Options

What do you think caused Christina Aguilera's downfall?

Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was looking at her Wikipedia and noticed that her last two albums Bionic & Lotus were humungous flops on her standards.

Her debut, Stripped & Back to Basics all become multi million sellers but her most recent two tanked bigtime, why do you think that was? the music not being to the same standard or what? I personally think Bionic is a terrible album Lotus on the other hand had potential.

Comments

• Options
    ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it began with the rise of Lady Gaga.
    When Christina returned to begin the Bionic campaign she had a blunt platinum blonde fringe which was the style of the newly arrived and hyped up Lady Gaga. Christina instantly drew criticism for copying Gaga and there was a negative view on her new sound and image.
    "Not Myself Tonight" was also criticised for sounding generic, try-hard and desperate. The video, a "homagé" to Madonna, then also drew serious criticism. The campaign was dead in the water. A highly publicised tour was then cancelled.

Lotus is where I get a little confused: it had great commercial but still very Christina songs, the hype of Christina as a judge on The Voice, and a catchy Max Martin lead single but it still bombed.

I think there is an incredibly negative public perception of Christina from interviews and behind the scenes stories. I don't see her as particularly likeable, but she has talent in abundance. Christina Vs Britney is always interesting because most find Britney talentless but likeable and Christina talented but unlikeable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Christina returned to begin the Bionic campaign she had a blunt platinum blonde fringe which was the style of the newly arrived and hyped up Lady Gaga. Christina instantly drew criticism for copying Gaga and there was a negative view on her new sound and image.
    "Not Myself Tonight" was also criticised for sounding generic, try-hard and desperate. The video, a "homagé" to Madonna, then also drew serious criticism. The campaign was dead in the water. A highly publicised tour was then cancelled.

Lotus is where I get a little confused: it had great commercial but still very Christina songs, the hype of Christina as a judge on The Voice, and a catchy Max Martin lead single but it still bombed.

I think there is an incredibly negative public perception of Christina from interviews and behind the scenes stories. I don't see her as particularly likeable, but she has talent in abundance. Christina Vs Britney is always interesting because most find Britney talentless but likeable and Christina talented but unlikeable.

Interesting analysis.

I think Bionic was definetly the wrong sound at the wrong time.
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member

Yeah, I'm the same. There was a lot of hype about Lotus after the Bionic flop, Christina's profile was sky-high because of The Voice but it still didn't take off :confused:
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the Lady Gaga thing. Perez and the hysteria Little Monsters caused was just cyber bullying on a scale I haven't ever seen before and thankfully haven't seen since. Perez encouraged Gaga fans to troll all things Christina and they did. So for the best part of 2010 everything on the net was very anti Christina filled. It just destroyed her. The worst part of it all was Christina having to issue a statement citing she had no beef with Gaga. No artist should ever have to do that.

We will probably never know the full story of what did or didn't happen with Bionic. They are rumours RCA forced her to record more Gaga like songs while the real sound Christina was aiming for got dropped. My opinion is that Bionic wasn't good enough. Christina created a pop masterpiece with Stripped and Back To Basics was a cool concept of a record. Bionic was a mess in comparison.

Lotus flopped because by the time it was released she had no active fanbase anymore. She was also not appealing to new fans. I don't know where she goes from here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the Lady Gaga thing. Perez and the hysteria Little Monsters caused was just cyber bullying on a scale I haven't ever seen before and thankfully haven't seen since. Perez encouraged Gaga fans to troll all things Christina and they did. So for the best part of 2010 everything on the net was very anti Christina filled. It just destroyed her. The worst part of it all was Christina having to issue a statement citing she had no beef with Gaga. No artist should ever have to do that.

We will probably never know the full story of what did or didn't happen with Bionic. They are rumours RCA forced her to record more Gaga like songs while the real sound Christina was aiming for got dropped. My opinion is that Bionic wasn't good enough. Christina created a pop masterpiece with Stripped and Back To Basics was a cool concept of a record. Bionic was a mess in comparison.

