✭✭✭
    is Battersea in London?

:rolleyes:

Why the rolled eyes?
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember it..........i went when it opened in i think 1951 it opened at the same time as the festival of Britian. In those days it was wonderful, but now with all the theme parks you can visit, it just wouldnt work.
  • Options
    MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    I bunked off school with two friends (c.1968 :o) and we went for a day out at the funfair. The highspot of our day was putting money in a lucky dip 'machine', only to discover that the 'machine' was actually manned by a (rather tasty as I recall) young man who sat inside it for hours on end! We had huge fun that day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where was the funfair looking at the park today?
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Battersea zoo still exist, with all those cute farm animals, wallabies and meerkats? :)

Haven't been since '98.

Yes the childrens Zoo is still there it nearly closed a few years ago and they started selling the animals but Wandsworth Council had a change of heart after a petition - in fact I was thinking of going over the weekend I live in Clapham
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use to love Battersea fun fair & remember going on the watershute
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I think it was towards the west end. Figure it out from this aerial shot:

http://www.parkexplorer.org.uk/images/activities/wnd04_map.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bunked off school with two friends (c.1968 :o) and we went for a day out at the funfair. The highspot of our day was putting money in a lucky dip 'machine', only to discover that the 'machine' was actually manned by a (rather tasty as I recall) young man who sat inside it for hours on end! We had huge fun that day.

We realised that there was a person, in these as well, and used to push the flap open and shout in, then run away., well when your 9 its funny anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porke1 wrote: »
    i worked there in 1973 and 74 the year it closed, am currently trying to find and contact any one who worked there in the 1970.s you were obviously very familiar with the layout of the funfair rob, did you work there !

Was there Helta Skelta there? I just about remember being petrified going on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone remeber the "Fish" clock ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Hi all

I used to live in Battersea in Elsley Road until 1976 and have great memories too of the park; my local playground. The tree walk was really unique and I always felt sad when they eventually closed it; I believe it was transferred to Caister Castle back in the eighties. (I'd love to know if it's still there as I visited the area around that period but it had restricted opening times in May I seem to recall).

You can go back down memory lane here to view the awesome tree walk; http://newscdn.bbc.net.uk/local/london/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8269000/8269406.stm

I remember things like illuminated owls amongst the treetops; really magical when you were a child.

As for the famous Big Dipper, I remember my Mum saying how she thought it was dangerous and forbid me to go on it. Luckily I adhered to her wishes and never forget her pointing out the "stop press" on the back of the newspaper that fateful day of the accident when we were ironically at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. We did, however, ride the Water Chute which I loved; didn't realise for years after though that the structure was rebuilt at Margate's Dreamland Park around 1977 when I moved to Kent. The wooden structure had to be rebuilt in steel however owing to previous apparent fire damage. Strangely now though, after Battersea's ill-fated incident I now love roller coasters and really enjoy travelling to every theme park I can venture to!

Martin Porter
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Googlemaps -- between North Carriage Drive and the white building.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh my goodness! The boating lake with the ship-like ticket office. The pyramid-shaped fountains with the curly bits on top. Significant parts of my memory have just been reactivated, thank you so much!

In answer to another, no didn't work there but lived near-ish.

My mum wouldn't allow me to visit the amusement arcade near the Guinness Clock, which of course made it all the more attractive.

Oh and the open-air concert hall with free shows for kids on summer afternoons, wow.
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived in Queens town Rd between 1960-1966 I remember going to the fun fair with my parents and who can't forget the Easter Parades?

And being chased by the Park keeper for walking on the grass :D

GPW (Hancock)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Battersea Fun Fair - from the BBC newsreel 1951

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/bankholidays/7124.shtml
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just about remember it, in particular the Guinness Clock. Our nan lived in Battersea, so we went to the fair when we visited her
  • Options
    flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hancock wrote: »
    I remember the tree walk in Battersea Park, I bet Health and Safety would have a field day, if that was still in place!

You've just solved a big mystery for me. I remember going to Battersea Fun Fair as a child. We lived in Peckham so wasn't that far away. I have memories of coming down a tall open spiral staircase from somewhere up high after coming along walkways. Guess that was the Treewalk. I have always wondered about it and know I didn't imagine it. I'm glad to finally know after all these years that there really was a place high up and the stairs were real:D
  • Options
    Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hancock wrote: »
    I remember the tree walk in Battersea Park, I bet Health and Safety would have a field day, if that was still in place!

I'm not so sure - I remember the tree walk, and I was reminded of it this year when I visited Kew Gardens and found they have one very much like it.
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember going there after watching the Easter Parade in 1967.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star Gala - Battersea Park, London 1962 & 1964
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ndBX8x52o&feature=related
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't wait to be old enough to go - and by the time I was old enough, it had shut :(

That is random! I never even knew Battersea had a fair let alone wanted to go there, so i'm pretty certain I didn't make that comment in 2009. How weird!:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Battersea Funfair and I loved it. I loved the water chute:cool:, the crazy house and the Guiness time clock. People used to sell toy monkeys outside - I never got one, sod it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is random! I never even knew Battersea had a fair let alone wanted to go there, so i'm pretty certain I didn't make that comment in 2009. How weird!:eek:

Getting old :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Yes I remember Battersea Fun Fair... I worked there for ten years full time and two years part time... In fact I still have a couple of my staff passes... I loved it !!!
    Most of the lads that worked on the rides were gypsies.. the side stalls were run by actors that were "resting"... In other words they were out of work at the time...
    It was the most interesting place to work.. believe me, you certainly saw life...
    There were films, Television adverts etc made there either before we opened at 11am or after we closed in the evening..
  • Options
    MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to answer the question about the childrens zoo but read the rest of the posts before I did so, good job I did I had already answered the question IN 2009

Must remember to look at posting dates before I spend all my time and energy reading stuff from 3 BLEDDY YEARS AGO