Cheers on ITV4 (Merged)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume your deliberately posting here to annoy me? My thread was sitting comfortably on top of this forum and was more accessible.
  • isabelle304isabelle304 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    I have to say - I have fewer problems dealing with Rebecca's sartorial sense than Diane's. Admittedly, Rebecca goes a bit heavy on the shoulder pads and the power suits - but so did I during the late 80s/early 90s :o Some of Diane's outfits however I just found laughingly hideous - especially the knitwear :eek:
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have to say - I have fewer problems dealing with Rebecca's sartorial sense than Diane's. Admittedly, Rebecca goes a bit heavy on the shoulder pads and the power suits - but so did I during the late 80s/early 90s :o Some of Diane's outfits however I just found laughingly hideous - especially the knitwear :eek:

I do agree. There's a certain vulnerability about Rebecca that was never evident (to me) with Diane. I always had the feeling that Diane could fend for herself when she needed to. Rebecca not so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    the two episodes today("executive sweet" and "one happy chappy in a snappy serape") are about as funny as sitcoms get.Also for this season(season 7) don't miss "jumping jerks","hot rocks" and "what's up doc".
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume your deliberately posting here to annoy me? My thread was sitting comfortably on top of this forum and was more accessible.

I'm sure it's just an oversight - just get DS to merge the two?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    look the show is all about Cliff in the end hahah :D
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another massive Cheers lover here. It's definitely timeless and in our house has passed effortlessly down the generations. I wasn't so familiar with the Coach era, but really got into it with Woody, after mum and dad recommended it and now my sons watch it too. Definitely preferred Rebecca, who's totally ditzy in real life too.

Funnily enough, I also found that I could take or leave Frasier in Cheers, yet am a hopeless addict when it comes to his own series. My sons think I have a screw loose as I already have the boxed set, but can't resist recording Frasier on Channel 4 AND Comedy Central every day! I even found the book of scripts at Christmas!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure it's just an oversight - just get DS to merge the two?

I suggested exactly the same a few weeks ago, and TheBaronSpell took it as a personal insult. :eek::confused:
  • OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Funnily enough, I also found that I could take or leave Frasier in Cheers, yet am a hopeless addict when it comes to his own series. My sons think I have a screw loose as I already have the boxed set, but can't resist recording Frasier on Channel 4 AND Comedy Central every day! I even found the book of scripts at Christmas!

You are the not the only one who keeps up with Frasier as well as Cheers, I have been watching the episodes on C4, currently 3 per day weekdays and 2 on Saturday, 2 on Sunday. I did notice that episodes are occasionally shown on Comedy Central and Comedy Central Extra, but I think watching these too would give me Frasier overload!
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Indeed not. I am posting here because I love Cheers and this is my favourite thread. :)
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After over 4 months, cant one of the mods please merge these 2 Cheers threads. Its annoying and silly watching this "bump my thread" rubbish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    caribboy wrote: »
    the two episodes today("executive sweet" and "one happy chappy in a snappy serape") are about as funny as sitcoms get.Also for this season(season 7) don't miss "jumping jerks","hot rocks" and "what's up doc".

I agree. Wednesday's two shows were really funny. I liked the way it was spread out over the two shows. Rebecca was hilarious. Even Carla (who I am warming to a lot) made me laugh. The actor that played Martin Teal was actually 23 at the time! He looked like a kid. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why was Carla so much nicer to Rebecca than she was to Diane? Was it purely a personality clash with Diane or was she a bit put out that Sam really cared about her? I think it was a mixture of the two. She was equally obnoxious to Cliff in the early days but it mellowed (a bit!) as time went on.....
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    caribboy wrote: »
    For me the funniest years of Cheers are when Kirstie Alley first joined,up until when Roger Rees(Robin Colcord) started:those years are some of the funniest years in the history of sitcoms.It's when Robin Colcord first enters the bar that for the first time in Cheers history there is a dip in quality,but a below par Cheers is still funnier than most sitcoms.

The dip came in S3 to the end of Diana. It reached a higher level than before (quicker than I recall 2st time round) in the Rebecca years and maintained it well.
    I do agree. There's a certain vulnerability about Rebecca that was never evident (to me) with Diane. I always had the feeling that Diane could fend for herself when she needed to. Rebecca not so much.

Diane was vunerable but, IMO, less believable.
    Why was Carla so much nicer to Rebecca than she was to Diane? Was it purely a personality clash with Diane or was she a bit put out that Sam really cared about her? I think it was a mixture of the two. She was equally obnoxious to Cliff in the early days but it mellowed (a bit!) as time went on.....

Diane was a poor waitress yet acted as though she was intellectually superior, in fact all round superior, to Carla (in fact, just about everyone)..

Rebecca doesn't look down on Carla.

The attitude of Carla to Cliff remains fairly consistent (if anything she shows more contempt for him as his level of spouted crap increases IIRC - the episode of Frasier when the Cranes go to Boston is superb, and shows this) - she is fine with Norm unless he says something mocking about her, he is mormally too wise to do so.
    Another massive Cheers lover here. It's definitely timeless and in our house has passed effortlessly down the generations. I wasn't so familiar with the Coach era, but really got into it with Woody, after mum and dad recommended it and now my sons watch it too. Definitely preferred Rebecca, who's totally ditzy in real life too.

