Options

Your View On Fox Hunting

Comments

• Options
    PhoebidasPhoebidas Posts: 3,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the perception of hunting was that it was working class, salt of the earth types who partook, it probably wouldn't even had been banned. Can't let the toffs have their way though.

All hunting with dogs was banned and that included 'sports' followed by people from the traditional 'working class' backgrounds.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a_c_g_t wrote: »
    It’s not cost effective to control a population by keeping a pack of hounds fed and watered on the off chance that they manage to get a fox. Why do you think there’s a charge to join a hunt? If it was cost effective there wouldn’t be.
    It’s about as effective as a kid with a magnifying glass on a sunny day trying to keep an ant colony under control.
    “Hoo but it’s a traditional British sport” As we try to move into more enlightened times don’t you think it would be a natural step to stop practices that are not only ineffective but totally archaic?

If the likes of “Hugh Fernely Wittingstall” makes you in an moment of land owning aspirational fervour desire to keep live stock in your newly acquired ¼ acre garden at least plan some sort of defence against the creatures that have just as much if not more right to live there.

The use of the word “FUN” is rather an emotive word to put on an animal that has no concept of the word. Your dearly beloved acquired chicken whatever is (pun intended at this point) lower in the pecking order so it gets killed. We cannot know what goes through a fox’s mind when it see another more helpless animal in it’s territory “FUN” should not be used but using “Lack of cognitive awareness of action” is slightly better. I mean of all the fox’s I have seen I have not yet seen one that would smile.

The countryside is not as depicted in “Beatrix Potter” or “A A Milne” a fluffy care free harmonious existence, where animals have human emotions and got to School down Dingle Lane, it’s cold it’s ruthless and we are stupid not them.

I will finish my rant off by saying “I miss fox hunting” for one simple reason and one only “Fit young women in riding gear just does it for me” Hoo how I miss the Boxing Day Hunt in the village 

Another thing that people don't realise is that, if we had never had fox hunting in this country, there wouldn't actually be any countryside at all.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    MamboJimbo wrote: »
    I remember the hunting fraternity used to boast that their activity was open to one and all from every sector of society. Look, they used to say, we've got dustmen and dukes and everything in between: we recognise no class barriers, we've got plumbers and professors. Ours is a completely classless activity.

Then when the ban was threatened, overnight it became "Help, help, we're only being persecuted because we're well to do, the only people who are anti-hunting don't care about foxes, they just hate toffs."

Hypocritical bastards :mad:

I don't really see how that makes the hunters hypocritical.

All they're doing is pointing out peoples flawed assumptions about the demographic that enjoyed fox-hunting.

Must say, prior to the ban I DID think is was just a spiteful dig at "toffs" and my main concern was that it would impact the livelihoods of those involved with the sport.

However, given that the local hunt still enjoys a good gallop around the countryside that means that nobody has really lost out because of the ban and foxes don't get ripped apart by dogs any more (unless it happens "unavoidably" during a drag-hunt) so it's really win/win for all concerned.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Why do you shoot foxes?

Maybe to protect their livestock?
  • Options
    mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I take it you're for fox hunting?

I'm not particularly bothered by it.
  • Options
    a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing that people don't realise is that, if we had never had fox hunting in this country, there wouldn't actually be any countryside at all.

ROFL how on earth do you make that out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why do you shoot foxes?
    Andy2 wrote: »
    So you like to assasinate foxes, just shoot them in cold blood from a distance. And you call the hunt disgusting?

If a farmer asks me to, yeah. Suck it up.
  • Options
    MamboJimboMamboJimbo Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's right. Although fox hunting with hounds in England dates back only to the 16th century, there was no such thing as countryside before then :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Revelation of the day.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Sorry, but that is pure complete BS. Where I was born, foxes didn't even exist until they were introduced by the hunts people in order to satisfy their 'hobby'.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah, now the unpleasantness surfaces. Nice chap who shoots animals in cold blood and tells people to 'suck it up'. You're not a million miles from those 'hypocrite toffs' are you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for giving me a laugh! :D
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    My view:

I don't want to fox hunt. I don't understand why anyone would want to. But as someone who has lived in the city all my life i also wouldn't be arrogant enough to tell people who live in the countryside how to behave. I have enough understanding to know that life and culture out in the country is very different and i am not qualified to tell them what to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Revelation of the day.

I don't take a great deal of joy in it.

I'm sure most people who think that foxes are cute probably also thinks that, for example, a new-born lamb or calf is also cute too.

There are times when you have to pick one over the other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmm...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really see how that makes the hunters hypocritical.
    It's an example of moving the goalposts.

First they say that their disgraceful activity is one that's open to anybody of any social strata; yet when their vile pursuit was under threat of a ban, they chose to concentrate on the class angle and on the upper class angle specifically, confidently asserting that people who were anti-hunting (the majority of the population by a long way - didn't the Countryside Alliance get hauled over the coals for lying about opinion polls?) were motivated by class hatred rather than animal welfare.

Why did they do that? Why was it "You only hate hunting because toffs do it?" and not "You only hate hunting because mechanics and postmen do it?"
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about crow hunts? I hate them. They've even taken new born lambs here. We'd probably need flying horses and dogs though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah, now the unpleasantness surfaces. Nice chap who shoots animals in cold blood and tells people to 'suck it up'. You're not a million miles from those 'hypocrite toffs' are you?

I shoot animals in cold blood to prevent them from harming livestock. If you can't accept that, tough.

Also, I'm still not sure how the "toffs" were being particularly hypocritical. :confused:
  • Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    My view is they should have looked at Animal Experiments at the same time if they see Fox hunting as cruel.
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member

Foxes need to be culled, farmers livestock needs protecting.

Surely a marksman with a 100% mortality rate is a much better option than a bunch of dicks on horses trampling all over the countryside all day just so that can possibly kill on fox?
  • Options
    mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you like to assasinate foxes, just shoot them in cold blood from a distance. And you call the hunt disgusting?

"Assassinate" :D Nothing like a bit of anthropomorphic association to reinforce that emotive hysteria is there? Funniest post in the thread, I love it.:D
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Foxes need to be culled, farmers livestock needs protecting.

Surely a marksman with a 100% mortality rate is a much better option than a bunch of dicks on horses trampling all over the countryside all day just so that can possibly kill on fox?

i doubt that is the case. you would have to find the foxes to shoot them.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shoot animals in cold blood to prevent them from harming livestock. If you can't accept that, tough.

Also, I'm still not sure how the "toffs" were being particularly hypocritical. :confused:

Apparently they are, according to another poster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    My view:

I don't want to fox hunt. I don't understand why anyone would want to. But as someone who has lived in the city all my life i also wouldn't be arrogant enough to tell people who live in the countryside how to behave. I have enough understanding to know that life and culture out in the country is very different and i am not qualified to tell them what to do.

There's not a big problem with foxes here. I've only seen the odd one once in a blue moon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's an example of moving the goalposts.

First they say that their disgraceful activity is one that's open to anybody of any social strata; yet when their vile pursuit was under threat of a ban, they chose to concentrate on the class angle and on the upper class angle specifically, confidently asserting that people who were anti-hunting (the majority of the population by a long way - didn't the Countryside Alliance get hauled over the coals for lying about opinon polls?) were motivated by class hatred rather tha animal welfare.

Why did they do that? Why was it "You only hate hunting because toffs do it?" and not "You only hate hunting because mechanics and postmen do it?"

Yeah but that's no reflection on the hunters themselves. Rather it's a reflection on the assumptions made about them.

I think it's undeniable that a certain amount of inverted snobbery was involved in the support for a ban on hunting.