Options

Natasha Kaplinsky now on ITV London News

TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What happened to her career?! I guess leaving the BBC was a massive mistake.

Comments

• Options
    Nick_LondonNick_London Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    TomGrant wrote: »

She started off on London Tonight in 2001, then went to Sky News, then BBC and now shes back on ITV London Tonight and she's even been on ITV National evening news a few times. Maybe ITV offered more money?
  • Options
    StevenNTStevenNT Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The regional news on ITV London is produced by ITN rather than ITV themselves. So I would say the regular presenter was absent so ITN have drafted someone else (like form ITV National News) to present it.

So don't read too much into it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Natasha is only temporary until Nina comes back from maternity leave
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StevenNT wrote: »
    The regional news on ITV London is produced by ITN rather than ITV themselves. So I would say the regular presenter was absent so ITN have drafted someone else (like form ITV National News) to present it.

So don't read too much into it.

She's Nina Hossain's maternity leave cover; therefore she's also getting national news presenting gigs through the back door.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvworld101 wrote: »
    Natasha is only temporary until Nina comes back from maternity leave

Then she will join Daybreak:D
  • Options
    epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does she finish this week now?

Apparently Nina Hossain returned to work on Tuesday to report on the Jubilee for the national news and Natasha stood in for Julie Etchingham last night.
  • Options
    NewbieBen12NewbieBen12 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    epm-84 wrote: »

Apparently Nina Hossain returned to work on Tuesday to report on the Jubilee for the national news and Natasha stood in for Julie Etchingham last night.

Natasha joined mid September so if she were to leave next week she has been at ITN for 9 months, so it could be then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Natasha was at Five News, left to spend more time with her family. Now that Nina is back, she will fill in on LT and ITV News as-well as feature reporting
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epm-84 wrote: »

Nina also presented LT on Tuesday.

When Spangles joined ITN, she and Nina job shared for a while before going on maternity and appears to be the same again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvworld101 wrote: »
    Natasha was at Five News, left to spend more time with her family. Now that Nina is back, she will fill in on LT and ITV News as-well as feature reporting

Sounds like a freelance contract where she'll be used as and when required.

I'm not sure why they need Natasha as a relief person when they've got others capable of filling in for Nina.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Spangles joined ITN, she and Nina job shared for a while before going on maternity and appears to be the same again.

I seem to recall Nina filling in for Mary Nightingale most days for a couple of weeks just before she left for maternity leave while Mary was recording a new series of Britain's Best Dish.
  • Options
    Mr.HumphriesMr.Humphries Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Nina back? Hmmmmmm! :)
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess not having a jounalistic background limits the type of current affairs programmmes Natasha can do. At the end of the day she is just a presenter really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I guess not having a jounalistic background limits the type of current affairs programmmes Natasha can do. At the end of the day she is just a presenter really.

And not a very good one either.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's happened to Christine Bleakley ? She seems to have disappeared from ITV completely.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    What's happened to Christine Bleakley ? She seems to have disappeared from ITV completely.
    yes this crossed my mind the other night, with Daybreak just stuttering along, waiting for a revamp which hasnt had a date set yet, Christine has been absent from ITV for a while now. I am aware of no primetime pilots featuring her, yet alone a series.

Her story should be treated as a warning case for any "star" who believes there own hype.

Also her picture should be on the wall of the waiting room, for the room, where BBC stars go to ask for a pay rise.

As for Natasha Kaplinsky, took a very well paid job to present the news on Channel 5, did nothing for the ratings, and quickly got pregnant.

A warning message for all concerned.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She left the BBC for a huge pay rise at 5 News where she then spent most of her time on maternity leave having two children to her investment banker husband. She reminds me of a barbie doll though she is obviously financially astute.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    At the moment she's in between having babies and working for ITV.
  • Options
    tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »

I thought the choice was Manchester or very nice redundance package. It is a personal choice. not necessarily a mistake.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as she doesn't come back to the BBC, very insensitive person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony13579 wrote: »
    I thought the choice was Manchester or very nice redundance package. It is a personal choice. not necessarily a mistake.

Do you mean they were going to offer her the co-presenter role for North West Tonight that Ranvir Singh took up?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    She left the BBC for a huge pay rise at 5 News where she then spent most of her time on maternity leave having two children to her investment banker husband. She reminds me of a barbie doll though she is obviously financially astute.

I seem to recall it was reported at the time she knew she was pregnant when she joined five. They were not best pleased when they launched her in a blaze of costly publicity and she almost immediately went on maternity leave ! A salutory story indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I seem to recall it was reported at the time she knew she was pregnant when she joined five. They were not best pleased when they launched her in a blaze of costly publicity and she almost immediately went on maternity leave ! A salutory story indeed.

Shortly before Natasha left Channel 5 had been sold and new owner Richard Desmond, publicly criticised Natasha for not being up to standard. She left soon after and was replaced by Emma Crosby.