Fleas problem

Owen_KentOwen_Kent Posts: 270
Forum Member
Anyone else have this problem.

I know this might sound a bit odd but believe me it really does happen. today I found 2 fleas in my fridge and they even alive :o

I am telling the truth as my fridge is not that big, where I put milk ete is down the bottom and the freezer is at the top, they seem to get in at the bottom, I had this problem last year and now its starting again which is a nightmare.

I do have a cat but can't seem to afford flea spray at this moment due to huge bills and I am only on Job Seekers :(

Anyone know if vets put flea spray on for free when you claiming any benefits ete? I know this might be scrounging but I just can't seem to afford it at the moment and I always get loads of fleas around summer and I am dreading it :( >:(

Comments

• Sally7Sally7 Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know (and someone can advise if this is wrong) if you are on benefits your pet can be treated at one of the PDSA affiliated clinics. I'm not sure if it's entirely free or just heavily subsidised, but it will be a lot cheaper than a normal vet. That's the whole point of the charity, to help the pets of people who can't afford to treat them.

However, you will get nowhere with flea spray! It's totally useless to treat the source. You will have to get a proper flea treatment from a vet like Advocate, Advantage or Frontline(only vet strength ones, not the Frontline ones you can buy at a supermarket pharmacy, they are a weaker version of the brand). In fact, don't buy anything from a supermarket like Bob Marten brands, they don't work.

Advocate etc are little pipettes of chemicals that you apply to the back of the cats neck. They work by circulating in the bloodstream so any fleas on the cat are systemically killed. You will need to do it monthly for at least 3 months to break the cycle of new larvae hatching.

HOWEVER, treating the cat will not help without treating the environment. You need to throw out the cats old bed/bedding. Cats don't need pet beds, there is nothing they like better than a cardboard box with rustling newspaper in! Wash anything that can be washed at 60 deg (duvet covers, cushion covers.) Hoover the whole flat and try and get into crevices using a nozzle tool along the skirtings, down the sides of the couch. After you have done the deep clean the best you can (because you will never get absolutely everywhere)spray the upholstery and round the skirtings with a flea spray meant for the environment, not the cat.

Yes, it will be a pain to do this but it's the only way to get rid of them for good, and I'm sure you want to do this as you say it's happening every year and getting you down. You should be able to get treatment for your cat at the PDSA. I don't know if they can prescribe spray for the house as well, but if not its probably about £5-7 for enough to do one treatment. If it's a bad infestation and you live in a housing association flat they might even organise a pest control firm to fumigate, no harm in asking.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Cats are expensive pets. Vets are running a business, so they won't give anything away for nothing.

Advocate is the best flea treatment and that is about 20 pounds or £13.50-£13.80 from Vets UK.

Indorex is the best spray for the house. This is £10.89 on Amazon.

I would recommend going to CAB for money management as your bills obviously need sorting quickly. Sometimes they can get bills reduced depending on circumstances.

RSPCA have surgeries. You have to be quick though.
  • Sally7Sally7 Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a link to the PDSA.
    On their home page they say:

"PDSA Vet Care services are available to pet owners who receive means tested help with their rent or Council Tax (Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support/Reduction)."

There is an eligibility calculator with only a couple of questions and as part of the process it will tell you where your nearest clinic is.

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/pdsa-vet-care/eligibility
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    get a nit comb and sit with the cat on your knee and comb it and squish any you find to keep them down a bit, you could also try buying some diatomateous (sp) earth and dust the cat down as its very sharp and rips the fleas to bits and is very cheap
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Owen_Kent wrote: »
    Anyone know if vets put flea spray on for free when you claiming any benefits ete? I know this might be scrounging but I just can't seem to afford it at the moment and I always get loads of fleas around summer and I am dreading it :( >:(
    You can buy 3 months supply of Frontline from Hyperdrug for £11, it's not expensive. You'll also need some household flea spray, because there's no point treating the cat if the house has fleas - you can get that from about £4 from supermarkets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    get a nit comb and sit with the cat on your knee and comb it and squish any you find to keep them down a bit, you could also try buying some diatomateous (sp) earth and dust the cat down as its very sharp and rips the fleas to bits and is very cheap

If you get the food grade, you can pop a bit in their food for prevention as well as dusting the house with it. Great stuff.
  • Glitterbug13Glitterbug13 Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    You will probably laugh when I say this but walk around your home with a pair of white socks on - fleas, for some reason, are attracted to white and will hop onto the socks. Have some cellotape handy and press it on the fleas, fold the tape and squish them or just chuck it with the flea trapped inside.

Just by doing the white sock thing will tell you whether you have an infestation or not. But you will need to treat your cat asap.
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your cat could die from the fleas sucking blood. Drains her body but also opens many wounds to infection.

See a vet and offer a payment plan with a deposit of course.

If you're in a flat or terrace you also have to realise the fleas will migrate next door.

As you're on benefits, go to Job Centre and explain the problem. They will send a Council infestation man around but I bet you will have to treat your cat. So you should. If you can afford to feed it, you can afford to treat it.