Options

Why don't gay men and women generally mix together?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know many gay men and some gay women, and from my observations the two never mix nor have friends of either persuasion.
It could be something to do with the attitudes of both...gay men are much more outgoing and 'fun' than lesbians (they are so serious!).

Comments

• Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    They don't fancy each other.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I know many gay men and some gay women, and from my observations the two never mix nor have friends of either persuasion.
    It could be something to do with the attitudes of both...gay men are much more outgoing and 'fun' than lesbians (they are so serious!).

Rather a generalisation!
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do. Plenty of 'lavender marriages', especially in Hollywood.
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    much more outgoing and 'fun' than lesbians (they are so serious!).

Very true. The ones I know are definitely women in comfortable shoes too.
  • Options
    ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gay. I have lots of female friends, with whom I "mix" very well. So, generally, moreover generally speaking, I generally find this thread somewhat of a generalisation. Generally, I do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fink wrote: »
    Very true. The ones I know are definitely women in comfortable shoes too.

So in your world, stilettos= heterosexual woman. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,253
    Forum Member
    I have very limited knowledge being not lesbian myself, and have only gained this little bit from a colleague who is a very open, honest and very charismatic lesbian.

I was stunned when she would not eat the food off a male gay cook, but chose to poach her own eggs at breakfast time (we work in a lovely residential home together).

When I asked her about her reluctance she said that sometimes male gay people 'turn' her (ie, turn her stomach) - I was shocked as she has a lot of gay male friends, but she says deep down she finds 'mutton daggers' horrible, and she does not like to even think about them.

(PS. 'Mutton daggers' is her phrase for willies and balls - I had never heard that expression before!:eek:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    So in your world, stilettos= heterosexual woman. :rolleyes:

Lol, er no. Figure of speech :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather a generalisation!

Yes, because in general this is what I have experienced. There ain't nothing wrong with generalising from time to time, unless you are from the PC brigade, then you would find it very inappropriate. I would hate to think like that.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This, actually, is very, very true. Stereotypes exist - fact. Lesbians tend (only tend, mind) to be more serious, political,.and aggressive. This does not mix with the shallow, flippant, conflict averse tendency of many gay men.

I am a very blokish gay guy, yet I've never had many lesbian friends. We had lesbian neighbours where we used to live - one is nice, but the other quite scary. Typical short haircut, always in trousers - I'm always a little careful what I say.

It's slightly different in the provinces - gay pubs (what few remain) tend to be more mixed. In London, there are very few lesbians to be found on the scene. If you've ever been around the Candy Bar at closing time, you'd know why.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

What I want to know is, why do left handed people never mix with right handed people? I've never seen the two types together. I think lefties are too artistic than righties, who are more practical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lol, er no. Figure of speech :D

Nothing wrong with comfy shoes! :sleep:
  • Options
    ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was stunned when she would not eat the food off a male gay cook

I read that waaaaaaaaaay too quickly! LOL!!! :D:D
  • Options
    Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know any gay people so have no idea
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was stunned when she would not eat the food off a male gay cook, but chose to poach her own eggs at breakfast time (we work in a lovely residential home together). When I asked her about her reluctance she said that sometimes male gay people 'turn' her (ie, turn her stomach) - I was stunned as she has a lot of gay male friends, but she says deep down she finds 'mutton daggers' horrible, and she does not like to even think about them.

WHHAAAAATTTT???!!

That's absolutely insane. She has a big, big problem. I don't find vaginas particularly appealing, nor spend hours staring at them, but to refuse food cooked by a woman - or even a lesbian? Madness!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know three lesbian couples

1. Martial arts instructor (hard) and short haired manly partner
    2. The tubbyhoodies - my wife's rotund and hoodie wearing friends
    3. The EDL member and her partner - B & B landladies - gay guests only (yeah, go figure)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ime, and I have neighbours who are gay too, they do avoid each other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know any gay people

How do you know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    This, actually, is very, very true. Stereotypes exist - fact. Lesbians tend (only tend, mind) to be more serious, political,.and aggressive. This does not mix with the shallow, flippant, conflict averse tendency of many gay men.

I am a very blokish gay guy, yet I've never had many lesbian friends. We had lesbian neighbours where we used to live - one is nice, but the other quite scary. Typical short haircut, always in trousers - I'm always a little careful what I say.

It's slightly different in the provinces - gay pubs (what few remain) tend to be more mixed. In London, there are very few lesbians to be found on the scene. If you've ever been around the Candy Bar at closing time, you'd know why.
    Thank you. People think that generalising is somehow offensive, but as you say stereotypes in all walks of life exist.
    I must say that the lesbians I know and have known take themselves far too seriously and I would rather sit in and watch a dvd than go out for a night out with them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ollie1004 wrote: »
    I read that waaaaaaaaaay too quickly! LOL!!! :D:D

Sorry - I said off when I should have said of - where are the grammar police when you need them most!!!:eek::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WHHAAAAATTTT???!!

That's absolutely insane. She has a big, big problem. I don't find vaginas particularly appealing, nor spend hours staring at them, but to refuse food cooked by a woman - or even a lesbian? Madness!

Well look, in fairness, she also has the idea that men scratch their privates and then do not wash their hands - I feel a bit bad for posting about her this way, but she does have issues - she thinks my veggie food looks like vomit as well!

But in all seriousness, I think there are a few theories about why lesbians and gay males do not necessarily bond together - one of them is that they have nothing in common because they neither share the same biological make up, nor do they share what they are attracted to.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be good friends with someone sometimes you need more in common than fancying the same sex. My closest and longest friends aren't even other gay men. It's people I grew up with or got friendly through work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

3. The EDL member and her partner - B & B landladies - gay guests only (yeah, go figure)

They really are your untypical lesbians then! I have just had a thought why lesbians are generally deemed miserable. It might be something to do with having to go down on their partners so often!:o Let's face it, it can be a rather laborious and sometimes unpleasant task at the best of times!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I rest my case. :D

The more interesting question, is why do gay men and lesbians tend to be so opposite? Lesbians also tend to be much more politically gay - like it's their life, and would be bereft without it. Some gay guys are like that, but they are in the minority.
  • Options
    Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know?

the same way you know gay folk