Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubyRedi wrote: »
    Yes, I do very much agree - to me Louisa is very much what makes the show work (IMO CC is very much under rated).... but the Doc as a single parent would (surely) have a whole new remit :eek: and give the powers that be a whole new road :eek::eek: x

Yes, this is a soap opera no matter what it says....it's not Corrie, but it is in it's own respect
    Doc Martin as a single parent....much too cutsie, too contrived. I can't see it. The BP people are much too jaded (in that delicious desirable way) to do that. This is definitely getting queerer and queerer......blech
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one who thinks that Martin's mother still has money and the villa in Portugal? I think she came back to England for the reading of Christopher's will and found that Martin may have inherited money or property -- maybe even something related to Havenhurst Farm, although I think the entire farm went to Aunt Ruth at Joan Norton's death). She now will try to extract that inheritance from Martin. Since the funeral and the reading of the will was only two weeks ago, the solicitors may not have yet contacted Martin about any sort of an inheritance. Just a plot twist people, just a plot twist.

No, Bloodphobia, I agree, and I had even posted something similar back in part 16. Disgusting how both father and mother have only one use for DM. Beyond crass.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Cruella stealing the clock? Anything is possible. AR gave us the new information that Margaret was a thief when she was a girl. Or maybe when she asks Martin for money, he will hand her the valuable clock and tell her to get lost.

I wish he would tell her to get lost first!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyhow, has anyone wondered whether Margaret E. was telling the truth when she said that she and his father had gotten back together? She said it very fast and it made me wonder if she was fibbing.:confused:

Yes, I have been wondering the same thing! Can't put anything past Creepy Mum.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Next series starts with Aunt Ruth's funeral. :cry:

Well then, that would be a repeat of S5E2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Don't they say you should never give a clock or a watch as a gift to someone you are in a relationship with because it's a sign that time is running out? Which it literally is since we're down to the last episode. :)

There will be no killing off of Lousia! If this whole series has been about Doc hitting rock bottom so that he could rise from his ashes, it would all be pointless if Louisa were gone. I can't see that there would be any rising (of any kind ;) ) in his future without the love of his life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I found myself snapping at a rubber band on my wrist today as I was talking to a somewhat annoying co-worker. It actually kind of helped take my mind off the fact that I was talking to an idiot. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next series starts with Aunt Ruth's funeral. :cry:

Mrs T was a little wobbly, so if she stops taking her meds she could go, too.
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Well then, that would be a repeat of S5E2.

Well, that's probably true, Zarwen. Besides, if for some reason Eileen Atkins isn't able to return in 2 years, they could always just have the character return to London. She is getting on up there in age, but, wow, she's about to do a play in New York! I want to be Eileen Atkins when I'm in my 80's. What an amazing woman!

I wonder about Mrs. T's wobbliness too, dcdmfan. She was hilarious, once again, and I get that the rotating camera was meant to signify that she was falling for the Doc all over again and that being that close to him made her almost dizzy, and, nevermind, I just answered my own question.

Signed,

Rosanne Rosannadanna
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CopperHill wrote: »
    I found myself snapping at a rubber band on my wrist today as I was talking to a somewhat annoying co-worker. It actually kind of helped take my mind off the fact that I was talking to an idiot. :p

That's a good idea, CopperHill. I've been getting extremely frustrated with the changes going on at work lately and have come home with headaches and anger. I should try the rubber band thing. I can see myself now in a meeting snap, snap, snapping a rubber band. My wrist will be raw!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And to Shop Girl:
    That clock belonged to DM's grandfather (S5 E6) and was found in the trunk at Joan's along with those sad pictures of him as a little boy. And DM seemed to treasure it, and it was his grandfather who gave him something to dissect when he was 5 as well. So not Joan's sort of.

Anyhow, has anyone wondered whether Margaret E. was telling the truth when she said that she and his father had gotten back together? She said it very fast and it made me wonder if she was fibbing.:confused:

I guess the old clock reminded Martin of two people he cared for greatly, his grandfather and Auntie Joan. I figure she inherited it and had it in her house for many years, but eventually it stopped working so she put it in storage.

Regarding Margaret's statement that she and Martin's dad got back together, I didn't necessarily believe it either. Margaret is a lying, thieving (we now know, thanks to Ruth), cruel monster. In fact, Ruth's use of the term, "monster", gave me chills. I wonder what else Ruth knows that we don't yet know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They might kill Mrs T or Aunt Ruth. I always fear they are going to kill Louisa but after the headline in a newspaper said
    "Will Louisa die?" I began to rest easy.

Aunt Ruth enlightens Martin and gives him the strength to face his demons and then has a heart attack in her home. Martin doesn't know this as he saving Louisa at the airport. Next series starts with Aunt Ruth's funeral. :cry:

Mrs T was a little wobbly, so if she stops taking her meds she could go, too.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't they say you should never give a clock or a watch as a gift to someone you are in a relationship with because it's a sign that time is running out? Which it literally is since we're down to the last episode. :)

There will be no killing off of Lousia! If this whole series has been about Doc hitting rock bottom so that he could rise from his ashes, it would all be pointless if Louisa were gone. I can't see that there would be any rising (of any kind ;) ) in his future without the love of his life.

