostalgia audience is clearly there - look at Call The Midwife and ITVs success with Cilla that I expect gets the kind of audience that used to watch Heartbeat or The Royal.

With regards to Dancing on Ice coming back, not sure they could persuade Torville and Dean back as that was the reason they decided to end the show - not ratings. Chris Dean lives in the US and decided not tp devote months to living in the UK any more for the show.

They could find a workaround though after a year off with the audience gone not sure how many will come back. Channel watching becomes a habit at weekend and clearly those that used to watch ITV have largely gone elsewhere whatever they put on now.

In any event based on current commissioning ideas they will revive it by inviting Dynamo, Paul Daniels, Penn and Teller, Stephen Mulhearn etc to learn the cha cha in a new series called 'Dancing on Water'.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    On the FA Cup thread the majority opinion seemed to be that the BBC should show Liverpool but would show Man U (assuming they had first pick).

I think its the best game for BBC1. Man Utd should easily overcome Cambridge. Liverpool are a draw and the fact they are away should bring in a decent casual audience. I think BBC1 get 1st pick of replays through rounds 3 to 6 and 1st pick semi-final.

http://sport-onthebox.com/2014/10/09/fa-cup-coverage-set-for-major-bbc-revamp/
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Friday 6th.

First half up against Wales v England, live Six Nations rugby on BBC One.

So that will keep a lid on the rating.

How does the Six Nations usually do? I recall it does well, especially if it's on at primetime.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,277
    Forum Member
    BBC Promotion EastEnders as 'LIVE Week' Coming Soon....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02hqbgv

#EELive is trending on twitter already :o Be nice to find out all the slots soon though.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the debate about ITVs Sunday night woes. This really started when they inexplicably dumped popular long running shows that skewed old. Presumably chasing ad profiles.

Heartbeat et al were a staple and anchored a good audience with the channel. The BBC exploited the decision and basically stole that audience and the rest is history.

I think the soaps moving was the big issue there. I'm sure the likes of Heartbeat and The Royal were 'struggling' around the 3.5m mark (particularly The Royal) by the end of their runs when they were airing at 7pm leading into two hour dramas.
  • Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    Rugby is something I would rather watch than CBB.

CBB is something I'd rather watch than Rugby.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,666
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    How does the Six Nations usually do? I recall it does well, especially if it's on at primetime.
    Very well. And this particular fixture will be high rating. 7.6m tuned in for it a couple of years ago, and that wasn't in peak either.

(England were thrashed 30-3)
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,666
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »

#EELive is trending on twitter already :o Be nice to find out all the slots soon though.
    To be fair to EastEnders, that's not a bad trailer.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »

AMAZING! :o
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a bit freaky! But clearly effective and very well made. I wonder if we'll get an EastEnders ident this year.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,277
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    It's a bit freaky! But clearly effective and very well made. I wonder if we'll get an EastEnders ident this year.
    I think we will.
    Something involving the whole cast was filmed a few weeks back (Carol and Martin were in the snap DTC posted but didn't feature in tonights trailer)
    cylon6 wrote: »
    AMAZING! :o
    Agreed.
    It's not bad at all. it seems to have done it's job so far. People talking about it across social media.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV just aired a teaser for Bear Grylls: Mission Survive during Broadchurch.

I didn't think it was airing any time soon. So either it is actually airing quite soon or ITV are trailing it way in advance.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I think its the best game for BBC1. Man Utd should easily overcome Cambridge. Liverpool are a draw and the fact they are away should bring in a decent casual audience. I think BBC1 get 1st pick of replays through rounds 3 to 6 and 1st pick semi-final.

http://sport-onthebox.com/2014/10/09/fa-cup-coverage-set-for-major-bbc-revamp/

Replay picks alternate but I believe BBC had 1st pick in this round yes. I'm delighted they've chosen the Bolton tie :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    ITV just aired a teaser for Bear Grylls: Mission Survive during Broadchurch.

I didn't think it was airing any time soon. So either it is actually airing quite soon or ITV are trailing it way in advance.

Car Crash Britain is only two parts so it could air on 19th February? It'd have two episodes of Death in Paradise to face then.

I can't see it being a Tuesday or Friday show for differing reasons. There's no point airing it over the weekend as it will be swallowed up and spat out unless they wait for Saturday Night Takeaway/Britain's Got Talent to return and hope the lead in helps. Broadchurch still has four weeks left after tonight and Midsomer Murders a further three episodes post Wednesday.
  • smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    Really impressed with the BBC Sunday night schedule. It skews older but that is proving to be a wise decision. Really have enjoyed Still Open All Hours too. Pity the Beeb don't have another family comedy they can put there in its lace ow it is finished. Perfect placement by schedulers.
    ITV have fallen apart. The weekend needs a complete overhaul. Over the last 5 years or so the channel has been gradually eroded and it is a pale imitation of its former self. Changes need to be made sooner rather than later.

