Echo Beach!!

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These cast members seem to think it is a drama. They obviously do not think it is taking the mick out of other soaps.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a84227/the-young-cast-of-echo-beach.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Is Echo Beach or Moving Wallpaper repeated at all? I was out tonight and totally forgot to record them!
  • GratingCheeseGratingCheese Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucylock wrote: »
    These cast members seem to think it is a drama. They obviously do not think it is taking the mick out of other soaps.

Good God, just how naive are they?
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy B wrote: »
    EB is on puppet strings from MW, Jonathan Pope carelessly planned everything in a 2 week deadline. EB was the result of bad production, in which MW will attempt to improve/fix Echo Beach from it's mistake in ep 1.

Echo Beach = not to be taken seriously as a soap, it's just demonstrating the results of the changes they make in Moving Wallpaper.

This kinda shows what happens to soaps with a careless producer.. ;)

and this is suppose to run for 12 weeks ?

Seems noone told any TV Guide magazines that this was suppose to be a spoof !

Painful !!

Will find a better use of my time next week
  • Andy BAndy B Posts: 15,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and this is suppose to run for 12 weeks ?

Thats what I thought at first, but it seems to be on for 12 days.
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dot Cotton wrote: »
    its Crossroads meets Home and Away.!!!!!!

With Acorn Antiques:eek:, as if the writers planned the wooden acting:rolleyes:

Here's hoping the next instalment of MW will be reading the spoof reviews of EB - checking the ratings, sacking staff and cast last minute. I'm expecting a Bobby Ewing shower scene in the future and as a tribute to other soaps a character returns but is played by a completely different actor! Also a dramatic sea scene in preparation for the "soap awards":D

Worth a second view for sure.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly cannot believe that some people actually thought that EB was a serious new soap! Where is their sense of irony, its taking the piss out of soaps. Its meant to be crap.

Have you tried telling that to its makers ? Moving Wallpaper is the mockumentary spoof not Echo Beach

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7172340.stm

The result of that note-taking is Moving Wallpaper, a spoof behind-the-scenes expose that promises to do for soaps what Drop The Dead Donkey did for news.

The twist is that Echo Beach - which stars Jason Donovan and Martine McCutcheon - is a real soap, and will be shown back-to-back with Moving Wallpaper on ITV1 for 12 weeks from Thursday.

But Tony Jordan is convinced the concept is easier to sell on screen than it is on paper.

"It's not breaking new ground," he concludes. "It's a sitcom and a soap."
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    As a soap - it was awful, as a spoof of a soap, it was still awful. It just didnt work for me at all.

It will be interesting to see what the ratings are for tonights episode, as this will show how well it has done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Honestly some of you people that are slating EB:yawn: ...it is meant to be crap thats the whole point to it. If you watch MW you can understand why. In tonights ep of MW they will probably discuss how crap EB was and try to make it better for the next ep!!!
  • ThumbolinaThumbolina Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it. Although it was a bit predictable this added to my enjoyment. I hope it stays at that time slot. Fluffy viewing is relaxing before bed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly cannot believe that some people actually thought that EB was a serious new soap! Where is their sense of irony, its taking the piss out of soaps. Its meant to be crap.

From someone who has worked in telly production and commisioning, the liklihood that anyone would deliberately choose to make a crap soap is almost laughable. I can imagine they take it very seriously, TV people take everything they do very seriously.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I thought both "Moving Wallpaper" & Echo Beach" were spot on.
    I imagined the other "real" soaps to be just like that, especially when they're planning their storylines around the "soap awards" LOL
    I looked out for Martine's pink dress, the lad on the motorbike, Suzie Amy's line......which she was rewarded with after her "snow job" :)
    We loved it even though we're not in their "captive audience age range of 22"....I'm 36, husbands 40 & daughter's 13 - she loved it, although she didn't get it at first.

I look forward to tonight's episodes :D
  • katyb0408katyb0408 Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    least we now know where all the old soap actors whose original characters got killed off have gone. they couldnt go back to their own soaps so this is like a safe place for all ex dead soapies to go
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that there is a connection between Moving wallpaper and the 'silly' decisions Jon Pope makes and how they make the soap we see, but it was still not great as wither a serious soap, or a bad one... as one poster said, a good spoof soap is something like Acorn antiques...

I think saying its meant to be bad is making a few excuses... Now Eldorado was bad... Crossroads was bad... There was huges mistakes in both, but for Echo Beach most things were right - the cast CAN act (at least in other things) the sets don't wobble etc... its just everything about seemed wrong... The fake american or OZ soap feel, the hey we're pretending its summer when its the middle of winter... the endless shots of cliff top houses and bikes one beaches and musical interludes - what was that all about - I think there was about 10 mins of actual dialogue in the whole thing and what there was made no sense! The scene with jason and martine just marched out of nowhere... Nothing happened...

In fact, and this may be their idea of taking irony to the extreme, but given the Moving wallpaper thing is meant to take the mick out of bad soaps, becuase people just have them on the in background... I went on digital spy on my phonme during the ad break and didn't even realise the show had started again - that's how little it grabbed my attention.

the 'title' bit when the break comes is not loud or obvious enough... when it comes up on Corrie you know its happened.

