Airshow FM 87.9 Lincoln - I can hear this in Manchester!!

max_dbmax_db Posts: 3,892
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I could hear something faint on 87.9 on my domestic tuner but it was too faint to make out so I took a walk up the road with my Eton E5 and it came in pretty strong and there isn't a lift on from what I can see. It shows on the RSL list that it's coming from Waddington which is about 65 miles away from where I am in South Manchester!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Transmitting quite early for the airshow this weekend.
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the station is getting out quite far, heard it last week while driving through Newark - not quite as far as Manchester. I guess the transmitter is somewhere on the air base, and that itself is at the top of a 'hill', so the signal can get out quite far.
  • max_dbmax_db Posts: 3,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R300 wrote: »
    Yes, the station is getting out quite far, heard it last week while driving through Newark - not quite as far as Manchester. I guess the transmitter is somewhere on the air base, and that itself is at the top of a 'hill', so the signal can get out quite far.

It must be and if it's only running 25w ERP then it's putting out an incedible signal. :)

I can still pick it up today and conditions seem as normal so I'm impressed.
  • radiosgaloreradiosgalore Posts: 5,348
    Forum Member
    max_db wrote: »
    It must be and if it's only running 25w ERP then it's putting out an incedible signal. :)
    Well ill have to give it a go when Im back home. That's a massive distance for an RSL.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually quite confused as to how it's reaching this far, I telephoned them and they said they are transmitting from RAF Waddington air base which according to OS maps doesn't appear to be very high ASL. :eek:

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=raf+waddington&countryCode=GB#map=53.17106,-0.52357|14|4&dp=os&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:53.16641:-0.54193:14|waddington|Waddington,%20Lincoln,%20Lincolnshire,%20England,%20LN5%209
  • smorrissmorris Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max_db wrote: »
    I'm actually quite confused as to how it's reaching this far
    Possibly it's a freak refraction/reflection off some bit of terrain in the Pennines. It would be interesting to know how wide an area you get reception over.

I encountered a similar effect once in the Highlands: parts of the Crianlarich area (middle of nowhere, surrounded by mountains) get perfect reception of not only the national stations from Black Hill, but all the local stations too. Given the 55 miles and scores of mountains in between the two places, that should be impossible.

It seems to be due to the signal somehow being bounced down from a nearby mountaintop, probably by a conveniently angled cliff somewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smorris wrote: »
    Possibly it's a freak refraction/reflection off some bit of terrain in the Pennines. It would be interesting to know how wide an area you get reception over.

I encountered a similar effect once in the Highlands: parts of the Crianlarich area (middle of nowhere, surrounded by mountains) get perfect reception of not only the national stations from Black Hill, but all the local stations too. Given the 55 miles and scores of mountains in between the two places, that should be impossible.

It seems to be due to the signal somehow being bounced down from a nearby mountaintop, probably by a conveniently angled cliff somewhere.

That must be it, I don't think there's really many other possibilities to how else it could.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    RAF Waddington is right on the brink of Lincoln Edge so has a very good take off in the direction of Manchester. It is also probably a well engineered set-up with minimal losses so not too surprising that it is making the distance. FWIW it is also a good signal in N Norfolk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Grimsby, about forty miles away it sounds like sssssssssssssssss with very very low mumbling in the background.
  • Anti PlaylistAnti Playlist Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    I listened Wednesday driving around the Cave Wold area near Welton / Brough area of East Yorkshire. Good strong signal then, no RDS data but still impressive.
    :)
  • Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smorris wrote: »

The selection of FM stations in Crianlarich is awesome considering it's remote location.

A TV engineer friend told me years ago that there is a big slab of rock somewhere up a mountain to the north of the village that the FM signals from Blackhill bounce off.

Normally this would cause dreadful multipath, put as there is no "direct" signal getting in there, the stations come in loud and clear.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I've been to Waddington airshow I've had Airshow FM almost right to our front door in Nottingham!
    Not as far as Manchester but still far enough!

Actually it's quite a laugh to listen to - in 2008 we were listening on our way in and they were moaning about how one of the presenters who should have done the breakfast show was still asleep in the hotel room after being out on the razz the night before. Listening to the texts as people were queueing to get out in 2007 was fun too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone got any idea on TX power, I presume it's 25w?? I telephoned them but they were unable to supply me with such details.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 02nd, tried again and all I get is ssssssssssssss, it could be that mountainous region we call The Wolds blocking out the signal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's broadcasting from a plane? :)
  • PemblechookPemblechook Posts: 2,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would very much doubt it. 25 W from a low site and Penines in the way. Mind you there can be odd effects with hills in the way such as knife-edge propagation over a sharp hill top or reflections. You might get a signal over a small area of Manch say but nothing a mile or less away. The hill top has to be in line with the TX and RX I think for knife-edge. .
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spiderpig wrote: »
    Friday 02nd, tried again and all I get is ssssssssssssss, l.

A snake broadcasting?! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A snake broadcasting?! :eek:

Are you taking the hiss?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Very Poor in Congleton but strong in Telford & Stockport,
    knife edge refraction sounds the best explanation
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Run by Lincs FM basically, isn't it?
  • Mikes MikeMikes Mike Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it coming to Duxford one year.
  • CraigSteele2001CraigSteele2001 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt I can hear this station in Northampton though - I will give it a try later
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Massive signal near the coast in NW Norfolk, but I guess it is line of site so probably to be expected.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Back up at 7am tomorrow but will have issues to the North West until http://www.elasticfm.co.uk/ close down on FM this Friday