MOTs every two years

Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
There is a proposal to introduce this for cars.

Do you think it's a good idea? Obviously it'll save the motorist money - but surely there's a catch?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8441028/MoTs-every-two-years-under-proposed-changes-to-system.html

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well looking at some of the cars on the roads I doubt everyone bothers anyway !
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I don't think it's a good idea, quite often things are caught in the MOT just before it'd get dangrous to drive. Leaving it another year is not a good idea.
    On new cars, maybe. For example, once every 2 years, until the car is 4, and then yearly after that, but only a maybe, I can't decide if that would be beneficial :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    most of my cars never pass two years on the trot so theres a huge possibility for dangerous cars to be on the road it would be in insurers intrest to give extra % for cars that are moted when renewal comes along ...

EDIT: New cars are only MOT`d when they are 3 years old already
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do people not practice basic car maintenance any more? It's not that difficult to keep your car in tip-top running order.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's a good idea, many old bangers out there look like they won't be able to make it to the end of the month. Giving them another year before it's MOT time doesn't seem wise for their or anyone else's benefit.

Though this of course coming from someone who doesn't have to have an MOT for 2½ years yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes please, it would save me 45 quid a year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes please. MOT's are legalised robbery.
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Hell no.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking as the owner of a car repair business, I think this idea is stupid, they should be thinking the other way, eg, tests every 6 months.

Remember, the mot is only an on the day thing, the car could do 30,000 miles easily, more in some cases, in 2 years....anything could be wrong with it.

I often get horrified with 20,000 mile service intervals, the condition of brakes on these vehicles sometimes take your breath away, not to mention the condition of tyres.

Some vehicles I see are downright dangerous after not being looked at in 2 years.

I always tell my customers to have at least an inspection every year, but the best thing is a service every year.

I'm sure I will be accused of bias, but seriously, there would be some very unsafe vehicles on the road if this idea becomes the standard.
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    As I understand it an MOT certificate/disc is only valid proof that the car has actually been tested but not proof that the car is in roadworthy condition, when I get my car/bike tested the valid condition of the car according to the test ends the minute I leave the test centre.
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    camer wrote: »
    As I understand it an MOT certificate/disc is only valid proof that the car has actually been tested but not proof that the car is in roadworthy condition, when I get my car/bike tested the valid condition of the car according to the test ends the minute I leave the test centre.

Off course the driver has the responsibility to only drive a road worthy car but if a mechanic believes something may fail in 12 months they get an advisory or it get's repaired or fails the test, and they can't guaranty something won't fail but is unlikely to fail unless millage or driving style changes you can't account for someone driving with the hand break up or an emergency break making a flat spot on the tires.

I think this says it all really.

"The MoT test costs just over £50 but it can easily increase to £200 or more with tyre replacement and repairs for wear and tear, such as brake discs. "
  • lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Note it is only until the car is 9 years old, and then it reverts to every year from 10 yrs old onwards.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,789
    Forum Member
    Not a good idea on the whole, as there are plenty of people wdo don't know bugger all about car maitenance and we are bound to get situations where people let their brake pads go to the bare metal! :eek:

Only way round it is too leave it to the discretion of the last MOT checker who could give the approval for the current owner to go back in 2 yearsif the car is in good nick and the person seems to know about cars.
    MOT people can and do/should advise on what may need doing etc.

Any doubt about the owner, make em come back every year though.
  • DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really for MOT's every 2 years. However, if it was brought in then there should be some heavy fine or penalty if your vehicle is found to be in a 'poor' state, or if regular servicing is avoided.

Not going to happen anyway. Its not even a new story, its been talked about for the last 4 years.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    This is a really bad idea. While many modern cars have long service intervals, and the engine etc could be fine after 2 years, there'd be a lot of cars with bald tyres and no brakes left after 18 months or so, never mind 2 years.

Most people don't bother checking things like that, even if they know how to.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aspartame wrote: »
    This is a really bad idea. While many modern cars have long service intervals, and the engine etc could be fine after 2 years, there'd be a lot of cars with bald tyres and no brakes left after 18 months or so, never mind 2 years.

