How many shops are open on Easter Sunday?

2»

Comments

• LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    I can only speak for myself but my trip to Tesco was nothing to do with shopping, I went to give Easter eggs to the staff there (barring 1 of the managers) who are always lovely to me & my kids.

I'm sure it was most appreciated and was a lovely gesture on your part.
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see anyone in this thread worrying about going to the shops :confused: OP simply asked 'Are many shops near you open?' and people responded with what they know. Personally me, I've not set foot out of the house today, and I've no intention of doing so either :cool:

There's other things besides shops so you could go out :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CM wrote: »
    There's other things besides shops so you could go out :cool:

No thanks, I'm 'chillaxing' as I believe the youth of today call it :cool:
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically all shops that are smaller than 3,000 square foot is allowed to open today. The ones you see open late on a regular Sunday. The mini supermarkets are mostly open, the big ones are all closed by law.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's two Asdas and three Tescos here that haven't closed since they opened at 7am on January 2nd.

And unless they need to do a refit or such like, none of them will close again until Christmas Eve.
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No shops are open in city centre Manchester where I am
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad thread this can't posters find something else to do 2 days a year without worrying about going to shop.:cool:
    Why should they? Shops should be able to open when they like. I am only glad that certain shops are exempt from this stupid law. My car broke down today and I am working all Easter weekend and it was lucky that there was a garage open to be able to fix it. Remember some people need some shops open for emergency reasons.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    So just because someone works in a supermarket you shouldn't give them an Easter egg?! Ok then. I'll tell that to my friends who work in various supermarkets and who all asked for Easter eggs from friends & family.

I'd find it very weird if another adult gave me an Easter egg in the first place. What's wrong with all these adults that they're asking for Easter eggs?
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd find it very weird if another adult gave me an Easter egg in the first place. What's wrong with all these adults that they're asking for Easter eggs?

I've was brought up with adults that give each-other Easter eggs and seemingly my friends were too since we all exchange Easter eggs.

Lots of the eggs you see in shops are aimed at adults not children anyways.

The giving and receiving of chocolate (quite rightly) has no age limit on it.
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should they? Shops should be able to open when they like. I am only glad that certain shops are exempt from this stupid law. My car broke down today and I am working all Easter weekend and it was lucky that there was a garage open to be able to fix it. Remember some people need some shops open for emergency reasons.

That's why all the little shops open for those with emergencies and also A&E as well. :D
  • BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe that in this day and age big shops have been forced to shut today.

I can fully understand Christmas Day but let's be honest the only thing Easter means to most people is chocolate.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad thread this can't posters find something else to do 2 days a year without worrying about going to shop.:cool:
    I don't see anyone in this thread worrying about going to the shops :confused: OP simply asked 'Are many shops near you open?' and people responded with what they know. Personally me, I've not set foot out of the house today, and I've no intention of doing so either :cool:

SK pretty much posted what I wanted to say.

I needed to pop to the shops as I got a last minute invite for dinner and wanted to take something for the hosts.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Here in Ireland all the supermarkets in my town seem to be open. One of them was open normal Sunday hours (until 10pm) and another was open til 6pm. We have no trading restrictions apart from not being allowed to buy booze on Good Friday. Shops have to be closed on Christmas Day as well. Our unrestricted trading hours are great :D Even on a normal weekday evening the earliest shops (not supermarkets!) close is 6 or 7pm. My city doesn't become a ghost town at half 5.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here in Ireland all the supermarkets in my town seem to be open. One of them was open normal Sunday hours (until 10pm) and another was open til 6pm. We have no trading restrictions apart from not being allowed to buy booze on Good Friday. Shops have to be closed on Christmas Day as well. Our unrestricted trading hours are great :D Even on a normal weekday evening the earliest shops (not supermarkets!) close is 6 or 7pm. My city doesn't become a ghost town at half 5.

That's only in the south though, up north it's the restricted hours. Not open today though.

(And yet people still come up north to the restricted hours on a Sunday)
  • Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of Cheshire Oaks was open today - http://www.mcarthurglen.com/uk/cheshire-oaks-designer-outlet/en/plan-your-visit/opening-hours/

I really don't get why the Sunday trading law is in place.

If a company wants to trade on any given day, what's the problem?
    Sky is trading today, no one's up in arms about that. Cinemas are trading today, no one's up in arms about that.

What makes retail so special?
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think all shops were open here as normal for a Sunday, but then I'm in Scotland so all the ASDA stores are still 24 hours.
  • Spdub2Spdub2 Posts: 272
    Forum Member

I'm in the Crumlin area of Dublin and all the large supermarkets ( Tesco Dunnes SuperQunn ( using it's old name ) Lidl and Aldi are closed today unlike other Sundays ,

The only shops open are the Tesco Express shop and shops of a similar size like Spar and Centra .
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    That's only in the south though, up north it's the restricted hours. Not open today though.

(And yet people still come up north to the restricted hours on a Sunday)

I live in the South so I'm just going by the opening hours of shops in my city.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Drove passed Tesco today and they were shut.

Bizarrely B&Q were shut :confused:
    The Easter weekend is renowned for being the DIY holiday... and the country's leading DIY store is closed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Drove passed Tesco today and they were shut.

Bizarrely B&Q were shut :confused:
    The Easter weekend is renowned for being the DIY holiday... and the country's leading DIY store is closed.

They have to, it's law.

https://www.gov.uk/trading-hours-for-retailers-the-law

They are forced to close due to a law that only restricts one industry. Even if B&Q wanted to open today, they were not allowed to (unless they have a smaller store than 280m² in retail area).
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    They have to, it's law.

https://www.gov.uk/trading-hours-for-retailers-the-law

They are forced to close due to a law that only restricts one industry. Even if B&Q wanted to open today, they were not allowed to (unless they have a smaller store than 280m² in retail area).

Ah I see. Never knew that. I know they were restricted on ordinary sundays but didn't know:
    Shops over 280 square metres must close on Easter Sunday

Seems a bit unfair on them, considering the line of business they're in.
    I popped in for paint, plants, grass-seed, but have ordered it online now as I won't be going into town again until next Friday..
    There were 5 other cars turning around in the carpark as I arrived.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Ah I see. Never knew that. I know they were restricted on ordinary sundays but didn't know:

Seems a bit unfair on them, considering the line of business they're in.
    I popped in for paint, plants, grass-seed, but have ordered it online now as I won't be going into town again until next Friday..
    There were 5 other cars turning around in the carpark as I arrived.

It is unfair, I agree. The law shouldn't dictate to one industry and all the others. It also shouldn't restrict only certain parts of one industry and not the other. Get rid of that law and there's a fair playing field - not just for all retailers, but for all businesses and industries in the UK.

There is a petition to get rid of it - http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/55741

If more people knew about the silly law and the petition to get rid of said silly law, then the law would've been scrapped by now.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have not counted them but the shops which open on Christmas day will be open as well as the big stores.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Every shop was open in Aberdeeen, business as usual.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    AcerBen wrote: »
    Basically all shops that are smaller than 3,000 square foot is allowed to open today. The ones you see open late on a regular Sunday. The mini supermarkets are mostly open, the big ones are all closed by law.

This does not apply in Scotland where Sunday restrictions have been scrapped for a number of years.