In the great still lives from centuries past, they often had clocks, among the grapes and other bounty, to remind us of our mortality. When I taught art I sometimes made an assignment of doing a still life as a self-portrait.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the old clock reminded Martin of two people he cared for greatly, his grandfather and Auntie Joan. I figure she inherited it and had it in her house for many years, but eventually it stopped working so she put it in storage.

Regarding Margaret's statement that she and Martin's dad got back together, I didn't necessarily believe it either. Margaret is a lying, thieving (we now know, thanks to Ruth), cruel monster. In fact, Ruth's use of the term, "monster", gave me chills. I wonder what else Ruth knows that we don't yet know.
    The other thing we know is that Martin asked his Mom how his Dad could have voiced regrets if he had a major stroke. I don't know if that's to check the veracity of her actually being there at his bedside at the end or whether he is checking that how could she know his Dad had regrets just because he wouldn't have been able to talk....so who knows if they were together..somehow it seems doubtful either way...maybe he'll throw water on her and she'll melt
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    The other thing we know is that Martin asked his Mom how his Dad could have voiced regrets if he had a major stroke. I don't know if that's to check the veracity of her actually being there at his bedside at the end or whether he is checking that how could she know his Dad had regrets just because he wouldn't have been able to talk....so who knows if they were together..somehow it seems doubtful either way...maybe he'll throw water on her and she'll melt

No kidding. I'm actually starting to see in S6 that it's really a miracle that Martin even grew into a functioning adult. There are others here who know much more than me about the damage, but, as for me, that conversation between Ruth and Margaret was stunning and informative. A wow moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member

HA!:)
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ok, we officially have a new therapy to help us! Must remember to take a new heavy duty rubber band when I go to dinner Thursday night. Don't ask........
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Do we know for certain if Martin's father died? I know the mother said he had a funeral but we only have her word for that. This could this be a cruel plot by his mother along the lines of, 'well he was dead to me' but it could also be something else.

For example, his dad could have faked his own death for an insurance swindle: much like the real-life UK 'canoe man'.

DM's parents were on their 'uppers' last time they went to Portwenn and Martin gave his father money from the sale of his London flat so the father wouldn't go after his share of Joan's farm, Maybe another business deal has failed and he needs money again and his mother reappearing, seemingly vulnerable and alone, is a way to extract more money from Martin using emotional levers?

On another note, was there an explanation why Joan didn't leave the farm to Martin? Aunt Ruth was never mentioned pre-Joan's death as far as I can remember. I know Joan didn't know about Martin's kindness but as he lives in the village and Joan loved him, I would have thought he was the logical choice of beneficiary, rather than a little-referred-to sibling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know Joan didn't know about Martin's kindness but as he lives in the village and Joan loved him, I would have thought he was the logical choice of beneficiary, rather than a little-referred-to sibling.

Joan DID know about Martin's kindness. Although Martin specifically told his father ' Don't tell Joan ' a solicitor informed her at the time he stepped in. Joan thanked Martin for his generosity.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Joan DID know about Martin's kindness. Although Martin specifically told his father ' Don't tell Joan ' a solicitor informed her at the time he stepped in. Joan thanked Martin for his generosity.

Thanks for that. Must have missed it as I remember DM specifically saying to his father not to tell Joan because 'She was family': making it very clear that he thought his father wasn't! Makes it all the more strange then why Joan didn't will the farm to Martin straight away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok, we officially have a new therapy to help us! Must remember to take a new heavy duty rubber band when I go to dinner Thursday night. Don't ask........

:):) (and good luck with that!) :):)
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the great still lives from centuries past, they often had clocks, among the grapes and other bounty, to remind us of our mortality. When I taught art I sometimes made an assignment of doing a still life as a self-portrait.

Do you all know that there is now a watch that purports to tick off the seconds and minutes until your own personal mortality? Just enter a few handy vital statistics, it makes a calculation, and voila, your own personal memento mori.

No thanks -- even if they gave them away, which they definitely do not!
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. Must have missed it as I remember DM specifically saying to his father not to tell Joan because 'She was family': making it very clear that he thought his father wasn't! Makes it all the more strange then why Joan didn't will the farm to Martin straight away.

Well, maybe like most of us, she thought she had more time, and didn't get to the solicitors to change her will. Unfair on Martin, but I'm sure Aunt Ruth will remedy that, ultimately.

She needed a watch, see above. :).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We ARE in the parallel universe that is Portwenn, remember

All things are possible

And they had to get Aunt Ruth in somehow

Have faith ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should try the rubber band thing. I can see myself now in a meeting snap, snap, snapping a rubber band. My wrist will be raw!

Maybe an idea for the online gift shop...?

However

Here in the UK you only need to follow a postie around on their route; lots of discarded free red rubber bands as they split their bundles of mail.

How many of us will be snapping during the final espisode of this series ?

Maybe we should make a block appt to see The Doc with our poor, raw wrists...You know how understanding he is...

:cry:
This discussion has been closed.