I cannot bear that guy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite an embarrassing record for her to have Bionic go from Number 1 in its first week to number 29 in its second in the UK.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was she ever that great?! She has a good voice, but apart from Stripped which was a really good pop album, she's came out with nothing worth writing home about.
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Perez was just such a bully. The ironic thing is that he was so pro Gaga and bullied Christina in 2010, yet three years later it was a total reverse situation and he was trying to destroy Gaga and took part in this whole #BuyBionic campaign when ARTPOP was released. The brilliant thing was when Gaga and Christina duetted on The Voice. Kinda shut him up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was she ever that great?! She has a good voice, but apart from Stripped which was a really good pop album, she's came out with nothing worth writing home about.

I think her debut was patchy but had some great late 90s singles that have stood the test of time especially Genie in a Bottle & I Turn to You.

Stripped is just well flawless. Such a representation of 2003 pop.

Back to Basics I was never sure about, it was a strange direction for her to go in after Stripped but its an ok album I suppose. Candyman was a great song.

Bionic was just a tragedy really.

Lotus was like her debut patchy in places but some really good underrated songs that deserved recognition.

Moves Like Jagger is still an anthem.

I never listened to her Spanish & Christmas albums.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,634
    Forum Member
    The whole Bionic era was a huge flop. It's a wonder the album even made it to #1 in the first place in the UK. Not Myself Tonight was a poor single choice, and pretty much cursed the album from the off after the lead single bombed.

Despite all that, Christina has ended up scoring three massive worldwide hits as a featured artist (Moves Like Jagger, Feel This Moment, Say Something) and the beauty of these three songs is that it's reinforced how extraordinary a singer she is. I particularly love her vocals on Say Something even if the song itself is a bit twee.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I think that it's a combination of many things! I remember thinking how well taking time out between albums worked for her, being able to come back with totally different looks & sounds set her aside from her rivals. But the industry has changed allot in the last 8 years or so & artists now need to stay constantly relevant & Christina hasn't changed to reflect this!
    The fact that Bionic went to no.1 here shows that up till that point Christina still had a fan base but the whole Perez hate campaign in 2010 massively hurt her. As much as I love Bionic the constant Gaga comparisons made it look like she was chasing someone else's image which spread accross the internet & stuck!
    Her consistently strong collaborations show she still has massive potential but you need to be prepared to work for it & that means traveling around the world to promote an album, something Christina has been reluctant to do since starting a family.

I think of today's big popstar as 'super popstars' they fire on all cylinders, they relentlessly release material, utilise social media to the full extent & consistently travel around the world promoting their brand! If Christina was willing to do this she could easily put out a successful album!
  • Options
    sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious as to why she does better as a featured artist on songs like pitbull feel the moment and that new song she's featured on I also think bionic was not that great.
    except for a few songs you lost me is amazing maybe if she'd done stripped part 2 would have been better she also made it clear she couldn't be bothered to promote lotus even though it's not a bad album don't know what the answer is.
    maybe a new manager and lots of apperances in uk & Europe to promote new songs.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Perez didn't help he was the spark that fanned the flames and she just never recovered. Bionic is a great album and gets such a hard time, bad single choices, luke warm reception ended it. Lotus well it's a naff album and if she wanted a strong comeback should have come back with a much stronger album. A year earlier Britney had released Femme Fatale a similar sound but nailed it in a way Lotus failed to do.

She is lost at sea at the moment with no obvious sound or no real interest. all she seems able to sell are collaborations.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem is that she peaked with the Stripped era and didn't try to sustain that high in her career. She went on a downward trajectory from there and the Perez/Gaga drama just sped up her decline.

She arguably doesn't add much to her features and I don't know how much of a fanbase she has left compared to her contemporaries. She's in a difficult place, but anything can happen in this industry. She has talent on her side. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Well Perez didn't help he was the spark that fanned the flames and she just never recovered. Bionic is a great album and gets such a hard time, bad single choices, luke warm reception ended it. Lotus well it's a naff album and if she wanted a strong comeback should have come back with a much stronger album. A year earlier Britney had released Femme Fatale a similar sound but nailed it in a way Lotus failed to do.

She is lost at sea at the moment with no obvious sound or no real interest. all she seems able to sell are collaborations.