Absolutely - I brought a second hand car recently that had just passed its MOT. Had a flat a couple of weeks later and all the tyres were right on the edge of legality, so I don't even want to think what state they could be in if they were declared "safe" for a further 2 years :eek:
  • dooglemiredooglemire Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    These changes are to bring us in line with europe so what else will be changing?

Too many people rely on only the mot and see it as a ticket to not have to worry about things for the next year this shouldnt be the case the mot doesn't check everything and there very limited to what they can and can't do.

I've seen a car pass its brake efficiency tests with no material on its front pads it was just metal on metal.

Also if the tester isn't paying attention then they can miss stuff as well it really is a fairly basic test
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Off course the driver has the responsibility to only drive a road worthy car but if a mechanic believes something may fail in 12 months they get an advisory or it get's repaired or fails the test, and they can't guaranty something won't fail but is unlikely to fail unless millage or driving style changes you can't account for someone driving with the hand break up or an emergency break making a flat spot on the tires.

I think this says it all really.

"The MoT test costs just over £50 but it can easily increase to £200 or more with tyre replacement and repairs for wear and tear, such as brake discs. "

My MOT test is a goveremnt fixed 30.50 but advisories are not given out in the goverment (N.I) test centres
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Azagoth wrote: »
    Do people not practice basic car maintenance any more? It's not that difficult to keep your car in tip-top running order.

Really when did you last have your car up on a ramp and look at the ball joints whilst loaded and unloaded, check your wheel bearings, suspension bushes, CV and rack gaitors, exhaust for blows condition, corrosion.

Haven't read the article, 4 years is too long.
    The Old Bill don't look for anything more than tyres, lights and obviously blowing exhausts, in my experience and that's traffic officers too.
    Traffic coppers aren't what they used to be.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really when did you last have your car up on a ramp and look at the ball joints whilst loaded and unloaded, check your wheel bearings, suspension bushes, CV and rack gaitors, exhaust for blows condition, corrosion.

Last weekend actually, but then I do collect and repair classic cars. Although it was only a straightforward install of a new complete exhaust system this time and nothing too complicated.
    Forum Member
    dooglemire wrote: »
    These changes are to bring us in line with europe so what else will be changing?

Too many people rely on only the mot and see it as a ticket to not have to worry about things for the next year this shouldnt be the case the mot doesn't check everything and there very limited to what they can and can't do.

I've seen a car pass its brake efficiency tests with no material on its front pads it was just metal on metal.

Also if the tester isn't paying attention then they can miss stuff as well it really is a fairly basic test

BIB about the strength of it, service, MOT and ignore unless something goes wrong.
    I'm pretty much the same and I twirl the spanners myself, currently ripping the cylinder head off one of my cars.
    The brakes need stripping cleaning and re-greasing though, but I only know that because it's got alloy wheels.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people use the actual MOT to find out if there is anything that needs attention on their car as they either don't have a clue or are not bothered about car maintenance. Going to two years would potentially mean an extra year when faults were not sorted or worse deteriorated into a lethal state.
    Forum Member
    Azagoth wrote: »
    Last weekend actually, but then I do collect and repair classic cars. Although it was only a straightforward install of a new complete exhaust system this time and nothing too complicated.

Who else is seriously going to do the same, because you know that's what's required to do a proper job.
    Even Haynes manuals aren't what they used to be, because people don't do as much themselves as they used to.

I know a lot more people still do self servicing in the US, there's a company that rents garage facilities too, ramp space, fluid draining and recovery, etc, can't remember the name now.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a good idea, Europe has been doing that for yonks, as usual motorists in the UK get shafted up the rear-end by a greedy Government.

Cars are better made theses days, the braking systems more efficient, rust bucket cars are things of the 1980s, only something like 1% of accidents ( or is it fatalities ? ) are caused DIRECTLY by faulty cars.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a good idea, Europe has been doing that for yonks, as usual motorists in the UK get shafted up the rear-end by a greedy Government.

Cars are better made theses days, the braking systems more efficient, rust bucket cars are things of the 1980s, only something like 1% of accidents ( or is it fatalities ? ) are caused DIRECTLY by faulty cars.