Options

Police search for missing boy with brain tumour removed from hospital by his parents

Comments

• Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I've previously said they shouldn't have been jailed but that would have been nothing to do with the hospital, they merely reported the facts to the police/relevant authorities: a missing kid at risk of injury or premature death and who needed to be found, urgently.

Yes doctors make mistakes (as I well know from personal experience!) but we have no evidence of that in this case so far. The apparent delay in communicating with Prague needs clearing up, agreed, but that doesn't excuse the parents' disappearing act with very sick kid in tow.

If the hispital had done nothing and the kida had died or become more seriously ill, I bet many of those currently attacking the hospital would have been among the first to accuse them of failing to act, of doing a Rotherham, there would have been hell to pay. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Well yes but it took a massive push on social media for 'common sense' to kick in when the child was found. You would have thought the UK authorities could have handled it better when the child was found safe. This does not reflect well on Southampton hospital or the police.

I still think that somehow King was given the impression that they were going to do this radiotherapy regardless of the parents opinion, with a ward of court to be applied if he didn't agree.

In my opinion this is definitely a treatment that should be an option and NOT compulsory given the known side effects and the fact that it would likely cause a fair amount of brain damage.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I know that but what's it got to do with the bit of my post that you highlighted? I was referring to the claim that Southampton General unacceptably delayed producing the patient notes for Prague following their request some time ago. That needs clearing up. I also know that Prague now do have those notes.

Can't you see just how much the blame is being shifted more and more towards the hospital, with them neglecting and ignoring requests from a) Prague and b) Mr King? For weeks now?

I mean, if the High Court Judge is about to cut through all the dodooos to get the Ashya there as soon as possible now then surely that must tell us something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Yes I have :)

Thank you.

Hardly anyone has commented on it.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    How it was a good idea to lock up the Kings in a high security jail in Spain for a few days ?? Especially Mrs King.
    Oh stop this crazy OTT dramatising. You make it sound as though they were in solitary wearing leg irons!

Having watched all these videos I still think that the Kings must have felt backed into a corner regarding the treatment and this needs to be investigated.
    Perhaps the NHS should take to making YouTube videos about how they have been put in an impossible position through the Kings actions.

Though i suppose you wouldn't want to watch those would you?
    I've previously said they shouldn't have been jailed but that would have been nothing to do with the hospital, they merely reported the facts to the police/relevant authorities: a missing kid at risk of harm or premature death and who needed to be found, urgently.

Yes doctors make mistakes (as I well know from personal experience!) but we have no evidence of that in this case so far. The apparent delay in communicating with Prague needs clearing up, agreed, but that doesn't excuse the parents' disappearing act with very sick kid in tow.

If the hospital had done nothing and the kid had died or become more seriously ill, I bet many of those currently attacking the hospital would have been among the first to accuse them of failing to act, of doing a Rotherham, there would have been hell to pay. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    BIB is exactly what i put on this thread pages back d@ve and repeatedly asked if the authorities had done absolutely nothing.....whose blood would they be baying for then?

The parents........or the Hospital and authorities?

Needless to say not one clear answer to that simple question came back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Oh stop this crazy OTT dramatising. You make it sound as though they were in solitary wearing leg irons!

Says you. :p
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    If the hospital had done nothing and the kid had died or become more seriously ill, I bet many of those currently attacking the hospital would have been among the first to accuse them of failing to act, of doing a Rotherham, there would have been hell to pay. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    BIB is exactly what i put on this thread pages back d@ve and repeatedly asked if the authorities had done absolutely nothing.....whose blood would they be baying for then?

I didn't know you'd also been saying that, as I was late into the thread. Perhaps we should do an:

" Excuse me:
    " can you all see this post:
    " Shall I put it in bold?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Says you. :p
    Oh i'm off to bed if you're going to start cackling over your cauldron!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I din't know you'd also been saying that, as I was late into the thread. Perhaps we should do an:

"Excuse me:
    "can you all see this post:
    "Shall I put it in bold?"

Dig taken. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh i'm off to bed if you're going to start cackling over your cauldron!

I'm not a witch, you cheeky...

LOL :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dig taken. :D

:D:D:D ;)
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps the NHS should take to making YouTube videos about how they have been put in an impossible position through the Kings actions.

Though i suppose you wouldn't want to watch those would you?

To be fair I think you are the one going OTT as you don't really make any coherent sense to me.

I respect people like d@ve who has a different opinion as myself as they are at least articulating their points in a coherent way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be fair I think you are the one going OTT as you don't really make any coherent sense to me.

I respect people like d@ve who has a different opinion as myself as they are at least articulating their points in a coherent way

Why thank you! :) But I have to add, I found BG's points to be fully coherent, even at this unearthly hour! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know you'd also been saying that, as I was late into the thread. Perhaps we should do an:

" Excuse me:
    " can you all see this post:
    " Shall I put it in bold?"
    :D:D:D:D

Well as i said......it wasn't too well received as any sane logical thinking person would know the answer, but it wouldn't 'fit in' with all the euphoria and paranoia which has permeated throughout this thread from the beginning!

Occasionally the fog clears and one or two common sense postings manage to get through. ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you.

Hardly anyone has commented on it.

Nearly 12k have watched it though, not bad in a day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wurden sie gerne in Deutsch, Polnisch oder Serbisch statt?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be competing with Eastenders at that rate eh? :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why thank you! :) But I have to add, I found BG's points to be fully coherent, even at this unearthly hour! ;)
    Appreciated d@ve.

As i mentioned previously.......the fog. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the fact that the two Southampton hospital consultants directly involved in this shambles haven't shown their faces yet verrrry telling myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.justgiving.com/Ashya-King-Proton-Beam-Treatment

Fundraising page for Ashya, for all who are interested.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The furore that this case has aroused, and mostly positive support, suggests that the Kings were and are in the right and the naysayers are in the wrong.

Moreover, the naysayers are being disingenuous, ignorant of some 'facts' and often abusive.

I have lost a lot of respect for some familiar DS names.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope they get Ashya to treatment today. Time is not on that wee lads side.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    I think the fact that the two Southampton hospital consultants directly involved in this shambles haven't shown their faces yet verrrry telling myself.

With any luck they are busy tendering their resignation along with anyone else responsible for this debacle
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting

With such treatment, Ashya’s chances of survival are very good (between 70- 80%).

During discussions, Ashya’s family indicated that they wished him to undergo proton radiotherapy instead of standard radiotherapy. This option was explored with the family and they were informed that in Ashya’s case there is likely to be no difference in survival between standard radiotherapy and proton radiotherapy and overall no proven significant benefit.

Therefore, the Trust considers there is no benefit to Ashya of proton radiotherapy over standard radiotherapy.

Surely, the benefit of proton radiotherapy would be the potential decreased risk of side effects? They are supposed to be treating an individual patient, not a statistic. I think this is one of the major problems within the NHS, and something Mr King alluded to in their pre-arrest video.

See this is the thing that a lot are not getting. There is to most of us a big difference between survival and surviving with enough brain matter to live a normal. or near normal life.

To a hospital they will just put a survival rate, even though a lot of those survivors will have not much quality of life.
    So people point out "hey look he had that much chance or surviving on normal treatment" yes maybe but in most cases he would never be their little boy again.

With the other treatment he "could" not only survive but still be the same person (or near enough) he was before falling ill.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The good thing to come out of all this is that a children's charity is going to help fund the proton beam treatment now.