David Walliams: Is he talented?

Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I understand that humor is very subjective, but I honestly cannot understand this man's popularity with the public. I never liked 'Little Britain' much, but Matt Lucas always seemed the more talented of the two to me.
Walliams has managed to carve out a place for himself in showbusiness, yet always seems to me to be like an untalented wannabe that managed to slip under the wire :D Many people I know cannot stand him either, he gives me the creeps a bit too. So what do people think, is he a funny and talented man, or simply a chancer that got lucky?

Comments

• BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like him, both as a comedian and a person. I also like that he's not a people pleaser.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a fan either. He seems to play the same character in whatever show he's in. You almost expect one of his catchphrases to come out! It's the voice.

He's been lucky to stay in work & stay in the public eye rather than be genuinely talented, as are so many mediocre celebrities
  • D_PeugeotD_Peugeot Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cannot stand him.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as above
  • orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

completely unfunny. Don't rate his sidekick Matt Lucas either
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly cannot understand this man's popularity with the public.
    who says he's popular with the public? Don't judge it by appearances on the Beeb. They'll do anything to tick a minority box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

completely unfunny. Don't rate his sidekick Matt Lucas either

Lucas always comes across as a very smug, arrogant kind of person. Again, I find him a one-trick pony who got lucky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who says he's popular with the public? Don't judge it by appearances on the Beeb. They'll do anything to tick a minority box.

But isn't he a white, slightly middle class, straight male?!? :confused:
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talented what is the question.
  • D_PeugeotD_Peugeot Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt Lucas is okay. I think he has genuine comedy talent. Walliams doesn't, he's played basically the same OTT camp character since Anthony Cream Jnr in Dennis Pennis.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Lucas always comes across as a very smug, arrogant kind of person. Again, I find him a one-trick pony who got lucky.

This is what me and a friend were saying a few days ago, he's slipped under the wire and should be confronted as to his legitimacy as a performer:D

He was interviewed by Ronnie Corbett a few years back when he did his comedy map of Britain. Walliams was saying how much he loved the Two Ronnies growing up, amongst others, and i just thought , 'Yes, that's what you are, a kid that wanted to emulate his comedy heroes, except with none of the talent, or skill' He certainly has been lucky to get this far. Also he and Lucas started out doing little sketches, in one of which they were satirizing Wood and Walters, ie 'As Seen on TV' the cheek of those two thinking they have an ounce of the talent that those great ladies have>:(
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan.smarmy and unfunny.
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, yes and no. His sexual orientation is no secret, least of all on fora like this one.

Not only do I find him entirely unfunny, I also find him equally repellant (and this is nothing to do with the sentence above). in looks, manner and character. Simply, he makes my skin crawl and makes me feel unclean in a manner that goes way beyond mere dislike. I admire the work he's done for charity, but the man himself makes me shudder. Smug, fawning and way too pleased with himself.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Slightly middle class, slightly straight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One trick pony, taking the p..s out of gay men, amazing he get's away with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Bellagio wrote: »
    Not only do I find him entirely unfunny, I also find him equally repellant (and this is nothing to do with the sentence above). in looks, manner and character. Simply, he makes my skin crawl and makes me feel unclean in a manner that goes way beyond mere dislike. I admire the work he's done for charity, but the man himself makes me shudder. Smug, fawning and way too pleased with himself.

That seems perhaps a little excessive..
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    After all these years, I still remain undecided about him.

He made me laugh in Little Britain, but not in much else, least of all with his Simon Cowell 'my Simon' thing.

He does a lot for charity, loves animals, Lara loves him, he seems kind and generous - but there is still something (apart from him looking smarmy) that I can't pinpoint.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After all these years, I still remain undecided about him.

He made me laugh in Little Britain, but not in much else, least of all with his Simon Cowell 'my Simon' thing.

He does a lot for charity, loves animals, Lara loves him, he seems kind and generous - but there is still something (apart from him looking smarmy) that I can't pinpoint.

I agree with this.

The first 2 series of LB were fantastic; the 3rd one was terrible and should never have been commissioned - how many times can an old lady piss herself in the supermarket?

No idea how 'Come Fly with me' was ever commissioned.

Rock Profiles was GENIUS.

But there is something 'off' about him and I don't know why.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellagio wrote: »
    Yes, yes and no. His sexual orientation is no secret, least of all on fora like this one.

I totally agree with what you say here. I find him very creepy. I also remember being so annoyed when he popped up in that Stephen polliakoff drama 'Capturing Mary' abour 4 or 5 years ago. It was a very good drama, and Maggie Smith was excellent, but he had to come along and mug his way through a few scenes, it really put me off.>:( He certainly is no better at straight drama than comedy.
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan either. He seems to play the same character in whatever show he's in. You almost expect one of his catchphrases to come out! It's the voice.

He's been lucky to stay in work & stay in the public eye rather than be genuinely talented, as are so many mediocre celebrities

Really? I presume you have only watched his light comedy shows on tv and are unaware of his stage roles. It would be very hard for anyone to say he played the 'same character' in Pinter's No Man's Land as, for e.g., Little Britain. Add his writing and charitable work and advocacy and I would say he is one of the better rounded performers working at his level today and enormously talented.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he seems very smug.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot stand this man! He literally makes my skin crawl and I think there is something extremely strange about him. I had to stop watching Britain's Got Talent because of him (not that the show is worth watching anymore anyway, but still) and won't watch anything he is involved with.

He seemed to get unbearably smug after the Thames swim. I accept that was a great thing for someone to do but he's been inescapable since and the universal raging hard-on seemingly everyone in showbiz has for him is nauseating.
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? I presume you have only watched his light comedy shows on tv and are unaware of his stage roles. It would be very hard for anyone to say he played the 'same character' in Pinter's No Man's Land as, for e.g., Little Britain. Add his writing and charitable work and advocacy and I would say he is one of the better rounded performers working at his level today and enormously talented.

Agree. I think he's very talented and I actually like his 'oddness' which, to me, is far more him creating a distance between his public and private self, rather than, as seen by others, him hiding something. He comes across as very driven, both professionally and personally. And quite a complex character. As also is Matt Lucas.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one has mentioned Big School, which was surprising good. He wasn't smug just acting awkward in it.
  • Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Wuthering wrote: »
    I cannot stand this man! He literally makes my skin crawl and I think there is something extremely strange about him. I had to stop watching Britain's Got Talent because of him (not that the show is worth watching anymore anyway, but still) and won't watch anything he is involved with.

He seemed to get unbearably smug after the Thames swim. I accept that was a great thing for someone to do but he's been inescapable since and the universal raging hard-on seemingly everyone in showbiz has for him is nauseating.

Glad I'm not the only one. I can't put my finger on it, there's just something about him.