Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgive me but isn't that the stock in trade of most of the opinionated LBC presenters?

They put forward a view and then cut off any callers who dare disagree with them
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fezza is on the Alan Titchmarsh show this afternoon.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    >:(>:( FILTH!!!!!!!!!
    Ooh Matron! :o
    Martin, I can't begin to describe to you the array of images which your comment brought to my mind. :o:blush::o:blush:

I cannot imagine what you lot were thinking, but it is a genuine promotion by a radio station :p
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Actor Brian Cox on Iain Dale's show speaking for the yes campaign. Miserable, dour sod. A world away from Eddie Izzard and Dan Snow who bounced in earlier to talk about their impromptu Trafalgar Square concert for the No campaign. They managed to keep the mood up, saying that it was the people of Scotland's decision but we'd really love you to stay in the "family". Cox on the other hand went down the "years of repression" victim road. Yawn.
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    A woman rang Ian Collins the other night and tried to put across the point of view that the reason some people may appear to have become more anti-Muslim is that the media does nothing but represent Islam in a bad light. Collins tried to ridicule her reference to "the media" and immediately went into sly-attack mode, asking questions designed to expose her as a racist. She wasn't the most eloquent of callers but she didn't fall for it and he ended up looking a bit of a tw*t, especially as he cut her off.

Ian Collins has done that before now, truly pathetic when listeners have been primed to answer specific questions by him.
    Last night Duncan Barkes was really given a rollicking by a caller. He kept asking, for god knows how long in a probing way, "What was really on the Queen's mind when she made a passing comment to a member of the public regarding Scotland?" Anyway, an older chap rang in called John who was very articulate and literally tore him off a strip for posturing such a daft question. Barky became lost for words and said "I'm here you know to ask questions." Then he quickly changed the subject. :D
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actor Brian Cox on Iain Dale's show speaking for the yes campaign. Miserable, dour sod. A world away from Eddie Izzard and Dan Snow who bounced in earlier to talk about their impromptu Trafalgar Square concert for the No campaign. They managed to keep the mood up, saying that it was the people of Scotland's decision but we'd really love you to stay in the "family". Cox on the other hand went down the "years of repression" victim road. Yawn.

I was Scottish for 25 years, but I'm not now. In fact, after Thursday, thanks to a lot of Eastern Europeans and Aussies passing through, I might be stateless.
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    A woman rang Ian Collins the other night and tried to put across the point of view that the reason some people may appear to have become more anti-Muslim is that the media does nothing but represent Islam in a bad light. Collins tried to ridicule her reference to "the media" and immediately went into sly-attack mode, asking questions designed to expose her as a racist. She wasn't the most eloquent of callers but she didn't fall for it and he ended up looking a bit of a tw*t, especially as he cut her off.

That's pretty much what I was getting at in post #6888 back in May.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1942946&page=276

"Ian Collin's has just been doing his Brien act.

Interrupting a caller before he is able to make the point he phones up for with a side question, then shooting more questions in a bid to totally derail the original point. He does this sometimes I've noticed and I find it incredibly objectionable.

I have tweeted him to point out this obnoxious attitude."
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Stewie is losing the plot.

He said he was 'incommunicado' (with some cats), which means NOT in communication with, when he meant the very opposite (too long to explain, he was on about some psychic tosh).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Was Olly Mans topic of prisons and helping offenders rehabilitate just THE dullest topic this morning? , he spent most of an hour running through the subject in different ways trying to get callers. Have you been in prison? Do you know anyone who's been in prison? Do you have a loved one who has a neighbour who has a milkman who has a cat that once walked past a prison? Best part of the whole hour was when he pronounced Plaistow as "Placetow" ... Olly's more home counties than home boy I think.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malcolm p wrote: »
    Was Olly Mans topic of prisons and helping offenders rehabilitate just THE dullest topic this morning? , he spent most of an hour running through the subject in different ways trying to get callers. Have you been in prison? Do you know anyone who's been in prison? Do you have a loved one who has a neighbour who has a milkman who has a cat that once walked past a prison? Best part of the whole hour was when he pronounced Plaistow as "Placetow" ... Olly's more home counties than home boy I think.