Cheers is excellent but Frasier os the best US sitcom I've seen.

Didn't recall Martin Teal but two great episodes.

Mr Stone appears in an episode of Frasier - and a fine one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually don't think Diane looked down on Carla, she wanted to befriend her but was rebuffed at every attempt. Diane was a pseudo intellectual but I didn't think she had a superiority complex - at least that was how I read her character. Carla, on the other hand, was rude, abrasive and downright mean.
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed the last 2 episodes, especially the Mexican version of Norm and then near the end when Martin's aide, Denis, was revealed to be his father. Kirstie Alley as always looks lovely even when she is playing the neurotic drunk and how funny was it when Sam drew a moustache and put the sombrero on her as she slumped on the chair!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggested exactly the same a few weeks ago, and TheBaronSpell took it as a personal insult. :eek::confused:

No I took an offence to you making a sly dig in your signature about my thread. We all love 'Cheers' so I can't see why you'd need to be so disapproving of my thread. I only asked for mine not to be merged but it's proven to be popular on it's own merit. It doesn't need support from a sister thread in fairness. Just some people are deliberately irking me because they've chosen to post here for the time being despite the great efforts I've gone too in mine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No I took an offence to you making a sly dig in your signature about my thread. We all love 'Cheers' so I can't see why you'd need to be so disapproving of my thread. I only asked for mine not to be merged but it's proven to be popular on it's own merit. It doesn't need support from a sister thread in fairness. Just some people are deliberately irking me because they've chosen to post here for the time being despite the great efforts I've gone too in mine.

You really should get your facts straight before you accuse people of doing something that is blatantly not true.

As you can see from below it was not me that said that.
    No Repeats This Week!!

That's right fellow bar-flies there are no afternoon repeats and no weekend omnibus catch-ups this week due to massive snooker coverage.

The 7pm (ish) showings are the only ones we're getting, so don't miss them!

Brought to you on the friendly and original Cheers thread, where we like to help each other out.

I couldn't care less what thread we use, as long as we use just one. Who cares who started it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really should get your facts straight before you accuse people of doing something that is blatantly not true.

As you can see from below it was not me that said that.

I couldn't care less what thread we use, as long as we use just one. Who cares who started it?

Hence why you replied to me about your signature

My signature was in direct response to your silly claim about newer threads stealing your thunder! Yours is the only newer thread on Cheers. Yes we all love the show but you should have checked to see that there was already a thread going. You won't like it if they do get merged as it'll all start with my first post. I won't ask for the merger but I notice others have. I'm happy for both threads to continue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hence why you replied to me about your signature

My signature was in direct response to your silly claim about newer threads stealing your thunder! Yours is the only newer thread on Cheers. Yes we all love the show but you should have checked to see that there was already a thread going. You won't like it if they do get merged as it'll all start with my first post. I won't ask for the merger but I notice others have. I'm happy for both threads to continue.

I did not start this thread. I did not write that signature.

Can you not read?

I am not cody jarrett
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a little confused. Can you stop butting in and licking your friends stamps please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a little confused. Can you stop butting in and licking your friends stamps please.

Confused you are. Of that there is no mistake. I asked for the threads to be merged (once (only once) on the other thread) I was licking nobody's 'stamps' ....... I could not care less what name is at the top of any thread. You seem obsessed by it. :confused:

I'll stand by whatever I say, but will not be accused of things that I did not say.
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes you're confused! Look this is not a competition, it's meant to be a friendly discussion thread on a show we all love. Jimmy Connors is innocent and just got caught up in your little spat you've chosen to have with me.
    I've not posted on here for a while, at least 50 posts have been made since my last one, whereas you had to bump up your thread with childish arrows to keep it in people's minds.
    That was my private response to you that you posted on here (against DS rules) where I suggested that it was others that were calling for the threads to be merged. I did say I was happy for both to continue but as your immature attitude has continued maybe they should finally be merged.
    I do think you owe Jimmy an apology too. And just for the record we do not know each other, we're just both Cheers fans.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I was just reading up on Lillith and Frasier and when she first appeared, Bebe Neuworth was only 27 years old :eek:, also when Frasier first appeared, Kelsey Grammer was 29, both looked much older than they were in the series.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I have to admit that I have totally changed my mind on this current season. I thought it started slow and the loss of Diane effected the early episodes, but now Rebecca has realy come into her own and its great.

The biggest plus point for me is Frasier and Lilith. Frasier is my favorite show of all time, yet I had never seen Cheers before these repeats. After 10 years of mourning the loss of Frasier these episodes are like "bonus" Frasier episodes to me which I thought I would never see. The Eddie penguin episode and Carla slumber party are 2 classic Frasier / Lilith episodes. Im loving it !

"Big wheel keep on turning
    Proud mary keep on burning
    And we're rolling, rolling
    Rolling on the river "