will it be seen as rude or ungrateful

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm off to my boyfriends grandparents for nye, for Christmas they gave me slippers. We've been instructed by his mother to being slippers as their carpet keeps getting dirty. The slippers his grandparents got me are far too big (I am a child's size 13) and really difficult to walk in. I have another pair that have hard soles and are my size and I can walk in, obviously I want to take them but will it seem off not taking the pair they gave me a few days ago? Usually I'd say they don't fit, but they are in their 80's and already go to so much effort to get us anything.

Comments

• BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How small are your feet?!?! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they are actually a size 11 and 12 but so wide I need a 13. I have dwarfism.
  • cjay27cjay27 Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you wear thick socks, or several pairs? Stuff them with something?
  • Cpl_CarrottCpl_Carrott Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    msmasood wrote: »
    I'm off to my boyfriends grandparents for nye, for Christmas they gave me slippers. We've been instructed by his mother to being slippers as their carpet keeps getting dirty. The slippers his grandparents got me are far too big (I am a child's size 13) and really difficult to walk in. I have another pair that have hard soles and are my size and I can walk in, obviously I want to take them but will it seem off not taking the pair they gave me a few days ago? Usually I'd say they don't fit, but they are in their 80's and already go to so much effort to get us anything.

How about finding out where they got them from and changing them to your own size?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuff them with socks
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they are actually a size 11 and 12 but so wide I need a 13. I have dwarfism.

Ah that explains it then. I was all like 'how do you balance'. Lol.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a bring your own slippers new years eve party with old people can i come sounds brilliant
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tell them you wore their gift slippers to YOUR grandparents' house on Boxing Day and left them there by mistake and can't get them back till next weekend.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring both along, but also bring a pair of thick socks you can wear around the house.

Explain the situation to them and if they seem OK with it, ask if you could wear your slippers. If they worry about the hard soles of your slippers, compromise by asking if you could wear thick socks around the house instead. As for the reason why you should bring along your new slippers, they might want to swap them for the ones in the correct size.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Why not just toss them a line about putting the new ones away for when your current ones wear out? Problem solved!
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will it be seen as rude or ungrateful

No not at all, they might expect you to change thie item, it might be to small or to big, or maybe you now have 2 of them
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd wear a pair of socks instead.
  • CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely when you get to 80 you dont give a f*** about things like this.

Tell them the truth and stop being silly.
  • Ada RabbleAda Rabble Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you're not being rude or ungrateful.
    Either take both pairs of slippers, explain you like the slippers but they're too big and could you take them back to the shop, so they don't have to make the extra effort.
    Or if you're worried about that, wear some fluffy socks or something and say oops !forgot slippers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just take them with you so they can see they don't fit and they should understand! Hopefully they'll still have the receipt too.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    What size did they get? If it was me i would shuffle round all night but i dont think it would be rude to say they are too large.

Edit, you said you were told to take slippers as the carpet gets dirty, is that so you dont wear shoes or to keep your socks clean? I cant imagine going to someones where i have to wear slippers as i rarely wear them at home.socks are enough.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about finding out where they got them from and changing them to your own size?

This is what I would do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is they got these adults one size fits all ones. And it doesn't matter how many pairs of socks I put on they are far too long. Decided to go for the 'I left them at my mums' and wear the other pair that help me walk :)
  • rickrickrickyrickrickricky Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Wear your own inside the ones they got for you. You did say they were way tooooooo big.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell them you wore their gift slippers to YOUR grandparents' house on Boxing Day and left them there by mistake and can't get them back till next weekend.

Cooooooooooo..I see you is an accomplished liar...steps back in amazement:D
  • 36_Chambers36_Chambers Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone predict the mind of a 80 year old person?

My rule is if something does not fit me, I dont wear it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are in their 80's, would they even remember buying you slippers? Or what the slippers looked like?

Although it does seem they bought you slippers for Christmas to ensure you had no excuse to not wear slippers at their party. So as long as you wear slippers there shouldn't be a problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they are in their 80's, would they even remember buying you slippers? Or what the slippers looked like?

Although it does seem they bought you slippers for Christmas to ensure you had no excuse to not wear slippers at their party. So as long as you wear slippers there shouldn't be a problem.

I know the grandad definitely wouldn't, the grandma might, but the bfs mother definitely would and would make sure they did know. She's lovely ;)
  • belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask your boyfriend to ring them and say the slippers were a little bit big so he is going to swap them for them 'if that's alright'. Ask him to find out where they got them from and if it's a local shop swap them tomorrow and then wear them at the party.

It's a bit of effort I know but it will make everyone happy .
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My rule is if something does not fit me, I dont wear it.
    Or if I can't slim/grow into it, get it changed.