Do you cross your 7s?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
Forum Member
I do. I can't remember when or why I started this but I write my 7s with a cross through the middle.

I am always getting forms returned to me or asked to fill in another one because they don't accept the 7s with crosses though them. I often forget and just do it out of habit then annoy myself when I realise I have to fill in the form again :o

Does anyone else do this?

Another thing I do is write a z so it appears under the line, like this

...and I type my number 2 similar to this

I'm not sure if they're unusual or not, but I got the z thing from when I started studying German in school and seen it in a text book so adopted it because it was easier to write it like that joined up and the 2 thing just evolved naturally.

Comments

• indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't cross my 7's, I always thought it was a European thing?
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do. I don't curve my threes either. I do like a half a z then curve the bottom round. I do my 2's like that as-well (Not like Z's LOL :o Like your pic).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes do it.
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    I don't cross my 7's, I always thought it was a European thing?

it is
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    No. I don't put a line along the bottom of a 1 either.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always cross sevens, have done for years.

It makes sense when you're taking orders quickly and somebody else as to read them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    No. I don't put a line along the bottom of a 1 either.

I have never seen anyone do that.:confused:
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,265
    Forum Member
    I do all of them too, but with the Z I don't loop it back into the word, I just leave it looking like a number 3, partly because my left-handed joined up writing is virtually illegible even to me!

I also do my Q's with the flick going to the left rather than right, probably as it's just easier for me to write them that way. (Capital Q's that is, I don't write the little ones backwards or anything weird like that!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    How do you write your 4s? Do you write it like it's typed - 4 - or like me where I don't join the vertical line to the diagonal one?

I write my 1s similar to this.

When I write 6, I start from the centre, kind of draw a circle then carry on to the top section, and when I type 9 it's just an inverted version of my 6s.

Oh, and my lowercase F looks like an 8 on it's side with a chunk missing , like this :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I write z like that too but with a flat top, so basically a 3 with a flat top. Not sure why though I've alway done them like that
    Forum Member
    If I could be bothered I'd open a new thread asking people to show us their handwriting, but I can't be bothered to show mine so it wouldn't be fair :p

I actually write in italics as well. Again, I have no idea why. It just developed like that. It might be because I used to use fountain pens in school.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Yes so it looks different to a 1

9 is like a q

and I cross my z's or write them like a '3'

I don't dot i's or j's though. I did used to put a little o above them but when you write fast you can't keep up.

I write my a like 'a'

My little 'f' looks like a crossed 7 too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am crap with MS Paint but this should give you a rough idea how I do my numbers.
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,265
    Forum Member
    I am crap with MS Paint but this should give you a rough idea how I do my numbers.

I do my 1's the same, but with my 4's the line next to the cross bit is vertical.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,741
    Forum Member
    I cross my 7s. Started doing it in German class. God knows why.
  • RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was about 7 (funnily enough:D ) my teacher did her 7's like that. I thought it was cool, and have crossed mine ever since.

My 2's can only be written how you do it. The other way just feels wrong!
  • †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do. I can't remember when or why I started this but I write my 7s with a cross through the middle.

I am always getting forms returned to me or asked to fill in another one because they don't accept the 7s with crosses though them. I often forget and just do it out of habit then annoy myself when I realise I have to fill in the form again :o

Does anyone else do this?

...and I type my number 2 similar to this

I'm not sure if they're unusual or not, but I got the z thing from when I started studying German in school and seen it in a text book so adopted it because it was easier to write it like that joined up and the 2 thing just evolved naturally.
    How do you write your 4s? Do you write it like it's typed - 4 - or like me where I don't join the vertical line to the diagonal one?

I write my 1s similar to this.

When I write 6, I start from the centre, kind of draw a circle then carry on to the top section, and when I type 9 it's just an inverted version of my 6s.

Oh, and my lowercase F looks like an 8 on it's side with a chunk missing , like this :o

We must have the same handwriting :p

I cross my 7's, curl my 2's, wiggle my lowercase z's (I 'cross' capital ones!), draw 6's and 9's the same way and I do f's similarly too :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No gimmicks here when the two sevens clash ;)

That's some culture for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An uncrossed 7 is too easily mistaken for a 1 so I cross them to avoid ambiguity. I didn't do that at school but started crossing them when I was a student. I also cross a Z because in an alpha-numeric string it can easily be mistaken for a 2.
    Forum Member
    Amy_S wrote: »
    An uncrossed 7 is too easily mistaken for a 1 so I cross them to avoid ambiguity. I didn't do that at school but started crossing them when I was a student. I also cross a Z because in an alpha-numeric string it can easily be mistaken for a 2.

If I type a string of characters I will put a diagonal cross through 0s but I tend to write such things differently to my normal handwriting anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do a cross through my 7's, I dont put the line at the bottom of a 1, my 3's are like a half Z with a curly bit on the bottom and my 4's are an L with a line through again, the bit at the bottom.

Weird how we do these things eh? I do it cos that's how my mum used to and I always loved watching her write when I was little so that's where it comes from for me :)
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Amy_S wrote: »

This.

Never did it as school but I'd have to admit that I'm a kinda sloppy writer and my job often requires m to write a lot of numbers very quickly so it is easy for a scrawled 7 to look like a 1 unless I cross it.

I can see the point of crossing Zs and 0s but I never use alphanumeric strings so I've never bothered.
  • varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cross the 7 and the Z but only when I want to make sure that there's no confusion, that generally means postcodes (I use one with both a 7 and a Z in regularly) and not much else.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do cross 7's because my primary school teacher said my uncrossed 7's weren't clear. It would've been around the same time they converted my writing from left to right handed. The joys of primary schooling in the late 70's!!
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    yeah and my s`s are like this - 3.