Options

S4c

JingoJingo Posts: 33
Forum Member
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/news/a296965/tv-licence-fee-boycott-over-s4cs-future.html

100 people will with hold their licence fees - that's probably the entire viewing audience given that 25% of the programmes have zero viewers.

Comments

• Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jingo wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/news/a296965/tv-licence-fee-boycott-over-s4cs-future.html

100 people will with hold their licence fees - that's probably the entire viewing audience given that 25% of the programmes have zero viewers.
    I fear you maybe correct
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were any past or present members of the "Welsh Language Society" involved in a different organisation's 1980s campaign of arson against English people's homes in Wales?

Does anyone know?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    "The Welsh Language Society has called on viewers to stop paying their annual licence until the UK government commits to providing what is deemed to be sufficient funding for S4C."

I think they are all being profoundly stupid and confrontational.

For starters, S4C will now be better looked after being operated by the BBC (which provides a lot of the Welsh-language S4C programmes anyway) than it ever would being as a stand alone channel directly at the mercy of some philistine Tory culture minister (bit of an oxymoron there!).

If they want to get their voice heard then what's needed is professional lobbying directed at the BBC management and BBC Trust to get their case across and not some juvenile public tantrum - doh!

PS I sincerely hope these delinquents are fully prosecuted.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should think the people threatening not to pay their licences are S4C employees who have just realised the gravy train is about to hit the buffers.The sooner the BBC takes over and cleans out the stables the better.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, the old 'zero viewers' argument again :sleep:

The BARB ratings also show that out of 228 channels that registered enough viewers to actually be worthwhile considering, S4C was the 69th most watched, ahead of the likes of ESPN and Home (UKTV). Not too bad, when you consider it's aimed at a tiny minority of the population in comparison.

Not that it's got anything to do with this anyway - this is about the BBC taking over funding and cutting S4C's budget. Something which I guess was inevitable in the current climate, but given S4C's very low overheads will soon cut back programming.
    ftv wrote: »
    I should think the people threatening not to pay their licences are S4C employees who have just realised the gravy train is about to hit the buffers.The sooner the BBC takes over and cleans out the stables the better.

Sure there's a gravy train, but not as much as you might think. S4C spent 83% of it's old £100million/year budget directly on programming. On top of that, there's transmission and carriage which are essentials.

Sure those at the top are paid too much, as with every body it seems, public and private, but your average S4C employee isn't getting more than they should.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ironic that the only people who may be watching dont even want to be paying for it.

(Having seen the quality of some of the programmes they should be holding their licence fee back on principal already)

I seem to recall S4C being called the most heavily subsidised channel per viewer in the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    The BARB ratings also show that out of 228 channels that registered enough viewers to actually be worthwhile considering, S4C was the 69th most watched, ahead of the likes of ESPN and Home (UKTV). Not too bad, when you consider it's aimed at a tiny minority of the population in comparison.

Actually that's appalling given the level of public funding it's given.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ironic that the only people who may be watching dont even want to be paying for it.

(Having seen the quality of some of the programmes they should be holding their licence fee back on principal already)

I seem to recall S4C being called the most heavily subsidised channel per viewer in the world.

Yes S4C is supposed to be the most expensive television channel in the world per capita of people in Wales. Most of its finance comes from licence payers outside Wales who presumably have no interest in its programmes because they don't speak the language.It also suffers from the fact most viewers in north Wales tune to services from Winter Hill in preference to home-grown products.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

Not that it's got anything to do with this anyway - this is about the BBC taking over funding and cutting S4C's budget. Something which I guess was inevitable in the current climate, but given S4C's very low overheads will soon cut back programming.

I fully support the idea of a Welsh-medium TV service and there'll regrettably have to be some efficiencies as BBC aren't getting a licence fee rise for the next few years. However, the station will continue to exist to provide a service to the hundreds of thousands of native Welsh speakers.

