What advice would you give to your younger self?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
As per the title really, I'm still reasonably young at 25 I guess but I do feel like time is passing by very quickly & it's fair to say I'm not very happy with the world right now.

I live alone, have a decent job with reasonable prospects, managed to save 15k, own my car outright, holiday often so I have a lot to be thankful for but... I'm not having a lot of fun and am feeling very lonely. Suppose a recent nasty break up has a lot to do with it but it's very hard to meet people where I live that I click with. Believe me I have tried but all I seem to be able to find is fun in the bedroom which I don't want. I have joined groups but

Just intrigued really, if you look back what would you have done differently?

I'm thinking about giving everything up and jumping on a plane, well aware that could make me feel even more lonely and I'd have to come home one day, probably to nothing but maybe the experience would be worth it and who knows what could happen.

Right now I get up, go to work, come home... I'm 25!!

Comments

• pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not much older than you, but I would say stop putting yourself under so much pressure to be happy and carefree, everything will come to you in it's own time, being popular isn't the be all and end all of everything, and all those facebook posts and tv adverts with smiling happy friends is just fiction. Find what you enjoy, and be comfortable doing it, even if it is having a bath and a night in front of a book....no one is more worthy than you because they have more of a social life.

Society makes us feel worthless if we don't act and look eternally young. Well in your twenties many of us have a little crisis when we lose our childhood and uni friends, and haven't established ourselves in a workplace to make work friends. We aren't children or teenagers anymore, and shouldn't have to act like we are to make everyone else happy.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,603
    Forum Member
    Great question! Wish I could go back to when I was your age (I'm in the 'upper' age bracket) and knowing what I know now. I never gave a thought to the future, never imagined for one moment what it was going to be like 'being old'. If I could go back, I would be more appreciative of my parents and try harder to see things from their point of view rather than just my own. I would be calmer, generally more thoughtful, and nicer. The young can be so selfish and inward thinking - or maybe that was just me. :blush: I was mad about travelling and went to work abroad, as well as having about 3 holidays abroad a year :D I was never in a rush to settledown - far too much going on in the world to experience, and given my time again, would probably stay single and live a life of freedom. I would say go for it, travel and have fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone gets through life with no regrets, I would be amazed.

I wish I knew that when I was younger though. I was worried about doing the wrong thing and derailing my life. Now I wish I hadn't worried about it all.

Some people will say to buy a house immediately and others will say, go travelling. Maybe even go travelling and work at the same time.

I've done both the travel thing and the house thing and they both have their pros and cons. I've also had periods where I felt lonely too.

So I can only say to follow your heart wherever it leads - within reason of course.

Good luck with your future goals - whatever they may be.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have some patience and concentrate on one thing at a time - don't spread yourself too thinly.

And, in an ideal world, spend more time with your Dad.
  • BarnacleHead12BarnacleHead12 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I'm your age so any advice I would give to my younger self probably wouldn't be much help to you right now, but I'd reassure my teenage self that school isn't representative of how real life works and that people get nicer past their teens.
    And I'd tell myself to be a but more trusting with guys -I dicked around so many when I was younger because I thought I had to screw them over before they could do it to me. And looking back, most of them were way nicer and more mature than I was, but I was very scared of getting hurt.

What I would say is don't do anything too drastic when you've just had a breakup. Things like that can really make everything seem crappy but you don't wanna burn your bridges without thinking it through very carefully -unless you were thinking of going travelling anyway. Do you have friends nearby that you can get together with?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Dont get married aged 22 and that was 38 years ago never learnt on the second now
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to go back and give myself some advice but I wouldnt have taken any damn notice as I thought I knew it all :D
  • PessimisticPessimistic Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I always remember thinking if they ever invent a time machine in the future I hope my older self would come back and tell me everything will work out fine...and maybe give me the lottery numbers too ;)

Again i'm only slightly older than you OP and I know people will offer advice that sounds great or advice you'll just ignore. What you need to try to do is live your life for you and no one else. Forget everyone else's opinions on what you should or shouldn't do (even mine if you so choose), you only get one life so why spend it worrying. Find those things and those people you love and focus on that for now. Things almost always fall into place eventually, but you'll be very happy and very lonely many times in your life.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'da gone up to myself in the school's bathroom and said "after you've washed his blood off your hands you should run away" - woulda lead to an interesting future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep fit and healthy, it's easier to stay the right weight than have to lose weight.

