Ranking COD games (single player only)

Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So the ranking of AC games in another thread inspired me to do one for Call of Duty SIngle Player. We live in a society of 'what have you done for me lately?' and I know there are a lot of haters for this franchise because of the last few games but we must remember what COD has done for first-person shooters. I still prefer it to Battlefield. Please, let's try to keep the thread balanced and not turn it into a COD bash fest. I want to see what people generally think of each game and not the franchise overall and the direction it has taken. Anyway, here is my list from best to worst:

CO1 . This was my first ever COD game and still the best. Great atmosphere, great era, over how simple the guns are and how you recognise each one whereas now there's like a million different assault rifles and they all feel the same. Each mission design is completely different with a great story. The Russian segments are the best but I do enjoy the undercover ship mission. Just a wonderful game. Most people haven't played it and probably started from COD4 so this would seem "dated" by comparison but for me, as an introduction to the franchise, it was amazing.

Black Ops 1. Each mission is unique from weather, atmosphere, light, dark. A great story even when its written by the terrible David S. Goyer.

COD4. Everyone's favourite. Good story and some great missions.

Modern Warfare 2. I think this is where gameplay becomes more challenging with enemies having the common sense to flank and trap you in your position. I LOVE the Burger Town mission and it has perhaps the best ending of the series.

COD 2. More of the same of COD1 although I think it was the first to introduce the new rule of taking cover to heal so that's a plus.

Black Ops 2. has it's moments but very very few. I do like the strike force missions and the decision making feature but it felt gimmicky.

Modern Warfare 3. Silly. Cheesy. Predictable. Samey.

World at War. Felt like filler. Tries to go back to a more simpler time with its era but with the new mechanics and ultimately just feels really dull.

COD 3. AWFUL! Stupid, loud, poorly paced missions and soooooo long. Oh my God, I thought it would never end and the last mission is so anti-climactic I laughed. I'm so glad I got this cheap. One of the worst games I've ever played.

I haven't played Ghosts yet, I want to wait until it comes down under £20 but I'm sure, given how good the franchise is overall, it will be a great game. Over to you.

Comments

• YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Damn, I was just going to bash CoD but you asked nicely so I won't. :)

Ah what the hell, I was going to say: Whhaaatt??? CoD has single player campaigns ???? :o:o:p

On topic, I only played Black Ops single player so that's first, last and everything in between.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MW2
    WAW
    BO1
    MW/COD4
    BO2
    MW3
    GHOSTS

Won't buy AW
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    I haven't played Ghosts yet, I want to wait until it comes down under £20 but I'm sure, given how good the franchise is overall, it will be a great game. Over to you.

It's not - it is absolute rubbish. A truly appalling SP game :(

Modern Warfare is my no. 1 COD game.

I have hope that Advanced Warfare will be good, given the next gen focus and the dev time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cod4
    Bo1
    Waw
    Bo2
    Ghosts
    Mw3
    Mw2
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    Call Of Duty 4
    Call Of Duty 2
    Call Of Duty
    Call Of Duty United Offensive (Expansion)
    World At War
    Modern Warfare 2
    Black Ops
    Modern Warfare 3
    Call Of Duty 3
    Not played SP on Black Ops 2 or Ghosts.

I tend to prefer the older titles, Think its been downhill since MW2.

I also really liked World At War both online & Single Player. It came after COD4 so a lot of people were down on it going back to WW2 & it was in favor to bash Treyarch after the mess that was COD3. However I always felt that W@W was just as good as the COD titles that had come before it & it's always been one of the COD games i've enjoyed the most online, Only one I bothered prestiging in.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MW
    Black Ops
    MW2
    WaW
    MW3
    CoD2
    Black Ops 2
    Ghosts
    CoD3
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I liked the WW2 era call of duties, but too be honest all the modern ones blur into one. Story of all of them has been crap.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cod. In. Space
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best first:
    COD 2
    World at War
    BlOps
    COD 4 MW
    MW2
    COD 1
    MW3
    BlOps 2
    Ghosts
    COD 3
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Modern Warfare 2
    World At War
    Black Ops
    Black Ops 2
    Call Of Duty
    Modern Warfare 3
    Modern Warfare
    Ghosts

I haven't played COD 2 or 3 but I think MW2 was outstanding (for a COD title). At the end of the game I was so eager to go after Makarov. Unfortunately MW3 was not as good as I had hoped but I enjoyed it more than MW.

I also thought Black Ops was great and I liked how it linked with the World At War plotline which I enjoyed almost as much as MW2. I liked the variable plots of BO2 which I wouldn't mind seeing return in the upcoming Advanced Warfare.