That said, Welsh Language Society's actions are decidedly unhelpful and counterproductive and they just paint themselves as extreme loons by these ill-considered actions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the phrase ''jobs for the boys (and girls)'' was actually invented for the benefit of S4C employees and their managers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    S4C is lucky to still be in existence, the actions being taken by the WLS are not illegal but ridiculous and quite frankly the full force of the law should be used when dealing with them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    Were any past or present members of the "Welsh Language Society" involved in a different organisation's 1980s campaign of arson against English people's homes in Wales?

Does anyone know?

perhaps one or more of the extreme members
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That said, Welsh Language Society's actions are decidedly unhelpful and counterproductive and they just paint themselves as extreme loons by these ill-considered actions.

That was the viewpoint I was trying to get across in my post - I understand the cuts and restructuring have to be made, although it will probably hurt the programming. Cymdeithas' position is unreasonable, as unfortunately it often is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    neiltaffy wrote: »
    perhaps one or more of the extreme members

Actually Neil it would great to get your views on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does anyone know?

One member of the other organization (Meibion Glyndŵr) was convicted for something other than the arson attacks, but as far as I know isn't associated with Cymdeithas yr Iaith (the Welsh Language Society). As no-one was ever convicted of the arson, it's hard to tell if they're involved with Cymdeithas today, but a lot of Cymdeithas' members are younger people - too young to have been involved in the 80s campaign.
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    Why does anyone see the BBC taking over more of the funding for S4C as a problem? In Scotland, the BBC created and fully owns and runs BBC ALBA, yet I've not heard one complaint from any Scots about the quality of the programmes or the very fact that its a BBC channel rather than an independent one. If its good enough for Scotland, why would anyone in Wales think its not good enough for them also?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having seen the quality of some of the programmes they should be holding their licence fee back on principal already

What programmes were these? On what grounds was the quality awful - content, technical?

Otherwise that's a sweeping statement that could be applied to any channel in the country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »
    Actually Neil it would great to get your views on this.

actually Jack, Ive just given it :confused:

Or do you mean boycotting license fee paying. Not for the proposed cuts, no. Personally speaking

Im more intrigued however about how you equate doing something that you cite as 'not illegal' and yet how 'the full force of the law should be used when dealing with them'.

They are either doing something ilegal or they arent
  • Options
    Forum Member
    neiltaffy wrote: »
    actually Jack, Ive just given it :confused:

Or do you mean boycotting license fee paying. Not for the proposed cuts, no. Personally speaking

Im more intrigued however about how you equate doing something that you cite as 'not illegal' and yet how 'the full force of the law should be used when dealing with them'.

They are either doing something ilegal or they arent

That is a genuine typo, they are illegal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member

I will be interested to see updated figures taken after the digital switchover. Remember that most of Wales didn't have Channel 4 as they had to have S4C.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be interested to see updated figures taken after the digital switchover. Remember that most of Wales didn't have Channel 4 as they had to have S4C.

They were October 2010 figures, six months after DSO was completed in Wales.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What programmes were these? On what grounds was the quality awful - content, technical?

Otherwise that's a sweeping statement that could be applied to any channel in the country.

Certainly not true about being bad technically. AIUI S4C has the most HD content of any channel in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »
    S4C is lucky to still be in existence, the actions being taken by the WLS are not illegal but ridiculous and quite frankly the full force of the law should be used when dealing with them.

Didnt seem like a typo Jack, as you elaborated above. But thanks for clarifying in your last post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly, it's a ridiculous argument. S4C performs very well in its demographic. Considering there are 600,000 Welsh speakers, having episodes rate over 100,000 is very impressive.

The point has been made again and again that the "zero figures" argument includes their pre-school children's strand which is on for 6 hours a day out of approx 18 broadcast hours.

BARB doesn't count viewers under the age of 3(?ish), so it's no wonder these programmes have "zero" viewers on paper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Regardless, its performance isn't good enough to make S4C viable.