But for me, the biggest problem was there wasn't a single character i thought looked interesting... No one stood out... No stud, no bitch, no one was funny... nothing... Yes its early days and hard to fit that much into half an hour but all i can remember this morning is the lovely scenery!

I will watch tonight, but don't fancy its chances much... We'll see tho
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it, and I dont fall into the Single, Female, aged 22 , working in Media demographic :o:D

Moving wallpaper was fantastic, taking the p**s out of ITV and soaps
    Echo Beach itself, well, I would say this was average, I need to see another episode too make up my mind

I cant decide if Echo Beach is to be taken seriously or not

The two shows work well together

The whole thing just seems to be having a laugh at soaps

IMO, Anyway
  • rspcaboi69rspcaboi69 Posts: 3,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totem_Bern wrote: »
    I see that there is a connection between Moving wallpaper and the 'silly' decisions Jon Pope makes and how they make the soap we see, but it was still not great as wither a serious soap, or a bad one... as one poster said, a good spoof soap is something like Acorn antiques...

I think saying its meant to be bad is making a few excuses... Now Eldorado was bad... Crossroads was bad... There was huges mistakes in both, but for Echo Beach most things were right - the cast CAN act (at least in other things) the sets don't wobble etc... its just everything about seemed wrong... The fake american or OZ soap feel, the hey we're pretending its summer when its the middle of winter... the endless shots of cliff top houses and bikes one beaches and musical interludes - what was that all about - I think there was about 10 mins of actual dialogue in the whole thing and what there was made no sense! The scene with jason and martine just marched out of nowhere... Nothing happened...

In fact, and this may be their idea of taking irony to the extreme, but given the Moving wallpaper thing is meant to take the mick out of bad soaps, becuase people just have them on the in background... I went on digital spy on my phonme during the ad break and didn't even realise the show had started again - that's how little it grabbed my attention.

the 'title' bit when the break comes is not loud or obvious enough... when it comes up on Corrie you know its happened.

But for me, the biggest problem was there wasn't a single character i thought looked interesting... No one stood out... No stud, no bitch, no one was funny... nothing... Yes its early days and hard to fit that much into half an hour but all i can remember this morning is the lovely scenery!

I will watch tonight, but don't fancy its chances much... We'll see tho

Were we watching the same programme? cos I think all the shots of the beach, cliffs, bikes, ect helped make it for me.... I loved the whole feel of echo beach...loved the gags from Moving Wallpaper like the little girl, the wet rooms, Susie Amy gettng her line in the pub.... This is only episode one, give it chance for god sake!!!

I'm sure episode one of Eastenders was crap....
  • *Melissa**Melissa* Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I was really looking forward to the concept of the show but feel it failed in several areas. Moving Wallpaper was too ''Oh Betty'' for my liking. Instead it should have been shot and wrote in a similar style to 'The Office'. Then Echo Beach, well that was terrible but I take it that was the point. However like a few others have pointed out. Was it really supposed to be that terrible and it really was crap and not in a funny way or is it just a terrible show overall? I mean if its like this every week its ratings are not going to keep up.
  • *Melissa**Melissa* Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Lucylock wrote: »

Yep. This proves it was shite then.

Looks like the ITV fans trying hard to prove someting.
  • mrsparadoxmrsparadox Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded both last night and just finished watching them.
    I enjoyed both. I think everyone needs to give it a little time to see how we are supposed to take Echo Beach, seriously or otherwise. I had my doubts yesterday but I think I'm going to give both shows a fair go :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    rspcaboi69 wrote: »
    I'm sure episode one of Eastenders was crap....

No, episode one of EE was truly brilliant.

It began with "the men" of the square kicking down the door of a flat and finding a dead old guy inside.
    It started with a fast pace and an excellent script and storylines and continued that way.

I think the trouble with any new soap is that its up against the ones that already exist, EE, Corrie, HO, Neighbours etc are all very much established and to put big ex stars from those other soaps is hard.

Martine and Jason's previous characters were high profile and very well loved in the shows they were in and because of that I think we expect too much from them in the first episode of EB. I think they and us need time to settle with the show, we need to stop thinking of them as Tiffany Mitchell and Scott Robinson (which is quite difficult) and remember that Jason Donovan is actually 40 now and could have grown up kids!! Thats bizarre enough...lol

I'm watching again tonight, I cant say whether its good or bad yet cos its not been on long enough...I do hope the accents are better tonight though.
  • PausePause Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You would think that from watching some of the awful acting, but I think you've got the wrong end of the stick.
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    According to Broadcast, EB and MW both got 5 million viewers last night, so a good start.
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    According to Broadcast, EB and MW both got 5 million viewers last night, so a good start.

Not a bad start, but it needs to keep this figures, as much as I enjoyed it I can see these figures slipping to about 3 million

Hope I am proved wrong though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was great and getting 5 million viewers is a great start.

If your a big fan of Hollyoaks and Home & Away or the film Blue Juice it was a great start.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually quite liked it, i'll be tunning in tonight to see what happens next.
    Not bad viewing figures either.