why is Melanie Healy/Owen from EEs so unmemorable

Comments

• BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel was a VERY popular character. Since she hasn't been on the show since 2002, people seem to have selective memories about her contribution to the programme.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good character at the time but in the grand scheme she didn't leave a big mark.

No lasting connections apart from a Christmas shag with Phil.

Her associations (Lisa, Steve, Dan etc) were more memorable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beaconboof wrote: »
    Mel was a VERY popular character. Since she hasn't been on the show since 2002, people seem to have selective memories about her contribution to the programme.

I remember Mel from when I first started watching EE (around 1998/99) and have always been a fan. I think Tamzin is a great actress.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she brought EE into the 21st century, big time. She was a fiercely contemporary character, she was strong, independent, had depth, wit, cool reserve and a ton of smarts. If not for Mel, would there be a Ronnie? Who knows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she brought EE into the 21st century, big time. She was a fiercely contemporary character, she was strong, independent, had depth, wit, cool reserve and a ton of smarts. If not for Mel, would there be a Ronnie? Who knows.

Yes, because they're very different characters. Apart from being blonde and played by good actresses they have nothing else in common.
  • bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    She's a strong part of EE history, more so than recent characters who were around for a similar length of time.

But she didn't really have a legacy to leave behind, the only time she is referenced is when they make jokes about Ian's many wives, and even then she is just referenced as part of the collective.

There are no other characters to mention her so she slips under the radar.
  • KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel and Ronnie couldn't be anymore different.

They have absolutely nothing in common.

ETA - Like I've said in other Mel threads, Mel never made enough impact in her role and was defined by her love interests. Memorable character, popular in her time and likable but not a soap icon. The likes of Ronnie, Stacey, Kat eclipsed her in so many ways.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    Mel and Ronnie couldn't be anymore different.

They have absolutely nothing in common.

I disagree. They are both sexy blondes oozing class and yet have scrappy street smarts. Love them!
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    I think she is still considered to be a pretty big character, but because we've had the likes of Kat, Stacey and Ronnie since her arrival, she falls back a little bit.
  • KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. They are both sexy blondes oozing class and yet have scrappy street smarts. Love them!
    That's it though. Physcial appearence. I'll agree that were both attractive females in thier 30's but that's about it.

Ronnie never needed Mel to exist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    I think she is still considered to be a pretty big character, but because we've had the likes of Kat, Stacey and Ronnie since her arrival, she falls back a little bit.

But that makes Mel all the more compelling to me. We need those subtle characters. Characters like Kat and Ronnie are painted with large strokes, whereas Mel was much more of a subtle creation who, though she may not have been as showy, was just as effective as her peers in small but startling ways. Tamzin Outhwaite really did make EE worth watching back then.
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for me she is memorable. I cried at the scene other have spoken about, after Steve's dies also I loved the kidnap plot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for me she is memorable. I cried at the scene other have spoken about, after Steve's dies also I loved the kidnap plot.

Good to see another Mel fan on the board! :)
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was a great character and involved in lots of big stories but she has no links or ties to Walford now at all so she is never going to be remembered by anyone on the show.
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see another Mel fan on the board! :)

For me, when Mel was on the show until about 2002, was EastEnders golden era.
    dazza89 wrote: »
    She was a great character and involved in lots of big stories but she has no links or ties to Walford now at all so she is never going to be remembered by anyone on the show.

There's always Phil and the fact the square was the last place her sons father lived. She got loads of happy memories there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy's death could bring Mel back to the Square, if only for a visit. She loved Ian's kids.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a damn shame they killed off Steve Owen because he and Mel would be a formidable force in Walford if they returned together!
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Tamzin Outhwaite was a good enough actress but they never really knew what they were doing with her character. The way she went from backstreet barmaid to Mary Poppins for Ian kids and then to gun-toting sub-gangster was getting dangerously close to Lindsay Corkhill territory.
  • dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel Healy is just one of those characters that sticks out my mind. I was 10 or 11 when she left but for me, she was one of the key players in the show at the time. I remember her leaving Ian on the Millennium, burning down E20, sleeping with Phil, crying in the rain after Steve's death and even her low key exit - "Pick a number from 1-20".