They all seem to have been doing the 'prison' thing on and off for the last week or so, it must be one of the default subjects when they've run out of anything else topical. We're still getting 'why do people care more about animals than people' as well, and 'should there be faith schools' and 'what are British values', all introduced as if no-one else has spent hours talking about it recently.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoof Steve on @radiohalfwit is far funnier than the real one. His latest tweet made me LOL. Better not cut and paste it as it mentions one of his texters by name. ;-)

Morning all. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember Iain and Duncan being a really good pairing on the European Election results show, so looking forward to their Referendum results programme - as much of it as I manage to stay awake for! It's not listed on the schedule; presumably it starts at 10pm and goes through to Ferrari.
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »
    They all seem to have been doing the 'prison' thing on and off for the last week or so, it must be one of the default subjects when they've run out of anything else topical. We're still getting 'why do people care more about animals than people' as well, and 'should there be faith schools' and 'what are British values', all introduced as if no-one else has spent hours talking about it recently.

These topics are totally abstract anyway. Constantly listeners have also been asked their opinions on what Britain should or shouldn't do re: Iraq, ISIS, (?ISIL) etc. It's such a tricky, complicated situation I wouldn't expect the general public to be equipped with the answers. I can't see what this line of questioning achieves, after all the majority of us aren't military strategists! On that note, even the government have seemed at a loss to know how to proceed for the best.
  • Options
    Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all and g-s :)
    Apparently, the travel news is brought to us this morning by 'Amanda Cole'. Either she has an unusually low voice for a woman, or it's an unusual name for a bloke. Whoever they are, they seem to have had several too many cups of coffee. Never mind, the next travel news *IS* in fifteen minutes. I don't think we're 'kpnglndnmving' any more...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cayce wrote: »
    These topics are totally abstract anyway. Constantly listeners have also been asked their opinions on what Britain should or shouldn't do re: Iraq, ISIS, (?ISIL) etc. It's such a tricky, complicated situation I wouldn't expect the general public to be equipped with the answers. I can't see what this line of questioning achieves, after all the majority of us aren't military strategists! On that note, even the government have seemed at a loss to know how to proceed for the best.
    Very true, Cayce. I think this is also true of the Scottish Referendum. What do we know? What have we learned? Not much, I'm afraid, Ladies and Gentlemen...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very true, Cayce. I think this is also true of the Scottish Referendum. What do we know? What have we learned? Not much, I'm afraid, Ladies and Gentlemen...

Oh I don't know. I think we know far more about, are more interested in, and will be more affected by the Scottish Referendum than what's going on in the Middle East. Callers who join on air discussion about it have strong opinions which are often based on experience, heritage and/or a love of their country, whether Scotland or UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I don't know. I think we know far more about, are more interested in, and will be more affected by the Scottish Referendum than what's going on in the Middle East. Callers who join on air discussion about it have strong opinions which are often based on experience, heritage and/or a love of their country, whether Scotland or UK.
    Exactly g-s. From what I've heard (and to a great extent what I've read) concerning the SR, it seems to be more a case of heart than head. I would prefer to address more of the latter.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Lisa Aziz seems incredulous that it will be possible to pay for a tube journey with a contactless card from today.
    "Customers will be able to PAY with a contact less BANK card!!!"

Or maybe she's just really bad at reading the news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, that's always been the problem with phone-ins. Either you have to stick to subjects that everyone knows about (which can be a bit dull), or you have to listen to people who are less informed than you are making the most of their 2 seconds of fame.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    The RDS station name on FM seems have changed from 'LBC' back to 'LBC 97.3'.

I wonder why? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa Aziz seems incredulous that it will be possible to pay for a tube journey with a contactless card from today.
    "Customers will be able to PAY with a contact less BANK card!!!"

Or maybe she's just really bad at reading the news.

EVERYTHING is AMAZING!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EVERYTHING is AMAZING!!

As bank card providers have a habit of monitoring your spending and freaking out if there have been a lot of minor and unusual transactions, like bus fares, for example, I predict that a lot of people will find their cards being stopped.
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    As bank card providers have a habit of monitoring your spending and freaking out if there have been a lot of minor and unusual transactions, like bus fares, for example, I predict that a lot of people will find their cards being stopped.

Also many payments being taken more than once and people swiping your details. This can be done from some distance with these contactless cards.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thebunster wrote: »
    The RDS station name on FM seems have changed from 'LBC' back to 'LBC 97.3'.

I wonder why? :confused:

Sometimes on the car radio it momentarily shows LBC 97.3 before reverting to just LBC. I suspect it must be something in the car radio's 'memory' ?

Just checked my DAB radio and it is just LBC.
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was half asleep while I was listening to Steve Allen this morning so I didn't catch everything he said but who did he say should be beheaded and why?
This discussion has been closed.