Options

The Night of the Doctor Minisode on BBC1 tomorrow? (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Hell, stick them on BBC2 if you are that worried about confusing a younger audience - Call the show The Doctor or TARDIS Tales if you want to make it clear that it is a seperate programme.
    "TARDIS Tales", now that brings back memories.
    Doctor Who Weekly (now Doctor Who Magazine) used to reprint old sci-fi stories from Marvel comics under that title!
    (Showing my age a bit here!)
    :D
  • Options
    classicsforeverclassicsforever Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    doesn't this give a bit too much away though? We now know that the 8th doctor didn't regenerate into the Eccleston doctor. it also helps solve a mystery around the John Hurt doctor showing us how the 8th doctor realised his way of doing things wasn't going to stop the Time War so on with the warrior mode.
  • Options
    paul_jtpaul_jt Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I think the name "War Doctor" is a misnomer, anyway. He was "the Doctor" and now he's "the Warrior". He isn't any kind of Doctor. The whole point was that he couldn't be a Doctor for what he had to do and the other incarnations don't consider him to be the Doctor, at all.
    That final credit was the only thing that wasn't great. "Time War Doctor" would have been a more specific description. Why the curious change from "The Doctor", in The Name of the Doctor, to "The War Doctor", in The Night of the Doctor? I wouldn't have changed it.

A wonderful performance, stylised look and a mention of Big Finish companions. It all fitted perfectly. Well done and thank you to McGann, Moffat and everyone involved.
  • Options
    Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    I think what has really excited people about the McGann scene is that for all intents and purposes this was like a brand new Doctor on TV. And he is absolutely excellent, bringing back certain qualities to the role that newer Doctors haven't always had lately (elements of maturity, sobriety, sincerity, authority and antiquity). Then there are those of us who basically didn't have much Doctor Who to watch in the 90s so we ended up watching McGann's episode a lot. So everyone has been yearning to see McGann as the Doctor again and presumably everyone was just punching the air when he walked in :)

That excitement you get when a Doctor regenerates and a new face appears, we got that twice in 5 minutes… and again at Christmas! (And possibly inbetween then too!)

I am giddy. It's too much to handle! :)

Remember when Who first returned in 2005 and there was this kind of feeling that a line had been drawn between the old and new series? It wasn't exactly a re-boot, but it kind of felt like one, and at times there was a sense of "let's forget about the embarrassing old series". Fans often wondered if Old Who would ever be referenced. Then when we started getting solid references to Old Who in episodes like School Reunion, Human Nature and The Next Doctor and it was really satisfying to see the old linked with the new.

But now Moffat is going beyond merely acknowledging Old Who as canon, he's actually saying Old Who is important, that the last 50 years are all part of one big story, and he's even filling in crucial missing gaps. He's bringing the history of Doctor Who all together in the ultimate tribute to itself. I am just so happy about that :)
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was wonderful, though what I wouldn't give for McGann to be the Doctor full time for a few years. He's adorable. Very pleased we got even this Minisode though - lovely.
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Remember when Who first returned in 2005 and there was this kind of feeling that a line had been drawn between the old and new series? It wasn't exactly a re-boot, but it kind of felt like one, and at times there was a sense of "let's forget about the embarrassing old series". Fans often wondered if Old Who would ever be referenced. Then when we started getting solid references to Old Who in episodes like School Reunion, Human Nature and The Next Doctor and it was really satisfying to see the old linked with the new.

Human Nature / Family of Blood was adapted from the Virgin novel Human Nature (where it is the 7th Doctor). The author did the adaptation himself. That really messes up what is and isn't canon!
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    Human Nature / Family of Blood was adapted from the Virgin novel Human Nature (where it is the 7th Doctor). The author did the adaptation himself. That really messes up what is and isn't canon!

And "Dalek" was based on a Big Finish audio called Jubille. Also adapted by the original author!
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally did not expect to see this today so that was an amazing surprise. Moffat must be sittinng back in a big swivel chair cacklling like an evil maniac at this underhandedness of this minisode. Like your dad at Christmas watching the kids open their presents only to see the look on their faces as they see it is that one present they have always wanted.
    He is a sneaky Evil Scot but you gotta love him. :D
  • Options
    billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like everyone else I enjoyed Paul Mcgann's appearance a lot. Not really sure why he couldn't have been part of the episode properly - but perhaps he will be somehow. I would have liked to have seen it in HD and I hope they show it in the best format sometime. I was impressed how he could inhabit the role within a few minutes, but then have not heard the audio plays. It would be great if Eccleston was also part of it, but somehow think it unlikely! Having just seen David Tennant's great performance in Richard ll (albeit in the cinema), I have realised I am really looking forward to seeing him in the Doctor's role again, so it's all good.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    I've never watched McGann play as the Doctor before and I thought he was excellent. He played the role perfectly but at the same time he felt very different. Like an mature and historical Doctor. Now I want more of him.
  • Options
    Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    This is pure speculation (and wishful thinking) but knowing Moffat, I wouldn't be surprised if he gave us one scene with every Doctor together at once (obviously using a lot of special effects). That would not surprise me. He's the kind of man who is that ambitious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    This is pure speculation (and wishful thinking) but knowing Moffat, I wouldn't be surprised if he gave us one scene with every Doctor together at once (obviously using a lot of special effects). That would not surprise me. He's the kind of man who is that ambitious.