As for Ghosts... it's not that bad. The sections in space were cool (there are only 2 of them) but there isn't really any part of the game that stands out and that goes both for gameplay and story.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    CoD4
    CoD2
    BlOps
    MW2
    WaW
    CoD1
    MW3
    BlOps2
    Ghosts
    CoD3
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I didn't know WAW and COD2 were so popular. I'm getting quite nervous that people are ranking Ghosts just above COD3 LOL
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting. I didn't know WAW and COD2 were so popular. I'm getting quite nervous that people are ranking Ghosts just above COD3 LOL

I've said this before in another thread...

If COD4MW is like a(n early) Michael Bay blockbuster, Ghosts is more like Battleship or something by The Asylum.

Devoid of merit. Dull. A chore to play.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »

If COD4MW is like a(n early) Michael Bay blockbuster, Ghosts is more like Battleship or something by The Asylum.

I'd say Cod4:MW is like the terminator 2 of action films, in that what came before wasn't bad but this one took things to a whole new level

I'd say Black Ops 2 is more like a Bay Blockbuster, every level is just action set piece after set piece, explosion after explosion, over the top characters and names namely Tony Todd's repeated use of the word cocksucker and the sillyness of part of the game taking place on the 'USS Obama', the now cliche movie troupe of the villain planning to get caught etc its my favourite CoD game overall and the single player probably just beats COD4 into second place in terms of my favourite

Ghosts to be felt like one of the clips episodes we used to get on TV, only they managed to take all the best set pieces from previous CoD, make them with slightly better graphics (I was playing on PS4) but somehow make the less epic or just entirely boring
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I rated Ghosts above CoD 3 because CoD was a glitchy mess for me. It was such a pain trying to headshot someone only to find there was an invisible wall in front of them. :( I found it far more annoying than WaW on veteran.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »

Am I the only one who liked Battleship ?
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Bearing in mind I've not played them all, in terms of single player I would rate:

1) COD: Black Ops II (must stress I haven't completed it yet but what I have played inc. Zombies has been excellent)
    2) COD: Modern Warfare (a classic I guess, quite replayable)
    3) COD Modern Warfare II (when it first came out it was superb)
    4) COD: Black Ops (boring, however on a second playthrough I've enjoyed it far more)
    5) COD: World at War (didn't complete, too boring)

I also recently bought COD 2 on 360 as some people regard it as their favourite in SP, I'm yet to play it but if it's anything special I'll be sure to mention it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bearing in mind I've not played them all, in terms of single player I would rate:

1) COD: Black Ops II (must stress I haven't completed it yet but what I have played inc. Zombies has been excellent)
    2) COD: Modern Warfare (a classic I guess, quite replayable)
    3) COD Modern Warfare II (when it first came out it was superb)
    4) COD: Black Ops (boring, however on a second playthrough I've enjoyed it far more)
    5) COD: World at War (didn't complete, too boring)

I also recently bought COD 2 on 360 as some people regard it as their favourite in SP, I'm yet to play it but if it's anything special I'll be sure to mention it.

Just my opinion if you like what you have played so far you should definitely finish it, every mission just gets more crazy and over the top as it goes on
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Just my opinion if you like what you have played so far you should definitely finish it, every mission just gets more crazy and over the top as it goes on

Ah ok cool I'll look forward to it, I'm only about 3 missions in but I've already replayed that awesome laboratory mission a few times. Reassuring to hear since reading other people's choices it doesn't seem like many people enjoyed it a great deal. ;)
  • D_PeugeotD_Peugeot Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd go for:

MW
    MW2
    COD2
    WaW
    MW3
    COD
    COD3
    BO
    BO2
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai: really don't bother with Ghosts. Rent it or something, it's not even worth 20 quid!
  • ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COD II - Some of the africa missions are great and theres not many games where you get chance to be armed with a bren gun or a lee-enfield rifle. If fact, the amount of bolt action non-scoped rifles makes this game brilliant fun to play through.

Black Ops - I liked the story even though the guns are not correct. (eg. Running around a 1963 cosmodrome with a Mp5 with laser sights or the final mission set in 1968 using a 1980's FAMAS rifle).

World at War - Good fun on the American Pacific levels. Again, a setting very rarely used in shooters. The Eastern front missions I found dull though and theres too many automatic weapons for my liking.

Modern Warfare 3 - Bad fan fiction for a story. Didn't like the game overall to be honest but played it a few times and liked the solo mission mode.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MW/CoD4 is the only campaign I have finished. I gave up on Modern 2 and 3 and never even tried BlOps/2 or Ghosts.

the CoD games are meant for MP.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    None of them beat James Pond 2: RoboCod of course..
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    COD1 was the best because it used health packs.