The annoying thing is that they did! Count Arthur Strong is a pre-watershed sitcom, and would have sat perfectly suited to take over SOAH slot when it finishes. I never will understand why they've just chucked it out at 10:35 . . .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [highlight]In the DS Ratings Predictions Game it's Challenge Week, which means no special and every show carries the same weight. But how will that affect the scores?

Will Midsomer Murders kill off people's chance or will Churchill's farewell result in players welcoming high scores? Could Eat Well for Less result in people scoring more on the board and could The Magna Carta put some people Bang to Rights? The Great Sewing Bee could stitch up a few while others may make The Jump and crash land...

So what are you waiting for? Simply click [/highlight]HERE[highlight], hit reply, delete the quote marks and get predicting!

Best of luck and thank you to all those who take part.

:)[/highlight]
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    From tonight the late regional news on BBC One is extended, and so the following programmes are billed at 22:45.

EDIT: Found that it's not permanent, just for the run-up to the election in 101 days' time.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Alex is a good presenter and did a better job tonight than Gary, maybe he had a fault on his BT line. Mark Chapman was rather sarcastic.

I thought Chapman was hilarious with his comments.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Car Crash Britain is only two parts so it could air on 19th February? It'd have two episodes of Death in Paradise to face then.

I can't see it being a Tuesday or Friday show for differing reasons. There's no point airing it over the weekend as it will be swallowed up and spat out unless they wait for Saturday Night Takeaway/Britain's Got Talent to return and hope the lead in helps. Broadchurch still has four weeks left after tonight and Midsomer Murders a further three episodes post Wednesday.

It won't air on Thursdays as ITV are airing Europa League matches then. Not sure when it'll air to be honest. I agree about it not going on Tuesdays or Fridays (unless they're going to put it on Fridays once Benidorm is done but that would seem an odd slot for such a show). Saturdays won't even have a slot until April though so unless they're trailing it way in advance I don't know where it'll land.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    From tonight the late regional news on BBC One is extended, and so the following programmes are billed at 22:45.

EDIT: Found that it's not permanent, just for the run-up to the election in 101 days' time.

The lunchtime bulletin has been reduced to 5 mins (from 15) to compensate.

Although what they've actually done is extend the One O'clock News until 1:40 by simulcasting the News Channel sports bulletin, to ensure Doctors still starts at 1:45 as normal.

All this only applies in the English regions, the nations have alternative arrangements, still have 15 mins at lunchtime, have a shorter late bulletin and now run 5 mins ahead of network at 10:40

This is except on Thursdays, when everyone is in line so Question Time can run at the same time across the UK, and except on Fridays which still has the old length bulletin (they've kept that quiet) so Graham Norton can still start at 10:35

I hope you are paying attention, I'll be asking questions later!
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Deleted as Andy explained it much better.

That will screw up the consolidated ratings for the post-22:00 programmes even more than usual.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »

Although what they've actually done is extend the One O'clock News until 1:40 by simulcasting the News Channel sports bulletin, to ensure Doctors still starts at 1:45 as normal.

All this only applies in the English regions, the nations have alternative arrangements, still have 15 mins at lunchtime, have a shorter late bulletin and now run 5 mins ahead of network at 10:40
    In Wales, the news ends at 10.45pm if BBC One Wales is showing the network programme, but at 10.40pm if BBC One Wales is showing a regional programme.

We've lost the weather forecast from the 1pm News, too. :(
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »

This is except on Thursdays, when everyone is in line so Question Time can run at the same time across the UK, and except on Fridays which still has the old length bulletin (they've kept that quiet) so Graham Norton can still start at 10:35

I hope you are paying attention, I'll be asking questions later!

The whole thing is absolutely barmy - who came up with this and why?
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »

Tony Hall. BBC DG. Stupid S.O.B. :D
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »

Well it's supposed to be so they can give more regional analysis on all the political news ahead of the election. That's what the PR says.

An alternative view is that it is cost cutting with positive spin, as it is easier and cheaper to just run a few more reports again from 6:30 in an extended late bulletin than it is to create specific reports for lunchtime.

You can believe which you want, but they could have extended the late news and kept lunchtime the same if they'd wanted to. I also doubt they would have reduced lunchtime to just 5 mins if ITV hadn't done the same a year or two ago.
This discussion has been closed.