I wouldn't have thought so, but now you mention it it seems exactly the kind of thing Moffat would do, but only after he had convinced the vast majority it wasn't going to happen... of course.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not saying that I wasn't absolutely, completely, utterly geeked out over this, but I did feel cheated that the regeneration mostly happened off-screen. A regeneration is a moment. It's unique to Doctor who and something very special, to see one actor whom we've adored transform before our eyes into an unknown quantity. I can't fathom any reason why it was done like this. Even if William Hurt wasn't available for financial reasons, they could have gotten away with it to certain point with it looking great. We have the technology.
    There's a long tradition of half-seen regenerations in Doctor Who:
    Troughton to Pertwee - We only see the first stages.
    Davison to Colin Baker - Obscured by the vortex hallucination.
    Colin Baker to McCoy - We only see the last stages.
    McGann to Hurt - We only see the first stages.

Of the ten regenerations shown so far, four of them don't show the full transformation from one face to the next.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of the ten regenerations shown so far, four of them don't show the full transformation from one face to the next.

And Pertwee to Baker was nothing to shout about, just a simple crossfade.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

wow I had to check my numbers for a min when you said 10 regens so we have had:

1] 1-2
    2] 2-3
    3] 3-4
    4] 4-5
    5] 5-6
    6] 6-7
    7] 7-8
    8] 8-'Hurt' (we dont have a number for him unless they change the numbering)
    9] 9-10
    10] 10-11

and we are still missing:

'Hurt'-9

and we have:

11-12

to come still, so 12 regens altogether.
  • Options
    PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    wow I had to check my numbers for a min when you said 10 regens so we have had:

1] 1-2
    2] 2-3
    3] 3-4
    4] 4-5
    5] 5-6
    6] 6-7
    7] 7-8
    8] 8-'Hurt' (we dont have a number for him unless they change the numbering)
    9] 9-10
    10] 10-11

and we are still missing:

'Hurt'-9

and we have:

11-12

to come still, so 12 regens altogether.

Plus the metacrisis regeneration!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick question:

Since Jubilee was adapted for TV, and Family of Blood also, are there any 8th doc stories that were similarly treated?

If no 8th doc audios made into TV, then it's easier to make 8th doc audio canon.

Or have I misunderstood the situation?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Am watching A Good Man Goes to War on BBC3 and just heard the following;

He's not a warrior. So why is he called the Doctor?

My mind has exploded.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am watching A Good Man Goes to War on BBC3 and just heard the following;

He's not a warrior. So why is he called the Doctor?

My mind has exploded.

BOOM !!! :D
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Palmerwho wrote: »
    Plus the metacrisis regeneration!

does that count as a full regen then?
    If so then yes 13 regens, which is what was originally said to be a time lord's limit, so we will have to see what is said to get round that!
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Hehe! Anyone remember what this DS forum like before The Night of The Doctor appears?
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    BOOM !!! :D
    You are Sophie Aldred and I claim my £5 coin.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are Sophie Aldred and I claim my £5 coin.

However did you reach that conclusion :p
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    does that count as a full regen then?
    If so then yes 13 regens, which is what was originally said to be a time lord's limit, so we will have to see what is said to get round that!

The Limit is/was 12 Regenerations which gives 13 Incarnations.

If the Meta Crisis counts (and I think it should*) then Matt Smith is the 13th Incarnation and Capaldi is from beyond the original limit.

*If I have 12 bottles of Beer and Drink 11 of them then pour the other down the sink I have still used up all 12 bottles even if only 11 were used for their proper purpose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if by regenerating into Hurt with the way it happened in the episode that the Doctors life cycle of regenerations had actually been reset than repaired?.

If so and the Doctor is now in a new life cycle of regenerations (as established as being possible in the original series) then Hurt could be thought as the 1st Doctor, Smith the 4th with Capaldi being the 5th Doctor of a new regeneration cycle?. Think about it, clearly we seen McGann change into a young Hurt, so a very long Time War of say 900 years could be the point where it's picked up with The Day Of The Doctor from Hurts perspective. And for the purists of the original series who were never happy with the Doctors stated age having got younger from 2005 onwards would also solve the age issue as well as having solved the regeneration limit if we can accept the Doctor is now actually in a new life cycle of regenerations. Would fix a couple of conflicts with the established history and facts of the original series if this turns out to be anything like right.