Who Remembers Battersea Fun Fair

Wish they would bring it back! :(

Comments

• slade1slade1 Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't it close after some accident with a roller coaster?
  • GaryBGaryB Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went there a few times as a kid. The last time not long before the accident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battersea_Park#Battersea_fun_fair
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember the tree walk in Battersea Park, I bet Health and Safety would have a field day, if that was still in place!
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember as a young child going on the big dipper just a few weeks before the tragic accident.
  • Forever AwkwardForever Awkward Posts: 3,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up in central London and have lovely memories of Battersea Park Funfair. Every time I go to Battersea Park (usually with my mum who has rehomed three dogs from Battersea Dogs and Cats Home) I remember the funfair and my mum always makes the comment that it was such a shame that they closed it.

I remember clearly going there often (weekends, Bank holidays, summer holidays) with my parents, uncles, aunts and cousins - the last time when I was 7 years old.

I was too little at the time to appreciate what had happened. So young in fact that I thought the headline branding the Big Dipper "A Death Trap" meant that someone had actually sabotaged the ride and (in my mind) planted a trap there to kill the children - 5 children died in the accident on the Big Dipper in May 1972 when a train broke down on the rise, rolled backwards to the "station" and ploughed into the other train.

These days, I can't help but think that closing the fun fair was an overreaction to what had happened. Yes, it was serious and warranted the enquiry that followed and anyone with half a heart has to have sympathy for the children and their families but I can't help but think that if the funfair had been a private venture (such as Chessington, Thorpe Park or Alton Towers these days) instead of GLC run, would it have closed down? The funfair stayed open for two years after the accident but without the Big Dipper that had become its major attraction. The fall in visitor numbers together with the rise in vandalism (there was no night security at the site and there was even the theory that the accident had happened as a result of undetected vandalism on the tracks the night before) and the GLC's reluctance to subsidise security for the fun fair forced its regrettable closure.

I have often thought that I would like them to build a new funfair in Battersea Park but I can't help but think that if they did, it would be less of the traditional British funfair and more of the trashy, flash, plastic US style theme park.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    tiger feet wrote: »
    I remember as a young child going on the big dipper just a few weeks before the tragic accident.

Yes I was there shortly before as well, often used to go - it was a great place. :)
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every time we visited London, I demanded a trip to Battersea Funfair. In fact, the Big Dipper was the first rollercoaster I ever went on.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Growing up in London in the earkly 60s I loved Battersea funfair.

Can't remember going on the Big Dipper - maybe I was too small. But I do remember the water chute and grotto.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to stamd by the window at the side of teh water chute... I was always to scared to go on it though... :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the fun fair and the accident.

I also remember the first plans for the Battersea power station redevelopment was going to be a big theme park to replace the fun fair! So long ago now!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Justabloke wrote: »
    I used to stamd by the window at the side of teh water chute... I was always to scared to go on it though... :o

I did that too. I was very small, and it was always a treat for me (I lived in Sarf London).

Last time I went it was with my big brother and his girlfriend to see a public appearance by Michael Medwin, who was a TV star and a big pin-up at the time.
  • merlinbusmerlinbus Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    I was born in Savona Street, just round the corner from BatterseaPark, in the 40`s. We later moved to Tooting, but during my young days and into my teens, Battersea Park had many happy memories. As a youngster, I`d spend ages just staring at the Guinness clock and going for a walk up in the Tree Walk. In the evenings, the fair and the area around was all lit up beautifully. Then in my teens, it was to the fun fair to spend as much time as possible, doing as many rides as possible, along with showing off to any female within a hundred yards. A great place, with many happy memories and sadly missed.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I was brought up in Battersea too, just the other side of Battersea Park Road, (in the late 40's and 50's)so I was always in Battersea Park. I loved the Fun Fair and I seem to remember the Tree Walk was in the Festival Gardens. Oh ! happy days.

Edit: and my secondary school was in Tooting, Ensham school for girls in Franciscan Road.!
  • snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,089
    Forum Member
    I remember it too
  • Isle_Of_WeatherIsle_Of_Weather Posts: 4,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is Battersea in London?

:rolleyes:
  • SuperUnleadedSuperUnleaded Posts: 3,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Battersea zoo still exist, with all those cute farm animals, wallabies and meerkats? :)

Haven't been since '98.
  • GaryBGaryB Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merlinbus wrote: »
    I was born in Savona Street, just round the corner from BatterseaPark, in the 40`s.

My dad was born in Savona Street in 1936.
  • slade1slade1 Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remeber it well. Done a bit of googling and this book looks as though it might be good

http://www.batterseafunfair.co.uk/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't wait to be old enough to go - and by the time I was old enough, it had shut :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Caterpillar, the Rotor, the Ghost Train, the huge merry-go-round by the entrance.

Candy floss and toffee apples.

The iron rotating exit gates near the children's zoo where if you were thin enough and didn't provoke too much attention you could squeeze into the funfair for free.

The little train that ran from the Chelsea Bridge entrance around to the sports ground and beyond, past the deer enclosure.
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Hancock wrote: »
    I remember the tree walk in Battersea Park, I bet Health and Safety would have a field day, if that was still in place!

I was brought up in Battersea and I remember the tree walk too but whenever I mention it to anyone I'm sure they think I'm making it up, so thank you for giving me back my marbles!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 137A bus on summer weekends and bank holidays. That was a special route, running from Sloane Square to the roundabout by the funfair's entrance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    i used to work there
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    RadioRob wrote: »
    The 137A bus on summer weekends and bank holidays. That was a special route, running from Sloane Square to the roundabout by the funfair's entrance.
    i worked there in 1973 and 74 the year it closed, am currently trying to find and contact any one who worked there in the 1970.s you were obviously very familiar with the layout of the funfair rob, did you work there !
  • TraynorTraynor Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was brought up in Battersea and I remember the tree walk too but whenever I mention it to anyone I'm sure they think I'm making it up, so thank you for giving me back my marbles!

Yes, as a Battersea (Queenstown Road) lad myself in the 60's, I have many fond memories of the park including the miniature ride-on railway,being chased by the park keeper for walking on the grass :D and the big adventure playground.