Options

Kate & Allie

Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,907
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Anyone remember this show from the 80s?

I have fond memories of this show, and am giving serious thought to purchasing the entire lot from the States (though some 'issues' with the DVD boxset apparently)

Susan Saint James & Jane Curtin were really good, and had great chemistry.

I wonder if any of the satellite channels will consider repeating it.

Any other K&A fans?

Comments

• Options
    taskertasker Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to love this show, should be repeated somewhere
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I loved it too.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was going to get the DVDs but I heard they are poor transfers, almost as bad as VHS rips.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww, this thread has just reminded me of the show - I loved it too! It really ought to be repeated somewhere sometime, it's not as if we're lacking channels is it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awww, this thread has just reminded me of the show - I loved it too! It really ought to be repeated somewhere sometime, it's not as if we're lacking channels is it.
    I'd like to see this and 'My Two Dads' and 'Perfect Strangers' repeated.

I'm watching the 'Taxi' repeats at the moment but they are a little twee compared to how I remember them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see this and 'My Two Dads' and 'Perfect Strangers' repeated.

I'm watching the 'Taxi' repeats at the moment but they are a little twee compared to how I remember them.

I barely remember them although they must have been around at the same kind of time I guess.

Wonder if we'd find K&A twee if we watched now, hope not but that's the risk when you revisit the past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I barely remember them although they must have been around at the same kind of time I guess.

Wonder if we'd find K&A twee if we watched now, hope not but that's the risk when you revisit the past.

Kate and Aliie was definitely Twee, even when it was first shown.

That's not a bad thing, just wasn't how I remembered Taxi, though.

It's the same with the 'Upper Hand' repeats on ITV3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate and Aliie was definitely Twee, even when it was first shown.

That's not a bad thing, just wasn't how I remembered Taxi, though.

It's the same with the 'Upper Hand' repeats on ITV3.

It was more cosy than twee as I recall...saying that I was a just a little kid at the time so what would I know ;)

Are you watching 'Second Thoughts', also ITV3? Reminds me just how shit jeans were in the early 90s :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was more cosy than twee as I recall...saying that I was a just a little kid at the time so what would I know ;)

Are you watching 'Second Thoughts', also ITV3? Reminds me just how shit jeans were in the early 90s :eek:

Yes I prefer 'Second Thoughts' to the 'Upper Hand' but the fashion was really bad in both.

The 90s were not very good for fashion IMO.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was going to get the DVDs but I heard they are poor transfers, almost as bad as VHS rips.

Yes, this is why I am hesitant to take the plunge and buy them too ... well that and the import duty.
  • Options
    daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Kate and Allie :)
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went through a phase when i was obsessed with Comedy central and this was back when they didn't just show Two and a half men and Friends, but this was back when every classic or even little known american sitcoms from the 70's/80's and 90's were shown. I miss those days. This was one I liked and it was rather funny.

I love Ellen as well
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never missed K&A - wasn't it on channel 4? - but I'm not sure it would have stood the passage of time and the more sophisticated filming techniques which have since evolved. In my case, my viewing has changed considerably; I was talking at work the other day about some docs I had watched (Amish, America's most hated famliy in crisis, Thurston High school killings, etc.)and a friend said 'do you not watch ANY soaps?' I watch tv to broaden my knowledge, so a programme like a sit com (K&A) wouldn't be for me. Back in the day, though, I also though Jane Curtin and Susan Saint James bounced off each other.