Be brave and have a go at new things.

Friends and family are important, try and chose the rights ones and look after these relationships.

Remember that you will regret more things you didn't do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To keep my mouth shut and mind my own busines. In the past my mouth has got me in a lot of trouble.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd tell her to speak up, tell her to shout out,
    Talk a bit louder, be a bit prouder,
    Tell her she's beautiful, wonderful,
    Everything she doesn't see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Personally I wouldn't change anything. I've had bad experienced and gotten myself into terrible situations but were it not for them I wouldn't be where I am now. I wouldn't have my son, I wouldn't have my house, I wouldn't appreciate my education, I wouldn't have the experiences that had taught me to appreciate what I have, and fortunately it's not too late for me appreciate those things and people.

Live and learn I say.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Don't fall in love too easily.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    sometimes life will shit on you, other times you`ll just shit on yourself, buy plenty of loo roll.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Don't worry so much. Relax a little more. Give up smoking. When you've found a good woman, stick with her, don't keep on looking for 'something better'.
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friends, real friends that is, are important. Try and keep in touch with them. It is too easy to lose contact with people we love. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Pity we have to go through all the rubbish first though to discover than one. Take your time over your choices and enjoy your life. Grab new experiences with both hands. :)
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't change much, the past has helped create the present and the present will help create the future. If it wasn't for the stuff I did then I wouldn't be who and where I am today.

There are two things that I would say to my younger self

1) never ever get credit/store cards until you have put money aside each month for savings and learnt to budget.

2) Don't stop the exercise as weight creeps on slowly but it is even slower and harder to lose.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Learn at least one foreign language.

Learn to play at least one musical instrument.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it would be the following....

1) Control your temper
    2) Think things through completely
    3) Don't marry that woman
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    If you have £15k in savings then I would advise you to try and get a property sooner rather than later.

I spent my 20s travelling and living it up, and now I'm struggling to get back on the property ladder. Whereas if I had the right idea when i was younger I would have bought a house first and then rented it out while travelling so I would have something to come back to.

Being in your late 30s with no assets makes it harder to start again.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Shag his brother instead.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd probably say to a 16 year old Me, STOP WATCHING TELEVISION and get out more.

I spent far too much of my youth watching telly.
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I'd know that everyone else lacked confidence just as much as I did - and that people were far more worried about what others thought of them than they were worried about what I was doing. I think I would have been a little less self conscious had I known that.

I wish I hadn't gone through my 20s wishing I was thinner, taller, better looking or whatever - I look back on photos now and realise I looked great (and much thinner than I felt!).

I'd tell myself that it's mostly the things that I didn't do that I had the most regrets about - fear is temporary, regrets can last forever - so I would have advised myself to go for it and take every opportunity that came my way.

The only area where this isn't true is with relationships. I look back at my younger self and wish I'd been a little less selfish and a bit more caring with my family. I wish I'd recognised the value of having great family to support me. Fortunately I've made up for it since! It wouldn't have done my teenage self any harm to have had a stronger sense of duty to my family.

The thing is though that you can't know these things - you acquire this knowledge through experience and there's no short cut. There is this myth out there that the days of your youth are the best of your life. I don't think that's true. These days I am happier in my own skin, I know who I am (and what I'm not), I am more confident, I care less about what other people think and about trivial stuff (like whether I've gained a few pounds). I have greater financial security and better relationships with my friends and family. I've learned how to compromise and manage my frustrations. I've learned how to take pleasure in small things (a sunny day, a nice glass of wine, a beautiful piece of music). So my main message to my younger self would be that life gets richer and more enjoyable as you get older so stop worrying and enjoy it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    You will regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did so take every opportunity and give it 100%.