Best book for learning how to draw

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
Forum Member
✭✭
OK, there's this girl I haven't seen for the three decades since we left school (as you can imagine I am using the term "girl" in its loosest sense). Well, we're both single now, and we live in different countries, and have recently started chatting a lot together on Facebook. In one of the posts on her wall she said it was a shame that she didn't know how to draw. So as I'm visiting her country in the New Year and planning on seeing her, I thought it would be quite fun to send her a How to Draw Portraits book for Christmas with a note telling her to practise a lot, because she would have to draw me from life in January.
OK, I know it's a bit of a cheesy, flirty thing to do, but middle-aged divorcees are allowed to flirt with each other.
But there are about a million books on drawing on Amazon. Has anyone got a recommendation for a good one for a beginner?

Comments

• burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    OK, there's this girl I haven't seen for the three decades since we left school (as you can imagine I am using the term "girl" in its loosest sense). Well, we're both single now, and we live in different countries, and have recently started chatting a lot together on Facebook. In one of the posts on her wall she said it was a shame that she didn't know how to draw. So as I'm visiting her country in the New Year and planning on seeing her, I thought it would be quite fun to send her a How to Draw Portraits book for Christmas with a note telling her to practise a lot, because she would have to draw me from life in January.
    OK, I know it's a bit of a cheesy, flirty thing to do, but middle-aged divorcees are allowed to flirt with each other.
    But there are about a million books on drawing on Amazon. Has anyone got a recommendation for a good one for a beginner?
    I buy books on drawing and painting from charity shops. There are always loads in there in really good condition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    I buy books on drawing and painting from charity shops. There are always loads in there in really good condition.

Not in the country where I live though. I could send her a book like Jak nakreslit portrét a hlavu, but as she's English she might struggle with Czech. That's why I need to find something online, preferably from Amazon.
    Actually when you say there are always loads of those books in good condition in charity shops, you know what this means: How to Draw books are often unwanted gifts:D
    Still, it's the thought that counts.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I found Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards very useful http://www.drawright.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards very useful http://www.drawright.com/

I have heard good things about this right side of the brain drawing thing.
    And a bit more subtle than my first idea - How to draw nudes.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is a limit to how much you can learn about drawing from a book. Its much better to join a life drawing class and get instruction from someone who knows what they are doing. You will not know where you are going wrong otherwise.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I have heard good things about this right side of the brain drawing thing.
    And a bit more subtle than my first idea - How to draw nudes.

I tried drawing nudes, well tracing them which is why I was banned from art classes :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried drawing nudes, well tracing them which is why I was banned from art classes :D

I tried painting nudes, but they couldn't sit still because the brush tickled too much.
  • marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely, if by the time you are in your 40's and haven't taken up this drawing thing, there can't be much natural talent if a book is needed to teach you how to draw. These things like music, painting, art cannot be taught ad hoc ..... there has to be some talent from a young age. I would be happy to be proved wrong though ..... painting by numbers does not count!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marianna01 wrote: »
    Surely, if by the time you are in your 40's and haven't taken up this drawing thing, there can't be much natural talent if a book is needed to teach you how to draw. These things like music, painting, art cannot be taught ad hoc ..... there has to be some talent from a young age. I would be happy to be proved wrong though ..... painting by numbers does not count!

I know someone who took up the guitar in his mid forties, and now some five years later, he's quite good. Of course he's never going to be a professional, but he can play well enough to be able to perform for friends and for his own pleasure. I suppose that could be the same with drawing.
    However I think you might be missing the point of why I'm sending her the book. It may end up in a drawer by Boxing Day, but sending it is part of what one might describe as a courting ritual. I just thought I might as well get a good one.
  • marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know someone who took up the guitar in his mid forties, and now some five years later, he's quite good. Of course he's never going to be a professional, but he can play well enough to be able to perform for friends and for his own pleasure. I suppose that could be the same with drawing.
    However I think you might be missing the point of why I'm sending her the book. It may end up in a drawer by Boxing Day, but sending it is part of what one might describe as a courting ritual. I just thought I might as well get a good one.

BIB - I think that an Arts shop, ie. one that sells arty type materials, would be a good start. There used to be a place like that in Oakham in Rutland when I lived there - that was quite a few years ago now though.
  • Pea1Pea1 Posts: 383
    Forum Member

Have you ever read the poem "It couldn't be done" by Edgar Guest? I think you should. ;)
  • Janey BJaney B Posts: 297
    Forum Member

You are right, I used to paint many years ago and my son has inherited my artistic talent. He didn't believe I could draw so I did a quick sketch of our pet cat to prove it. Looking at my drawing he said I wish I could draw like that, aww bless :)
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any of the beginner books which describe basic shapes and light and shade and pencils. followed by lots of practise !
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    books usefully cover perspective and anatomy and stuff which are essential for "seeing properly". but no book can make u an artist. there is no particular method or gimmick that guarantees success.
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best book I have come across on general drawing is 'The Complete Book of Drawing' by Barrington Barber.

It covers all the basics including still life, drawing faces/figures, portraits, landscapes etc. It's well written and well laid-out, with plenty of examples to work from. It's a super book and has really helped me improve my drawing.

I don't have any books just about portraits but this one looks good value.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luckylila wrote: »
    The best book I have come across on general drawing is 'The Complete Book of Drawing' by Barrington Barber.

It covers all the basics including still life, drawing faces/figures, portraits, landscapes etc. It's well written and well laid-out, with plenty of examples to work from. It's a super book and has really helped me improve my drawing.
    Fantastic book, very popular with the members I dealt with when I worked for the Society for All Artists.
    I don't have any books just about portraits but this one looks good value.

Try this one too - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1844487474
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not at all. The majority of the new members at the SAA I dealt with were newly retired people finally having time to take up a hobby. Many were very very good. And you can be taught the basics.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    A Short Book About Drawing by Andrew Marr, an interesting read as well as a guide to drawing (especially portraits)