Mel was a great character and Outhwaite a bloody fine actress. The character was quite the icon at the time and it's a shame she's not better remembered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because although quite highly regarded she was never given anything to do in the sense that she was always involved in other people's drama and most of the key people she was opposite have long since left and it's kind of spoiled her place in the show's history.

Steve Owen will be remembered, Lisa to a degree but Mel was still left as an isolated character who was simply involved in their stuff leaving her in a limbo.

In fact my biggest memory of her was when Tamzin Outhwaite was "shot" on SM:TV Live whilst promoting the Who Shot Phil? story and her and other members of the cast were being badgered for details. :D
  • dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    It's because although quite highly regarded she was never given anything to do in the sense that she was always involved in other people's drama and most of the key people she was opposite have long since left and it's kind of spoiled her place in the show's history.

Steve Owen will be remembered, Lisa to a degree but Mel was still left as an isolated character who was simply involved in their stuff leaving her in a limbo.

In fact my biggest memory of her was when Tamzin Outhwaite was "shot" on SM:TV Live whilst promoting the Who Shot Phil? story and her and other members of the cast were being badgered for details. :D

I guess they had the opportunity to give Mel exposure and a "place in history" had she potentially stayed on the show only to miscarry her baby. As Outhwaite wanted to leave, there is no reason she couldn't have after that storyline, she'd have been in the show another 12 months at most but I think it really would have elevated her character.

I also think it would have been a better route for the character as if she was ever to return, she is most likely to return with a child in tow that just wouldn't have suited a character like Mel, much like Ronnie in that sense.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I think she was pretty memorable and her departure wasn't that low key at the time in that it garnered a lot of publicity and people didn't know what she was going to do and the long term consequences as she knew the truth about Lisa shooting Phil and was threatening to blow the whole thing apart due to wanting revenge. She may not have threads every other day about coming back but I think if you were to ask the average person who was watching at the time they'd remember her. As stated in the OP she is part of some very well known storylines and images - the relationship with Steve, the Saskia murder, Who Shot Phil and her jilting Ian on Millennium Eve is a fairly (ooh I hate this word) iconic image and doof, doof for the show.

She was the principal leading lady for 3 years - bridging the gap between Tiffany and the Slater domination.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was a brilliant character, but she never really got the storylines she deserved. They all seemed to revolve around her disastrous love live, when they could have taken the character down other routes.

I enjoyed her relationship with Steve Owen, though ultimately it didn't go anywhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    Mel Healy is just one of those characters that sticks out my mind. I was 10 or 11 when she left but for me, she was one of the key players in the show at the time. I remember her leaving Ian on the Millennium, burning down E20, sleeping with Phil, crying in the rain after Steve's death and even her low key exit - "Pick a number from 1-20".

Mel was a great character and Outhwaite a bloody fine actress. The character was quite the icon at the time and it's a shame she's not better remembered.

I agree with you but I think a lot of people remember Mel very well, it's just she's not your typical flashy EE character or caricature. If people think about it deeply, she was actually much more of a force in Albert Square than they initially remember.
    A particular scene I remember fondly from Mel is Pauline confronting her in the Vic toilet, refusing to believe Ian fabricated Lucy's cancer. Pauline went in for her - "You're nothing but a lying little ****!" and slapped Mel across the face!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let us not forget that Tamzin Outhwaite as Mel is the character that brought EE into the 21st century. Walking out on Ian at the stroke of midnight hours after their wedding was a truly iconic moment and a fantastic follow-up to Tiffany's death! The way she delivered the line "I don't love you Ian--- and I NEVER HAVE" was the perfect example of character driven soap opera and the stunning payoffs that come from it. I remember being shocked, way more than I ever was by Kat/Zoe reveal which was so overdone and contrived by hysteria. Whoever said that Tamzin was the bridge between Martine McCutcheon and Jessie Wallace eras on the show hit the nail on the head.