About to graduate with a Software Engineering degree not sure about my job prospects

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    I can confirm there are loads of development jobs around in London and the South East. If you have a relevant degree and decent skills you should be able to get an entry level position pretty easily. After you have clocked up a couple of years of experience you will have no problem finding a job at all.

I'm trying to find DBA jobs but they seem to require years of experience.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Jiks_Haloa wrote: »

Last year, the company i used to work for spent ages trying to find a decent IT support grad with DBA skills. They didn't want to pay much so wanted someone straight out of uni.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The problem is that a lot of DBA knowledge and skills do come down to the experience of running large production databases. It may be better to get a general IT support position which requires some DBA work so that you can get further experience and certification. Many small companies just cannot justify a full time DBA so you need to have more strings to your bow.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know anyone personally who started off in a DBA role. They usually started off as junior developers who built their experiece of databases over years of coding for them... only making the move to dba after becoming comfortable with the various db operations that come with development eg. creating databases, indexes, sps, query optimisation etc.... Don't try to run before you can walk!
  • oldcrakpotoldcrakpot Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    In a few weeks time I will be finishing my degree in Software engineering. I have to admit I was not very good with the programming aspect of my course. I'm now stuck and not sure what to do. I would still like to work in IT but most graduate schemes are now closed off. What are my options? how can I get a job with no work experience other than my degree?
    Did you not think about this before you took the degree how many people are you up against and do not broadcast that your crap on programming it "dont "help your prospects
  • cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you considered looking at a job in Software Testing?

In some companies the test teams are as large as the development teams.
  • highwayman_nehighwayman_ne Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Have a look at HP - they run a large graduate recruitment program. Most jobs at the moment are based in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Erskine.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you considered looking at a job in Software Testing?

In some companies the test teams are as large as the development teams.

I mentioned testing earlier. it's a great way to get into the door of many software companies and can then be used as a spring board to many other jobs. Testers will often know the workings of software better than anyone one else in the company as they have to work with it in such detail. Programmers will only know their own part of the code and designers will only know how it is supposed to work. We have people who started in testing but then moved into development, project management, support and other positions based upon their in-depth knowledge of the product.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a few weeks time I will be finishing my degree in Software engineering. I have to admit I was not very good with the programming aspect of my course. I'm now stuck and not sure what to do. I would still like to work in IT but most graduate schemes are now closed off. What are my options? how can I get a job with no work experience other than my degree?

My degree is in software engineering, I graduated about 15 years ago..... I have never been out of work for more than 3 weeks unless I chose to have a longer break.... even the worst of the guy's and gal's on my course have found getting work relatively easy.
  • Janey_BeeJaney_Bee Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    I finished my CS degree with a Pass...ie worse than a 3rd!

I got an admin role in a tech department, got chatting to the tech guys who encouraged me to go for a vacancy 18 months down the line, and now I'm a web developer.

We are crying out for testers at my work - sign up to Reed, which is where we get all our contractors from. They're on 500 quid a day!!! (I'm not a contractor but I managed to get in before they put a block on perm recruitment).

Good luck OP!