Tottenham Hotspur fans on the forum? (Part 10)

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading on the bbc, apparently Loic Remy has been arrested by police investigating claims of gang rape. obviously he's 100% innocent until proven otherwise, but it might potentially rule out a move for him if Levy thinks he'll be too much trouble
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading on the bbc, apparently Loic Remy has been arrested by police investigating claims of gang rape. obviously he's 100% innocent until proven otherwise, but it might potentially rule out a move for him if Levy thinks he'll be too much trouble

I think he has a bit of a reputation anyway, and I think this should be enough for us to steer well clear. I'd prefer Ade over him I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    The Europa Cup is very much a poison chalice. I don't think it will do Spurs manny favours next season wasting their time in that. Hard luck.

I hate the format of it. Far too many games, and then allowing in CL failures is just ridiculous.

Chelsea could end up winning a major trophy in a competition they didn't enter. Plain stupid.
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,029
    Forum Member
    Chelsea could end up winning a major trophy in a competition they didn't enter. Plain stupid.

Same applies to Benfica, they also started in the CL this season.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How many of the winners actually started in the competition over the years?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't realise that. Complete joke. The winners should be from the teams that enter the competition, not fail in a different one.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    The diff between the CL and the Thursday Cup is about £20 mill, I believe. It's a decent striker.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes, getting into the CL should be reward enough, without getting into the EL as well.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise that. Complete joke. The winners should be from the teams that enter the competition, not fail in a different one.
    Yep, the CL is the only football competition where you are rewarded for failing to progress.
  • Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    How many of the winners actually started in the competition over the years?

Apparently only twice previously has the EL been won by CL dropouts, Atlético Madrid (beating Fulham in 2009-10) and CSKA Moscow (defeating Sporting Lisbon in 2004-05).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/apr/04/europa-league-five-reasons-to-watch
    Andy-B wrote: »
    The diff between the CL and the Thursday Cup is about £20 mill, I believe. It's a decent striker.
    From what I have read on http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/ the difference is around £20milllion at the group stage rising to over £40million between the respective winners!

Last season' EL winners (Athletico Madrid) won £9m in prize money plus around £2m in TV revenue, compared to £30m in prize money for Chelsea winning the CL plus another £25m from the TV pool. On top of that will be additional £millions in matchday and sponsorship revenue from being in the CL.

Just for getting to the group stages of the CL this season earned Chelsea and City over £27m each, compared to about £5m for our run in the EL. Hence why ARSEnal' shareholders are happy for ARSEne to stay on as manager whilst he continues to keep that lucrative revenue stream open.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hhmm .. so we get knocked from the CL into the EL by the team that goes on to essentially suffer the same fate, but due to them being rather poor.

Starting halfway through the tournament, they then go on to win it .. not that i'm slightly bitter or 'owt ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hhmm .. so we get knocked from the CL into the EL by the team that goes on to essentially suffer the same fate, but due to them being rather poor.

Starting halfway through the tournament, they then go on to win it .. not that i'm slightly bitter or 'owt ..
    Sick-making, isn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Sick-making, isn't it?

Indeed ..
  • Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And just to rub salt into our wounds, Chelsea have pocketed £7.5m from their brief 5 match stint in the EL which is 50% more than we got for playing 9 EL games!

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/uefa-prize-money-rhapsody-in-blue.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a travesty, and a joke of a tournament, which I have been consistently saying since this format came in.

Chelsea can now brag about being European winners again after failing miserably in the competition they entered.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night was depressing.
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    Cadena SER in Spain have claimed that AVB has persuaded David Villa to join. obviously it's way too early to know whether there is any truth in this or not, but Spurs fans in typical fashion are already complaining all over the forums and social media. give me strength...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's baffling, it's like people saying they wouldn't want Huntelaar. I'll gladly have Villa. Even with his injury problems he's still scored pretty regularly the last 2 seasons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/05/16/3982793/-

Reported here. Looks like we would have to pay high wages, but if he could get his fitness, and give us a couple of good seasons it would be worth it.

CL qualification seems an issue though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If CL is an issue, then, even if we get 4th (which I think is unlikely now (or so I am trying to convince myself to kill the last vestige of hope), we won't be sure of getting into the group stages for a while.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd certainly have no objection to Villa either. With this and the rumoured new deal for Bale, if both do come true, it might signal a change in Levy's thinking if he's willing to pay top wages to land some quality.
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the DM story about 4 of our players, Hudd, Walker, Lennon and Livermore being involved in a fracas with some boy band guy in a London night club last night.

Not the kind of thing us fans want to read a few days before probably our most important game of the season! Still, maybe they were there commiserating each other after having been told by AVB they will all be moved on in the summer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^I've not mentioned it because it doesn't bother me. As long as they deliver on the pitch, I don't mind if they go out for a few drinks every now and then. Who knows what they get up to in the privacy of their own home?! And it wouldn't even have made any papers if someone from One Direction wasn't involved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that was last night, they should be fine by Sunday. They can't be subject to home curfews and the stress must get to them. I've been out the night before interviews and exams (I know I wasn't an athlete but it wasn't 4 days before them).

But Lennon shouldn't be pulling waitress's hair!
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    yeah I wasn't in the slightest bit bothered about the story, except why are Lennon and Huddlestone ALWAYS involved whenever there's a Spurs drinking story?
This discussion has been closed.