I've given it many chances & listens and it really isn't.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets not forget that getting fat did her career no favours either. She unfairly became a figure of ridicule as her weight ballooned.
    She looks great now though.
  • Options
    cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately she always has and always will be compared to Britney. No doubt she is the more talented vocalist but Britney has always had the better material. I think this is where the main problem lies. Britney is always looking for something a bit different, she prefers to set the trends rather than follow them which I think Christina has been guilty of post Candyman. Hence the comparisons to Gaga, Madonna etc. On a personal level, I do think she comes across as a bit arrogant when she is being interviewed which means I don't warm to her. Since Candyman, the only Christina songs I like are when she is a featured artist. She just hasn't got the ear for a hit song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have LOVED to have heard the original BIONIC album...the one which was rumoured to have been released late 2009...but was shaken up due to Burlesque filming and then re-recording to appear "mainstream".

Her tracks that made it that she worked with MIA, Le Tigre, Ladytron, Sia, Linda Perry on sound top notch and so surreal and trippy and eprsonal and cool...i truly feel had she really immersed herself with that Indie Pop/Electronica scope she would have hit it bigger and she would have the sonic answer to Back To Basics :). But alas it didnt happen and we only got a third of what the album could have been :/.

My fave CHristina album however is Back To Basics...i mean it was so different and fresh and stylistically brilliant all round...Disc 2 is an artform and disc 1 really paid tribute to her influences and inspirations. such a shame her label didnt allow her to unleash the material she wanted for Bionic :/...Lotus i feel was designed to be commercial but the label didnt promote her worldwide and thus it underperformed even in the UK!

I think she has it in her to have a new peak with her talent and her ideas...i just wished her label had more faith in her as we need more riskier sounds in pop music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately she always has and always will be compared to Britney. No doubt she is the more talented vocalist but Britney has always had the better material. I think this is where the main problem lies. Britney is always looking for something a bit different, she prefers to set the trends rather than follow them which I think Christina has been guilty of post Candyman. Hence the comparisons to Gaga, Madonna etc. On a personal level, I do think she comes across as a bit arrogant when she is being interviewed which means I don't warm to her. Since Candyman, the only Christina songs I like are when she is a featured artist. She just hasn't got the ear for a hit song.

Imo Stripped blows away any album Britney ever put out there.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bionic is tied with Stripped for me. The ballads are just gorgeous.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    did anyone care about perez though in wider internet circles, even back then? of course, his negative influence certainly didn't help matters, but that look and that sound in that moment when gaga was blowing up was extremely bad timing, plus the music on "bionic" wasn't her best.

"lotus" was an improvement, but she needs another album to the standard of "stripped" to really reignite interest. she's done pretty well in terms of keeping herself relevant by featuring on big hit singles in recent years though.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact she isn't a very nice person behind the scenes I reckon hasn't helped her. The Wanted, Pink, Scott Scorch and Mary J Blige have all openly spoke out about what she is like. Mary J Blige never talks bad about anyone, so the fact she spoke out bad about her says a lot. She is a bitchy, self centred and arrogant lady by the sounds of it. She isn't approachable. If i saw her in the street, i wouldn't dare ask for an autograph, because of it.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact she isn't a very nice person behind the scenes I reckon hasn't helped her. The Wanted, Pink, Scott Scorch and Mary J Blige have all openly spoke out about what she is like. Mary J Blige never talks bad about anyone, so the fact she spoke out bad about her says a lot. She is a bitchy, self centred and arrogant lady by the sounds of it. She isn't approachable. If i saw her in the street, i wouldn't dare ask for an autograph, because of it.

Also, i do feel she will always be pressured to deliver another stripped, which i am glad she hasn't. Why be desperate and revert back to what you have done before? Do what you want to do. However Lotus was a terrible album. Will go as far as rating it one of the worst pop albums my ears have ever heard.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I've tried to listen to Lotus a number of times and I can't get through it. Love the album title, but I really don't like the album.

Bionic on the other hand is an album that I listen to quite a lot. There are some good songs and I listen to it a lot in the summer. My favourites tracks from Bionic include

Bionic
    Monday Morning
    Birds Of Prey
    Elastic Love
  • Options
    Judas82Judas82 Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Christina Aguilera.