Options

Tory posh boys bully northeastern female MP's because of their accents.

onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
Forum Member
Do these rancid Tories not realise this is the 21st century? Some of them are still in the 19th. http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/tories-bullying-north-women-mps-6714274

Comments

• Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    If these women came through the rough tough world of north east Labour politics a few toffs wouldn't scare them. So let's not get out the violins as they will be tough cookies.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tories exposed again.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Tory posh boys'. Oh dear oh dear Jol, you've really got it bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    'Tory posh boys'. Oh dear oh dear Jol, you've really got it bad.

You need to make yourself aware of who started the thread and who you're quoting.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    This would annoy me, whether male or female, I have always found those with a stronger dialect have more grit and character in politics. People may not like Eirc Pickles but he has the above as does Bridget Phillipson from Labour. Silly as it sounds but I think people embracing their heritage adds character to what is otherwise a very bland front bench from both sides of the house.

My accent has softened somewhat since I moved from Sunderland 9 years ago, however when I get home it sharp falls back into plce :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »
    This would annoy me, whether male or female, I have always found those with a stronger dialect have more grit and character in politics. People may not like Eirc Pickles but he has the above as does Bridget Phillipson from Labour. Silly as it sounds but I think people embracing their heritage adds character to what is otherwise a very bland front bench from both sides of the house.

My accent has softened somewhat since I moved from Sunderland 9 years ago, however when I get home it sharp falls back into plce :p

I agree with that. I think this attitude reflects badly on the essential beliefs of many Tories really. Unless you wear the old school tie,speak with the right accent and know the "right" people you have no right taking part in the political life of the UK.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably Pickles and Hague are at the forefront.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP I think you would have been better going with the headline from the newspaper.

By adding the word posh, you have done exactly what the Tories are being accused of; persecuting someone because of their background. Are you being deliberately ironic, or can't you see the hypocrisy?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Nobody sees any irony with claiming prejudicial treatment of some people because of their accents...

...whilst at the same time calling them tory posh boys?

overt prejudice in the process of alleging prejudice.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember the Labour MPs who mocked Conservative MP Paul Maynard for his speech defect?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1354147/Labour-MPs-mocked-disabled-Tory-Paul-Maynard-like-hyenas-going-kill.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    'class prejudice from those toffs.' lulz
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it any wonder voter turnout is at an all time low?

These idiots need to grow up.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Remember the Labour MPs who mocked Conservative MP Paul Maynard for his speech defect?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1354147/Labour-MPs-mocked-disabled-Tory-Paul-Maynard-like-hyenas-going-kill.html

Well that makes it OK then
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    You need to make yourself aware of who started the thread and who you're quoting.

In fairness to that poster you are interchangeable.

Anyway, back on topic. EVIL TORIES!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Well that makes it OK then

No, of course if doesn't make it OK. What is does mean is that people shouldn't hold up one party as being paragons of virtue and call the other lot evil. The reality is that there are idiots on all sides.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair though, some of those accents are pretty comedic.

(and some are sexy)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    Do these rancid Tories not realise this is the 21st century? Some of them are still in the 19th.

The rancid Tories belong in a different age. It's time to send these dinosaurs into extinction.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    T'is a two-way street. I get teased mercilessly for my perceived "posh accent" . The lads at Charlton all call me Downton.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    OP I think you would have been better going with the headline from the newspaper.

By adding the word posh, you have done exactly what the Tories are being accused of; persecuting someone because of their background. Are you being deliberately ironic, or can't you see the hypocrisy?

Good manners cost nothing. Were these posh Tories not educated to understand this at their expensive public schools?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good manners cost nothing. Were these posh Tories not educated to understand this at their expensive public schools?

So your answer is, "can't see the hypocrisy" then, okay thanks, never mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    z
    Staunchy wrote: »
    So your answer is, "can't see the hypocrisy" then, okay thanks, never mind.

Deflection from the indefensible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    z

it may be indefensible but it is also exactly what you are doing.

i have no time for prejudice.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    z

Calling people rancid because you perceive them to be of a different social class is at best puerile and at worst indefensibly bigoted.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The source of one's education doesn't guarantee good manners, a fact which is amply displayed every day of the week and as you say they cost nothing so the cost of the source is irrelevant. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    z

There's the most overused word in the DS politics section again.

The Tory MPs are acting wrongly but in your haste to highlight this you are doing exactly the same thing.

Would you describe your behaviour as indefensible too? ;-)